“Perfect place to stay in San Francisco”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Guest Suite

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Coffee & Tea
Heated Tile in Bathroom
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
Amanda B
Madison Heights, Virginia
“Perfect place to stay in San Francisco”
Reviewed 15 October 2017 for a stay in September 2017

I'm not sure that we can capture in words how much we enjoyed our honeymoon as a result of this rental. This is the first time that I have used Trip Advisor's rental option and I was a bit uncertain as to what to expect. Our host, Donna, was so communicative leading up to the trip- we sent regular emails and discussed possible sites to visit and exchanged contact information. This provided much comfort and allowed us to be at ease with our travel plans. Despite it being late at night when we arrived, she met us at the door to provide a walk through, showed us where everything was located and how to use it, and even made us some tea.

The suite was larger than we expected- offering a kitchen space that included an electric kettle, a dishwasher and large farmhouse sink, a microwave, and a full sized refrigerator. She had a variety of teas and coffee to sample, as well as an array of dishes and utensils to provide the option for eating in if we chose to purchase ready made options (we ate out as frequently as we could, but this was a great place option for snacking in the evening). In addition, the next day, she was courteous enough to offer to drive us to the grocery store to purchase items that we might need for our stay. She also provided details of our location in relation to other sites and restaurants that we might want to visit during our trip. Although we had tickets through a pre-purchased pass, she was also generous enough to offer to take us to the de Young Museum as guests. Had we not already purchased those items, that would have saved us quite a large sum of money.

Donna provided recommendations for restaurants and made us feel at home. She and I shared a love of cooking and discussed dishes that we enjoy to make. Her collection of cookbooks specific to San Francisco were also available in the suite to enjoy and I loved reading through them during the week. It also helped me to choose which one I would purchase as my souvenir for San Francisco. We also had access to a wonderful patio to have our coffee in the morning. The accommodations were inviting and the shower spacious and excellent. This might sound weird- but I can't tell you how disappointing it has been at times to get to a stay and realize that the water pressure is weak or the fixtures don't operate properly. This bathroom was lovely! The suite was decorated beautifully with an array of personally collected art and a variety of literature, innovative fixtures and surfaces, and useful information for the city. Walking maps were also available for use during our trip.

At the end of our stay, we were so saddened to leave. In addition to the wonderful experiences that we had, this suite was exceptional and we wouldn't have had the opportunity to enjoy ourselves as much if not for Donna's beautiful suite and absolutely kindness. We can't wait to return to San Francisco- it has truly captured our heart. Thank you, Donna, for such a wonderful memory.

23 Oct 2017
Dear Amanda and Ryan,
I have to thank you for being so communicative yourselves with your interests and needs, because you made my part of the bargain easy. It was a pleasure meeting you and spending some time together and I hope you decide to come back one day, maybe an anniversary!!! Thank you also for taking such good care of the property, and for letting us be a part of your celebration.
Nicholas...
Tampa, Florida
“Superb location, conveniently located in charming area and close enough to city-centre for short break.”
Reviewed 12 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Excellent facilities, with an especially comfortable bedroom, superb shower, spacious kitchen and all else in a spacious and clean environment, featuring a delightful secret garden hidden away from the hustle and bustle of the city! Superbly-located to visit all areas of interest, whilst public transport available if ever required. A brilliant discovery and so conveniently located in a truly charming area, especially with literally all the fantastic options for restaurants, cafes etc nearby in the local area (especially Nopa, Brenda's and Wine Cafe on Divisadero St!).

17 Jul 2017
Nicholas,
Thank you for your review and description of The Guest Suite and neighborhood.It was nice to discover that you enjoyed the garden and some of my restaurant recommendations. I rarely see guests using the garden, so it is especially nice to have it mentioned.
Littlemis...
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Excellent, comfortable, central location and superb host!”
Reviewed 22 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

The location is great for exploring San Francisco. Very close to a bus stop and quite a few amenities within walking distance. The neighbourhood has lots of beautiful Victorian buildings. I could access everywhere I wanted to go using the bus.

Lovely apartment and very comfortable. I loved the shower. There is everything you could need on holiday. Donna is wonderful, very helpful, friendly and respectful. I would stay here again. Donna took me to the store to get supplies when I first arrived, showed me around and offered to take me to different museums. If you need anything I recommend you discuss it with Donna. If she can help, I'm sure she will.

I would recommend the Guest Suite to solo travellers and couples.

