“Good stay, not perfect”

Ranked #112 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
milan
“Good stay, not perfect”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The front desk staff was very welcoming and sometimes even too much overwhelming. They ask you personal questions to make you feel welcome but they don't need to cross the line. Room was nice, well appointed, not the biggest I have ever been but good for San Francisco standards. Bathroom amenities were ok, I would have expect a bit more being the hotel called "Diva". Location is great, walk 10 minutes to Powell St Bart station, 3 minutes to Union Square. I would go back only if rates would stay the same, if I have to spend more than I would go in a different hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Two great things about this hotel: its location and its staff. For your quick needs, a Starbucks is right beside the hotel and a Walgreens is about a 1/4 block. It's surrounded by a number of restaurants within reasonable walking distance as well.
I can't say enough about how well this staff was ready to serve or help us out. Anytime we needed transportation, they were right there to flag down a cab. Anytime we needed city information, they were more than happy to help.

The decorations and architecture both were a breath of fresh air from normal hotels. Our room had a lot of personality. This is a boutique hotel in a large metropolitan area so don't expect a large room. San Francisco streets can be loud so the healthy whir of the air conditioner drowned out a lot of the noise.

Room Tip: Our room was faced away from street traffic. Not a great view (go outside if you want a view!) but i...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel's location is PHENOMINAL. You're less than a 10 minute walk from just about everything in Union Square, cable car stops, and a 30 minute hike to the pier. The staff was very, very friendly and the fact that there's a Starbucks to the left of the hotel, a diner, further beyond that, and a bar to the right of the hotel make it a good spot. But that's where the good ends.

The rooms left so much to be desired. I'm 6'1" and average build - I felt like an ant within the room, it was absolutely tiny, despite it being a Deluxe Queen. I literally had maybe 30 cubic feet to work with in the bathroom, and the room couldn't have been larger than your average studio apartment.

The bed was comfy at least, but that quickly went out the window with the constant party noise and garbage trucks, police sirens, street sweepers, UFOs and whatever else seemed to be going on between the hours of 11PM and 5AM. If I had to do it over, I'd stay somewhere else more modernized and with better soundproofing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Adrian S
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Diva. Hotel Diva offers various types of accommodations from deluxe rooms to executive king suites and studios which are comparatively bigger in size. We also have deluxe kings available at the property. Please let us know the next time you're in town so we can guarantee a king for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Diva.

Best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Diva for two nights in February. I was traveling on business, and this was one of the few hotels in the Union Square area that was within federal per diem. This was a funky, boutique hotel - very clean and modern with very simple and tasteful black and white interiors. (Some designs are risque and amusing, like the room shades, designed with women's bodices...) I found the room very comfortable - including the bed, nice, flatscreen wall mounted TV, in-room coffee, nice desk and chair, ample closet space for hanging clothes, and fairly spacious bathroom. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was great - right in the middle of Union Square and walking distance to Chinatown, Market Street, etc. It was also helpful to have a Starbucks in the lobby and a Rite Aid on the next corner.

The very few downsides were: 1) not much natural light - I was traveling with a colleague, and both of our rooms faced alleys/the fire escape of the building next door and 2) rooms kind of small - my room was bigger than my colleague's but hers felt pretty cramped. Overall, though, I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want to be in Union Square and are traveling on a budget.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Seaside, OR
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Spent a night at the hotel Diva last week. It was very clean, the bed comfortable, and it was quiet. My room faced the interior light well, but the room was so nice it didn't bother me. The decor is all black and white, with metal accessories. The location is excellent, the front desk and valets went above and beyond, and I will definitely stay there again. If you prefer boutique hotels, you have to try this one!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I travel to San Francisco often being that I live in Los Angeles and my sister lives up there, It is less than a days worth of driving or an hour flight; so the city is not difficult for me to get to. I travel up there about once a month and almost every time if I am not staying at my sister's, I will stay at Hotel Diva. Truly for the money you pay at this hotel and the location it is in, considering all the other mega hotels around it, it is totally worth it! I give this hotel 4 stars because truly it is not a 5 star hotel. It is very small but very modern and updated. It is in the middle of union square just walking distance to bars, restaurants, all the shopping you could want and of course Ruby Skye and the Starlight room if you're into those popular attractions.
The decor is very modern and hip with lots of black and white everywhere, which I love. Beds are comfortable, space is small but it is more of a boutique style hotel. The people at the front desk are always willing to go above and beyond for their guests and always want to make sure everyone is satisfied. I also love the way the windows actually open in this hotel, so many hotels in the city don't allow you to fully open windows or to open them at all, some are sliding doors with a screen or a small knob that you can crank to crack it open, but I love the single pane that slides up to open and let you get the fresh air! have now stayed there multiple times and I still plan to go back again :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a window facing the street so at least you get a decent view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzi F
lopezv, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hi Suzi F,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Diva. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best regards,
Union City, California
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Hotel Diva was the perfect place for my friends and I! It's super close to all the restaurants and night life! Walking distance to basically everything and anything! The hotel is very "chic" and trendy and the staff is just wonderful! It definitely is a FIVE STAR stay! The beds are super comfortable that you don't want to wake up the next morning. I loved that we could keep our luggage in the storage area after we checked out! I would definitely recommend DIVA for couples and/or girls who are looking for a girls night out hotel! Thanks team DIVA!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Personality H, Manager at Hotel Diva, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hi hb8787

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review and share it with other travelers. It is very important for us to know what made your experience so special and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning for your next trip to San Francisco.
We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best Regards