“Hotel is nice, just not the neighborhood that it's in.”
Review of Cova Hotel

Cova Hotel
Ranked #97 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Hotel is nice, just not the neighborhood that it's in.”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel has very spacious bathrooms! The room I stayed in was also good. The hotel is clean and well maintained. You know you're secured because you need to swipe your hotel card to get the elevator moving. They have complimentary breakfast which was nice. A small gym is also available for use by guests. Valet parking wasn't so bad - $27 for 1 day compared to the $40 I paid at the Executive Hotel Vintage Court in San Francisco. They have free shuttle service to Pier 39 and Union Square. My advise, take advantage of the shuttle service to Union Square. DO NOT WALK from Cova Hotel to Union Square. I walked instead of asking to be dropped off by the shuttle service thinking I would get a good glimpse of the city. This was such a big mistake! It was a scary walk from the hotel to Union Square - too many suspicious people looking at you. On top of that, the streets were just of foul smell! I may book this hotel again, but definitely not walk around this part of the city!

2 Thank Paul G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Read some reviews the day I was due to get to the Cova Hotel which left me extremely apprehensive about my arrival, had I read them sooner I would have probably cancelled my reservation!
Read how the hotel is in a dodgy area, this is an understatement! Every taxi we got in whilst in we stayed in San Fran either laughed or asked us why we were staying in this area and that they would never recommend it.
The area is bad for homeless people anyway but the hotel is by a soup kitchen which means it attracts more than just the local homeless people.
In all fairness they didn't bother us (not that we dared walk anywhere!) but as a young woman it is unsettling.
The guy who checked us in didn't beat around the bush and told us this on arrival which I think is really commendable. He swiftly told us where not to walk and was really helpful and friendly.
Our room was fine, nice big bed and clean, no air con just a fan machine in the room which didn't help much with the heat.
The room needs a mirror other than the one in the bathroom, otherwise prepare to do shifts around the only one in the bathroom when getting ready with whoever you're staying with!
Free continental breakfast included in the stay, toast, waffles, cereal and fruit etc, basic but a nice touch and always set us up for the day.
All in all the hotel is alright and the staff were lovely but unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it to anyone or stay here again solely because of its location, which is a shame because its nothing they can control!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Y1988
Jodoigne, Belgium
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed 4 days at the Cova hotel. There is small parking available during check in time and a paying parking behind the Hotel. We didn't use them.

We had a pre-paid reservation the check-in was therefore very fast.
We found the room to be big enough for two and nicely decorated. We had a king bed, a desk and a sofa. The bathroom was equipped with a bathtub and a shower curtain.

The breakfast was complimentary to the room, they have some cereals, two kind of bread (white & cereal), strawberry jelly and a bread toaster. The cereals were good but the bread is industrial. Not very tasty and way to soft compared to European standard.
They also serve some fresh fruits, orange & apple juice, coffee, milk etc...
There was also a waffle machine that we didn't use.
If the weather is nice, you can enjoy your breakfast on the roottop of the hotel... lovely..
In conclusion, I would say the breakfast is ok but below my expectations. Mostly because they mention : "Daily Deluxe Continental Breakfast of delicious pastries...". There were no pastries available and nothing "deluxe" in my opinion.

The location is ok, it is not far from Market street (malls) and a "short" walk from Fishermans. There are also a lot of public transportation very close to the hotel. They offer a free shuttle that we didn't use.
There are some homeless people in the surrounding streets of the hotel but they don't mean harm at all. We walked a lot and were never bothered.

Last but not least, if I ever go back to SF, I would certainly consider staying back there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2013

So after going to the baseball game we checked in around midnight, and had to wait an hour for the front desk to find our reservation. There was only one staff member on site and unfortunately her first language was not English, which made it very difficult to communicate with each other (please do not take this as racism, it is in the same realm of languages as my ancestral tongue - not my language but close).

So finally, exhausted at 1am and checked in, we found ourselves in a big, modern and clean room, with a huge bathroom with all new fixtures. Parking was $12 for 12 hours. The neighborhood was a little scary - we didn't feel comfortable going outside after midnight to find some food - so simply looked at a delivery menu.

If you have a car and will not be walking around after dark - the hotel is nice and can be a pleasant stay.

Los Angeles, California, Usa
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Spent four days at the hotel with my family that has never been to San Francisco. The hotel and staff were very accommodating. The shuttle to Fishermans Wharf and Union Square is handy, but book early. It's only a 6 or 7 block walk to Union Square which is quick and interesting. Also about 6 blocks way is the Streetcars that will take you to Union Square, Embarcadero and Wisherman's Wharf for only $2.00. The morning breakfast is very good and starts your day off just right. Walking in the area is interesting, and close to the Civic Center. I enjoyed staying here and would stay there again. The price is right, the rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is yummy and the staff are courteous. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wayne R
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My friend and I drove from LA to San Francisco via the 101 Black Route. Upon checking in to Cova Hotel, we found that the staff were very friendly and helpful. They were able to answer all our queries and was very willing to offer help and provide recommendations to us. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel and there was also complimentary shuttle from the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square which made the whole planning and walking around the city even more convenient. The rooms are very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Best of all they have complimentary wifi. Overall its a great hotel if you are looking for value for money and on a budget. There's also nice Vietnamese and Thai restaurants around the hotel. Its within the Tenderloin area in San Francisco.

2 Thank Adshanghai30
Aireys Inlet, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Let me first begin by saying this is the first time I have ever been moved to write a review of a hotel online. My fiance and I were visiting san francisco in May, we booked three nights at the cova hotel.
The hotel has been renovated recently and is in excellent condition, clean and uncluttered design. The rooms are bigger than you would expect with some of the most comfortable beds we slept in during six weeks in the states.

We were particularly happy to find the roof top terrace, great views over the city skyline and a perfect spot to enjoy an glass of wine after a day walking and exploring.

The staff at the hotel went out of their way to help us. The first morning we were there we tried to book the complimentary shuttle to fishermans wharf , it was already full so instead of waiting for the next service the lady at reception suggested we catch the street car along market street. This was a short walk from the hotel and for 2 dollars we were able to get all around the city. Reception explained the different routes and drew us a map to get to the stops.

All of the staff we came into contact with at the cova displayed the same friendly proffesionalism, there is obviously an excellent corporate culture at the hotel.
Angelo Reyes , the director of operations and Joyce the reservation supervisor both made us feel welcome at the hotel.
We had a second stay at the cova before flying out of SFO, when we checked in Angeleo and Joyce only had twin rooms available so they were kind enough to upgrade us to one of the hotels suites.
Breakfast was enough to get you moving and out for the day, house blend coffee was beter than expected.
In other reviews people are talking about the neighborhood; it is urban with some great bars and restaurants within walking distance central to all that the city has to offer.
Musuem of asian art ia a five minute walk from hotel. Yes it can be interesting but is nothing to be concerned about, it is a real neighborhood with flavour.
We walked a lot, morning through to late night stumbles and at no stage did we feel uncomfortable in the area.
In summary if the cova was anywhere else in the city it would be an extra 100 a night so keep the money to eat at one of the citys great restaurants.
Thanks for the hospitality cova , will be staying again when in SF.
Simon Lawson Laurel Rymer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple