“Great location, clean and comfy rooms”

Cow Hollow Inn and Suites
Ranked #38 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Great location, clean and comfy rooms”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Being a solo female traveller I wanted somewhere safe, comfortable, cheap (for san fran!) and in a good location. This place fits these criteria.

The area has made me fall in love with San Francisco. It's very picturesque. Go to the strip of shops on union and chestnut street, delicious food and only a short walk away. If you walk down Fillmore street toward the water there is a breathtaking view of the harbour.

The hotel itself is plain but very clean and comfortable. Everything works well and the staff are helpful. I had no car, but the inn is close to transport. I like walking and ended up walking to many destinations. They were long-ish walks but a great way to discover the city.

I stayed on the second floor, it is a bit noisy but this didn't really bother me and I fell asleep at a reasonable hour each night with no problems.

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank KatieMoggy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 September 2010

This place is located near an entire area of trendy restaurants and bars. This is great if you plan to stay up late and party with the young crowd. However, do not stay here if you want to sleep before 2 am or have young kids. The rooms have no ventilation so your options are to sleep in a stuffy, hot room or have the windows open. With the windows open you can hear loud music, loud voices, people yelling back and forth and even conversations on the street. This goes on all night long only getting a little quieter after 2 am but then the garbage trucks showed up at 5 ish. I think the buildings cause the noise to echo b/c we were on the second floor and it sounded like the people were outside our window. Also the windows are huge and have no screens so this is NOT a good place for little kids. It is clean and the noise is not the fault of the management. We did think it was a bit pricey (over $300/night) as the rooms were dated and smelled musty (it actually smelled liked curry as well but maybe someone was cooking as these units have kitchens.) However, it was clean and if you want to party all night - stay here with friends - split the cost - and you will have a great time. The area around the hotel has an very active, fun nightlife. This was just not a good choice for us b/c we were with two kids (11 & 14) and did not want to stay up past 2 am.

Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank KathleenB05
victoria
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Efficient check-in, great amenities, parking is nice. Great value.

Salem, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Stayed here 4 days, picked this place based on other tripadvisor reviews.

The hotel isn't in the touristy part of town, but it's half a block from many good and trendy eateries and shops on Chestnut St. in the Marina district, and only a few blocks from the Fillmore district (also trendy, but an uphill hike if you walk). The area is mostly residential except for the area immediately around the hotel and seemed pretty safe at all hours. The location is well served by buses, and I guess you could walk (a ways) to Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach - but it would be a fairly long walk!

The hotel is right on Lombard street which is a heavily traveled 6 lane thoroughfare, so traffic can be noisy, However, even though our room was on Lombard, I slept OK with earplugs (which the hotel will furnish if you ask!).

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful - due to a snafu on our end we had reserved two rooms when we only needed one, and they let us cancel one of the rooms right we checked in, without a penalty. They were also helpful with telling us what buses to take, where to eat, etc.

The hotel itself isn't that interesting - the entire ground floor (and the one below that) is just a parking garage (not too big, and very safe feeling - the reception office faces into it) and the reception office is just one little room in the corner of the first floor. Our room was big, and equipped with the usual stuff you would expect (but no mini-fridge and a non-HD TV). Everything was in good shape and spotlessly clean, although not all the furniture matched and there was a spot in the ceiling that needed some plastering (looked like there had been a small leak in the past).

P.S. We stayed right after the review was posted mentioning bedbugs. We did not encounter any and as I said our room was spotlessly clean (yes, we looked at the mattress & pad, all nice and clean). I did ask reception about that review and they said that guest had not been bitten by bedbugs. I didn't ask what they HAD been bitten by or if it had happened at the hotel, but at any rate, bedbug bites can look different on different people.

2 Thank Sashazur
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 August 2010

My 87 year old Mother and my two sisters have returned to the Cow Hollow Suites for the third year. We find the suites comfortable, clean and very inviting, but most of all we found the suites safe for 4 women who enjoy traveling to San Francisco. The house keeping staff was friendly and all our needs were met, especially my mother's handicap needs. The Suites are located within walking distance to many shops and resturants.
We would return to the Cow Hollow Suites and have recommended this hotel to all our friends.
From 4 Texans

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
CA
Reviewed 17 August 2010

I booked a night at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn based on a friend's recommendation. The hotel appeared clean and a great value for the price. Unfortunately, I woke up the next morning with bites on my arms, face, and legs. There are few mosquitos in San Francisco at this time of the year and the bites were not like any bug or spider bite I had ever had before. Everyone I showed the bites to agreed that they were definitely bed bugs bites! If not for the bugs I would have given the hotel a much higher rating!