Your age range 25-34
26 Apr 2017
Rebecca,
Your review is so wonderful, you make me want to book the Guest Suite for myself. I can't thank you enough for being such a lovely guest. It was so nice to be able to share some of my favorite places with you and have our conversations over several lunches. You truly are "huggable".
Alan P
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Very good accommodation and excellent host”
Reviewed 16 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

I have rated The Guest Suite 'excellent '.

If I just rated the accommodation I would rate this very good but the support, and help received by the host Donna easily springboards my rating to excellent.
From my first message to Donna enquiring about the accommodation to when Donna dropped me at the airport for my return home, she has been amazing.
Donna answered every query in detail, very promptly and most importantly covered everything I wanted to know
The day I arrived Donna not only spent time showing the apartment but then drove me around nearby streets showing restaurants and other things of interest. Donna then offered to take me to Trader Joe's to buy breakfast food, snacks etc
During my 9 day stay Donna also offered to drive me to other places. I took advantage of a couple of these.
My flight home didn't leave until 10pm so not only did Donna allow me to stay until 6pm but offered to drive me to the airport.
Now to comment on the apartment
It was very clean and functional. The kitchen was very well equipped but without a stove. (Donna does highlight this in her TripAdvisor posting). This didn't phase me as I was happy to eat at the many restaurants located nearby.
The bedroom is a good size with plenty of draws and wardrobe space. The bed was comfortable.
The bathroom was supplied with all soaps shampoos etc.
The apartment is located on a main bus route into the CBD or just a few minutes walk to another route to go, for example, to the Castro district. Notwithstanding its location traffic noise is virtually non existent
My only negative, and this is a personal one, is i like a view. The apartment offers a walk into Donna's well kept garden, but aside from this the windows just look onto adjoining walls
Would I go back.......yes without question!

26 Apr 2017
Alan,
Thank you for your thorough and kind review. As I had mentioned, I do like to offer a few extras for single travelers, since they pay the same as a couple. I try to be available yet respectful of my guests' privacy. Ah yes, the view, or lack thereof. San Francisco is unique in many ways and if you're not on a hill, your yard is facing all the neighbors on a 25'x 100' lot. Luckily the lots in our neighborhood are 37' longer than most of the city, so there's much more distance between buildings. The buildings are side by side and the walls you mentioned are in a lightwell, built only for air circulation and light, certainly not ideal, but standard in San Francisco Victorian and Edwardian neighborhoods. I would welcome you back anytime and hope next time, your wife may come with you.
Reviewed 3 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
3 Sep 2016
Dear Theresa and Paul, people as nice as both of you are why I am enjoying hosting so much. Sharing information and time with guests is not work for me, and your reciprocation made it truly a pleasure. We hope to see you in New Zealand one day. Knowing you especially liked my restaurant suggestions was gratifying. I'll be looking for new places, just in case you manage a 2nd trip to SF, and I hope you do.
Donna
385PeterC...
Rheinbach, Germany
“A place to come back to”
Reviewed 7 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

We stayed in the Guest Suite for a week in July while visiting our son in San Francisco.
We enjoyed our visit very much, not least because the apartment was such a lovely place, it really felt like home. It is well equipped, furnished in style and quality, with an eye for beauty and detail. The pictures give a very good and realistic idea of what you will find. The garden is a delight, it is a beautiful haven of peace and quiet in a bustling city.
The house is a beautiful Victorian house in McAllister Street, which is a recommendable neighbourhood with shopping facilities, restaurants and a lot to see at a walking distance. You will not need a car because public transportation is close and effective. Going to the city center is a matter of minutes.
Donna is a perfect host. She is there when you need her, helpful if you want information, suggestions or assistance (e.g. making it to a supermarket before closing time or getting to the airport). She had time for us, we really enjoyed having a friendly "neighbour".
We can recommend this apartment and will definitely come back for our next stay in San Francisco – and know we are welcome friends.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
7 Aug 2016
Dear Peter and Monika,

I once wrote a review for an Irish B&B titled "Arriving as Strangers, Leaving as Friends" and am delighted that you considered me in that same way. It means I was successful in making you feel welcomed and valued as guests. You are so very welcome to come back and next time I hope you make time for me to take you to the Academy of Science or De Young Museum as my guests. Since I am allowed 3 guests at the De Young, you may also invite your son.
Reviewed 30 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

17 Aug 2016
Vivienne,

Thank you so much for rewriting this review, since it, along with 15 others were lost when Tripadvisor purchased Housetrip. I feel naked without them!!! I have hopes that I will see you and them again one day. My best to you and Carey on your new home.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing