“Great for money”

Cova Hotel
Ranked #99 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel isn't exactly located in the safest part of San Francisco and is recommended not to walk the streets at all. But i only stayed in San Fran for 3 nights and had no problem (we didn't walk the streets we caught cabs or the shuttle) but for a cheap hotel the service is great, the rooms are clean and nice. You get free wifi, free shuttle bus to the main parts of town (time schedules apply) and you got free breakfast every morning. It's not exactly centrally located but it's not far from everything either about a $5 cab ride to Union square and $10 to Fisherman's wharf.

• Stayed: June 2014
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Greetings fionaaaa,

Thank you so much for recently staying with us and for allowing us to accommodate you during your San Francisco trip. We appreciate your recent review and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle we offer and that it as able to make you feel more comfortable in the area, the service we provided, complimentary amenities and continental breakfast. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,199)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location of this hotel is on Ellis Street, please bare in mind there is a homeless shelter on this street which gives out food etc 3 times a day. With that in mind, there are several homeless druggies, alcoholics, street walkers etc within very close proximity of the hotel. However, in order to compensate for this the hotel does provide a free shuttle bus to take you to union square and fishermans wharf, which are main tourist attractions and therefore a lot safe for you to catch on going transport to your required destination. We did walk to union square a few times, you just have to go up a block and then walk parallel to Ellis Street so you miss the shelter, this walk is only 10 minutes so not too far from the centre which is great.

Despite the location though, this hotel provides great service and the staff are very friendly with lots of information should you require it. The rooms and bathroom are very well sized with fresh clean bed linen. There are lots of complimentary things also including iron, ironing board, towels, shampoo, shower gel etc etc. There is also an information book that the hotel has put together, this is particularly useless for good places to eat etc. The hotel also has very good security, you need a room key in order to enter the lift to get up to the residents floors so no unauthorised persons can enter your landing.

Breakfast came with the hotel and it is located in a bistro coming off the hotel in a separate building. I personally didn't find the service here brilliant but it was ok. The breakfast consisted of toast, 4 different cereals to chose from, 4 pieces of cheese on your given plate, a slice of rolled ham, a boiled egg with a slice of tomato and lettuce leaf. It was ok as a start to the day, I found the toast cold though and the cereal often ran out.

San Francisco is a beautiful city though and it has so much to offer, this hotel is a great base for all your tourist needs as long as you don't have children and you are not easily put off by the sight of many homeless people.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean1974
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Greetings Dean1974,

I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm very proud that my staff was able to accommodate you with great service and that you found the rooms, amenities and cleanliness to be sufficient to your needs. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and offer value amenities and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to our location. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle we offer and that it as able to make you feel more comfortable in the area. The walk from the hotel going to union square is indeed about 10 minutes and all you have to do is avoid one street to have a more pleasant view of the streets. Also as you mentioned, the hotel is very secure. Only registered guest can enter the hotel lobby and elevators at all times so i'm glad that you felt secure while staying with us.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Best service I have received at a hotel in San Francisco. Michael at the front desk greeted me upon arrival and assured me of a great stay. The rooms were big and clean, with all the amenities one would expect from a top of the line hotel. Highly recommend this hotel!!!

Room Tip: Talk to Michael Ednilao at the front desk.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Greetings mayans82,

I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. It's rewarding for me as a manger to hear that Michael made a significant impact during your stay. I will make sure to share your review to him. Michael has been with the company for 3 1/2 years and has truly grown as an individual. We pride ourselves in provide excellent service and we always try our best to go above and beyond to make sure that all guests are taken cared of as much as possible.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Rooms are good for the price, comfy bed, clean and bathroom is nice and clean.
Staff are helpful and provide great service.
Free breakfast next door is good.
It is on quite a dodgy street, a lot of drug dealers in the area and homeless shelters are all around these street so lots of homeless people. Felt quite unsafe at night but hotel offers free shuttles around so that was helpful.
Would not stay here again as the location was not for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings anzydrkn,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience COmfort and VAlue. From our service, amenities, hotel room, cleanliness and food service was all satisfactory during your stay with us. On the other hand, i do apologize that the location of the hotel was not for you but i'm glad to hear that the complimentary shuttle service was helpful

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We purchases groupons for 2 rooms for one night stay at this hotel June 2014. One room was ready for us when we checked in around 2:45pm but the other wasn't ready. So we told the rep to hold a double bed room for us and we'll check in after we come back from exploring. But when we came back at at 11pm,they told us the only room availble was a queen bed room. Why did they have give away all the double bed rooms when we already told them to earlier. Very upset.

• Stayed: June 2014
Angelo_Reyes, Manager at Cova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Greetings zumishi,

We do sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced in regards to your room request with a double bed. Our management team would like to impress upon you that the problem you experienced will indeed be attended. I would like to hear more of your recent experience so i could address them and make sure that we are on the right track in making sure that we continue to improve our service. I would like to also apologize that we did not have an air conditioning in our guestrooms. Unfortunately, we are one of the many hotels in San Francisco that does not have it.

At your convenience, please kindly contact me below. I will also send you a personal message to make sure that i'm able to contact you as early as possible.

Once again, thank you so much for being patient and for staying with us. We hope that you will be able to visit the beautiful city of San Francisco in the near future. If there's anything we can assist you, please feel free to contact us at anytime at 415 771-3000 or by emailing me at directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Cova Hotel was a great stay. The staff was very friendly and gave us tips about where to visit and how to get around the city. The shuttle service was also awesome. It runs every hour to and from the Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf. The shuttle service was very convenient and not very crowded but be sure to reserve your seat with the front desk staff. The complimentary breakfast at the cafe next to the hotel was also great. Overall, if your looking for a great hotel with value, the Cova Hotel is it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Greetings kunp17,

I'm glad to hear that you found our front office team to be very friendly and they were able to give suggestions or tips on places to visit and how to get around the city. It's also great that you took advantage of the our complimentary shuttle service from 8am - 10pm to select locations in the city. In regards to our restaurant "Mr. Crave", I will make sure to pass on your comments directly to the management team.

Overall, i'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience COmfort and VAlue. I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Made to feel welcomed from the moment we walked in front door. The staff was very helpful, they gave us helpful tips. They answered all our questions we smiling faces. The hotel has a relaxing, calm , and refreshing vibe. I would stay they again.

Room Tip: There was a fan in the closet and that was nice and helpful.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Greetings Angela_bedford,

Being a senior contributor such as yourself, i'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I'm very proud that my staff was able to accommodate and made you feel welcomed from the moment you stepped in on our property. We pride ourselves in providing excellent service and i'm glad that we were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to the shower water pressure. I will make sure to pass these comments to my management team for consideration and future action. I hope that you will be able to visit San Francisco again soon and when you do, please contact me directly and i will ensure that you get the best possible rate. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to call us at 415 77-13000 or email me directly at angelo.reyes@covahotel.com at anytime. Thank you again once again for being our guest and we hope to see you soon.