5 Thank e2006
SanFranciscoCowguy, Manager at Cow Hollow Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
The contribution to your site regarding Cow Hollow Motor Inn on August 17 is very troubling and I would like to respond in some detail. It is most unfortunate that the guests did not mention that there was any problem with their stay while they were here. With no way of knowing who, when, or where the alleged problem occurred, we can't verify it or resolve it.

A few comments about their specific allegations: regarding mosquitoes - having a semi-arid and windy climate, we are blessed with few mosquitoes. However, any irrigated environment, (my backyard), will support their breeding. This seems to be the case on the East side of our building, where there are some bushy trees belonging to the bank next door. We do not have screens on our windows and we use no chemicals in our rooms so the windows are often open to the fresh air. We have had a number of recent mosquito sightings in that area are taking steps to cut the trees back. If they were in that area - the bites were probably from mosquitoes.

That brings me to the accusation that they were "definitely bedbug bites - all of our friends said so". Are their friends experts? Have they even seen a bedbug bite? Based on every source I have seen; there is no way to identify a bedbug bite with any accuracy - everyone reacts differently to them. No medical professional would confirm bedbug bites based on observation alone. I suggest that they refer to Bedbugs.com, a very informative and unbiased forum for people concerned with this issue. They confirm the impossibility of absolutely identifying a bite as a bedbug and offer a myriad of photos that show verified bites that manifest themselves in numerous ways, analogous to many other possibilities.

Given the rabid media coverage of this increasing problem; (since Europe stopped using DDT long before us, they have suffered for years; they deal with it), every mosquito, sand flea, spider bite, and acne pimple turns into a complaint about bedbugs. A few well documented facts are worth mentioning about our specific property.

Every single claim of insect bites results in an immediate, comprehensive breakdown and visual inspection of the room in question to determine any possible infestation. If you know what to look for, bedbugs; or their signature signs, are not that difficult to spot. This is followed within a day by a more comprehensive inspection by our staff engineer who has years of experience in this area. Even if he finds nothing, he does a treatment with Diotomaceous earth as a preventative measure. This activity is documented and rechecked in two weeks. If he were to find an infestation, the mattress and box spring would be bagged and discarded and all soft goods would be isolated and laundered or dry cleaned.. The room would be taken out of service as well as the rooms on either side and above and below. A professional pest control firm would be called in and the room and adjacent rooms would be treated and kept out of service for two weeks, (the gestation period). Upon re-inspection of all rooms with no findings, the adjacent rooms would be put back in service. The infected room, however, would be treated again. After another two weeks, it would be re-inspected. If no further evidence of infestation was found, it would be treated for a third time and reinspected after two weeks.

With the extent of this problem nationally, we are lucky indeed to have experienced only three infestations in the eleven years I have been Manager at the Cow Hollow. The last being more than six months ago. Of course, with the proliferation of the problem, constant media coverage, and the difficulty what is, and what is not, a bite; guest claims are not uncommon.

It is of huge significance to note that not one of our guests' complaints has resulted in a verified infestation and that the actual infestations were discovered by staff, with no knowledge or complaints by guests before we dealt with the issue; which incidentally, did not return as a result of our thorough and comprehensive procedures. I have a standing $50 bounty to Housekeeping for any bedbug presented to me. Best $150 I ever spent. We are on top of this, and will remain so: for the sake of our guests and our business.

This arbitrary and fallacious review has caused material damage to our business and reputation and its continued posting is unacceptable to the owners because it is simply not true. I request that you post my response and remove the posting immediately. We have enjoyed and appreciated the positive reviews on TripAdvisor by hundreds of guests who value our hospitality and customer service. We can not allow this slanderous and possibly libelous accusation to continue in a public forum.

The 1st Amendment allows people the freedom to their own opinion, not their own facts. Please contact me personally if you like. I invite this guest to contact me so I can do a thorough inspection of their room and provide them with an honest assessment of my findings.

Steven Teed, Manager
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Cow Hollow Inn isn't fancy or upscale but it's very reasonably priced and most important to me, it was very clean and comfortable. It might be a ways away from Fisherman's Wharf but we did walk there one day so it's doable if you like to walk. It's right on the bus line so it's a convenient place to stay once you learn the transportation system of the city buses or the double-deckers. The staff were very friendly and helpful with maps and giving us info. about how to ride their public transportation. We wished our room had a small refrigerator but that was no big deal.
The FREE parking in their garage was a big plus as many other hotels charge you to park there. Also, another big bonus was the excellent restaurant they have, just take the elevator down or walk outside. We ate breakfast there twice and it was excellent with delicious homemade pancakes and crepes! We would definitely stay here on our next trip to San Francisco.

1 Thank sharpteacher