“Excellent hotel”

Hotel Zetta San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel is a hit on many levels. It's located in the center of everything; you literally don't have to cross the street for shopping, restaurants, or to get transportation (even public transportation). My room was on the fourth floor and faced Mission Street. I could see the rooftop of the adjacent building, the Mission Street parking garage and the InterContinental Hotel (with the blue tinted glass) towering behind it. It was pretty spacious, clean, and well-appointed with a safe, well-stocked mini-bar, etc. The bathroom was equally spacious, clean, and well-appointed. The HD TV was huge with great signal. However, I spent most of my time outside and didn't get to use the TV as much. I did not hear any outside traffic noises except for the occasional muted siren from emergency vehicles.

Another hit was that apparently I was on the "green" plan, which meant I had a $10 credit for use towards the mini-bar. I didn't know about it until I checked out, but the front desk agent gave me bottles of water instead. Oh, the front desk staff were very nice and never failed to greet me each time I returned to the hotel.

The misses: while some people complain about parking, I consider it a cost of doing business with all San Francisco hotels, so I would not count parking as a miss -- especially as I didn't use that service. Some of the minor misses would be having to hear the occupants in adjacent rooms (but it sounded like they were talking extra-loud and being extra-exuberant); if they spoke in their normal volumes I suppose I wouldn't hear a thing. The a/c unit was also quite loud, but didn't bother me too much. I'd rather be in a noisy cool room than a quiet, but overly warm room (plus I always bring earplugs). The double-paned window opened could open, which is what I did on my first day. When I looked to the side-street below, I saw a bunch of industrial trash containers. Not a great sight and you don't see them if you look straight out the window. However, the trash containers are kind of smelly and there are flies. I mention this not because of the smell (which I didn't notice) but because a fly found its way into the room. I managed to chase it back out and I kept the window shut from then on. That's it, I don't have much else to complain about.

A hotel like this deserves multiple return visits, which I intend to do.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bay_Arean2
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear Bay-Arean2,
Thank you for staying with us and for using Trip Advisor to share your experience. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, location and the room. Our design inspiration is Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose and we are also incorporating it in our operation, I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our Stay Green program during your stay. Thank again, the entire team at Hotel Zetta is looking forward to welcoming you back.
Benjamin Duverge - General Manager

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at this hotel before the renovation and the difference is incredible. It has a very urban and modern look but intimate and warm feel. The rooms are great, especially the wonderful bath rooms and large screen tv's. I liked the ability to have limited food service, but can't wait for the restaurant to be finished. The hotel staff remind me of some of the B&B's I've stayed at in Mendocino. They are all about the guests. Great job Hotel Zetta!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 737Jason737
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear 737Jason737,
Thank you for coming back and staying with us after out $13 Millions transformation, I am glad that you are as excited as we are about our new, unique and exciting design and our very friendly team. I will make sure to celebrate your comments with them as they are very proud of what they do and they love to hear it from our guests. We are looking forward to welcoming you back when our restaurant opens in August.
Happy travels in California!

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here for thee days and was pleasantly surprised on the second night to discover that the clock/docking station on my nightstand was actually a streaming media station connected to my room TV. I pulled up Netflix on my iPhone and was able to watch a couple episodes on the large HD TV with the touch of a button. First time I have ever seen that implemented in a hotel room. The bar downstairs is small, but engaging with interactive games to play with your friends. Wi-Fi was great and actually fast....

Room Tip: Rooms on 4th and 7th Floor have stronger Wi-Fi
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear DavidL,
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you had an opportunity to use our G-link system, it is indeed a very cool piece of equipment and I am always amazed with the quality of the video streaming on our HD TV's. Hopefully you had a chance to experience our Wii station in our Playroom. Thank you again for staying with us, hopefully we will welcome you back at Hotel Zetta soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel Zetta is the new wave of stylish boutique hotels. This modern hotel has one of a kind decorations and art. It is a hotel that will give you an exceptional sensory experience. On the first floor you are greeted by a friendly staff, a swanky bar, and a cozy seating area. On the second floor there is a "playroom" that has old and new games that will keep children and adults alike entertained. The rooms are spacious with comfortable, contemporary furniture. Every aspect of the hotel is entriquing and welcoming. I definitely recommend staying at this hotel if you want to experience San Francisco the right way.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Jess Z

Dear Jess Z,
What a nice review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with other travelers on Trip Advisor, I am sure that they will find it useful. I am so excited that you loved the hotel and I can assure you that with our soon to be open restaurant it will be even better. I truly hope that your travels bring you back to Hotel Zetta and our wonderful city.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

I have to hold off on giving this hotel a really overwhelmingly "excellent" review for two reasons. The first is location. When leaving the hotel, market street and the general area to the right becomes a little iffy at night. To the left is Yerba Buena, Moscone and some really nice shops and restaurants. This has a pretty minimal impact to my review. The second and more important was disorganization of the staff and service. While all the staff where always incredibly eager to help us and beyond helpful/nice, they are still quite disorganized (understanding that they just reopened in the very recent past month or so). They called me to see if I needed a ride to the airport the next morning..but did so accidentally a few days before I was actually checking out, the maid service failed to replace almost empty TP which made us have to call the front desk twice to have it delivered to the room. They did arrange a car to take us to the airport on departure..we decided to leave a bit early and they eagerly called us an earlier ride..however, even though I informed them to cancel the later car, they forgot and the service called me several times while I was at the airport. Overall the hotel was beautiful, the rooms were great, and there is an awesome lobby with oversized plinko, pool, Nintendo Wi-U, etc. I would recommend a stay if you don't mind the sometimes inconveniences of a learning staff.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank zsatko

Dear Zach S,
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to share your experience with the hotel team. I can assure you that the entire team is eager to provide an excellent experience and that we will put your comments to good use. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our Playroom and hope that you managed to score several 10's on our Plinko wall. Thank you again, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Stayed here for work for 5 nights. The hotel itself is really nice. Great beds, great TVs, big rooms, very stylish. Pretty great on every level.

Staff was also really nice. Really zero complaints. My only reservation would be based on location. Neighborhood is fine, but just a few blocks away from one of the seediest parts of town. But that was really the only negative.

1  Thank GilFennerty
Benjamin D, General Manager at Hotel Zetta San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear GilFennerty,
Thank you for the overall great comment and for staying with us. San Francisco is one of the most vibrant and divers city in the world and our location, adjacent to San Francisco shopping mecca and a few steps from the convention center makes us a great destination whether you are traveling for business or pleasure. As with any big city some neighborhoods are better than other and our team is here to assist you in navigating our wonderful city.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Zetta.
Regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I stayed at Hotel Zetta two nights for business and I was delighted by the attentive front desk staff and the gorgeous art in the hotel and in my room. It's a newish hotel and it feels new in terms of the furnishings and cleanliness. It also is well located, just south of Market and within walking distance to Union Square as well as the Moscone Convention Center, not to mention the mall--it seems like the hotel is wedged between Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. The drawbacks were slow internet--internet is free for one device, but it was not enough to play streaming video even on a laptop. In addition, room service was very slow in the morning for a very simple breakfast. In addition, the wake-up call I ordered was seven minutes late. That's the first time I've experienced that in many business trips to San Francisco staying at other hotels.

Dear San_Diego_Traveler5,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience! I am delighted that you enjoyed our decor and attentive front desk. I will personally look into your comments and I can assure you that they will be addressed. We are offering complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel for one device with ample bandwidth for email and regular internet browsing, we are also offering a fee option for unlimited bandwidth and several devices more suitable for heavier streaming. Thank you again for staying with us, I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon.