“Great boutique hotel in San Fran”

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #54 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Burlington, NJ
“Great boutique hotel in San Fran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I was booked at the Hotel Rex by a client for the huge Oracle Open World conference. When I got the booking email, I was like "what the?". So I popped open trip advisor and saw that it was highly rated, and felt much better. The Hotel Rex is a really nice place. I've been staying here for the past 10 days. The rooms are small, but everything else about the hotel is just excellent. The hotel has an old world library feel. The look and feel of the hotel, and the decor are fresh and high quality. It appears as if this hotel were recently renovated, as the paint and wood surfaces are fresh looking. The hotel has a somewhat classy and upscale feel, but in a boutique way. I found it very refreshing, as I travel frequently, and usually stay in mostly higher end corporate chain hotels.

The room was very comfortable to sleep and work. There is a desk with a built in fridge, with some mini-bar items, but a large amount of space to put your own items. There is a big armoire and a decent sized dresser. The bed was nice and firm, and very comfortable.. The bathroom is not cramped and well appointed. There is a decent sized LED TV on the wall over the desk. The room is super clean and has a vintage feel. I loved it.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a restaurant and a bar in the hotel. But I had no interest in using those, as the neighborhood has a ton of other thin gs to do. There are a large number of restaurants very near by. There is a 7-11 and a Walgreens right across the street And a short walk down the hill will take you to the Market Street area for lots of shopping and dining opportunities. Also, there is Cable Car stop about a block away as well, so jump on and head to Fisherman's Wharf for a night on the town.

The Hotel Rex was a great place to spend 10 days while working. The staff, the location, and the hotel itself were great!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BradWorld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

What a great team managing this little hotel! Everyone who served us was friendly and helpful.
It's a welcoming building, near to most of the main attractions and certainly within walking distance, if you like walking up and down the many steep hills.
The room was compact, very well appointed and extremely pleasant to return to after a hard day of sight seeing....especially as you are offered a lovely cold glass of wine between 5-6pm too!
If you are looking for vaue for money in this exciting city, this fits the bill really well and we would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gilly0502011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We spent 4 nights in a King Bedroom at Hotel Rex. The hotel is conveniently located with a lot of great shopping and dining opportunities in walking distance. The hotel offers a complimentary daily wine hour as well as coffee and tea in the morning. We spent part of our honeymoon there and the Vera attentive Hotel staff even arranged a surprise cake as well as champagne and cheese platter for us on our room. That was really great! Most of San Francisco sights are easily reached in walking distance. We rarely had to use a cab and only once needed a bus. We would highly recommend this hotel

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mannheim681
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is my first trip to San Francisco and therefore my first - but not last- say at the Rex, I'm back here is 4 days.This hotel was recommended to me by friends and they were spot on. I arrived here mid morning after a long flight from Australia and the wonderful desk staff let me into my room early, a quiet one at the back and very comfortable, room 404. They also helped me arrange some activities.
I love wine hour at the bar, a free glass of wine, a chat to the barman and a read and relax. It's been a great way to unwind each afternoon.
Good bed, great pillows, clean and with character. I'm looking forward to being back on Thursday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank charlotte b
HotelRexGM, General Manager at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thanks so much for the great review. Please let me know when you return to the Rex and we will make sure you are well taken care of!
-Ina
GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

We randomly chose Hotel Rex through reviews on this site and other travel recommendations. So glad! Close to great shopping, cable cars, restaurants, ... Front desk employees were super friendly and helpful. Loved the artwork, even inside the tiny, vintage-spaced elevator. Stayed on the fourth floor at back of hallway and was never bothered with noise, though you could hear the normal street sounds occasionally. Nice bar/lounge with complimentary wine in evening. Small restaurant with limited offerings on site. We only had breakfast there, but it was tasty. Definitely will recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank caridy
Thank you so much for the positive review. As a small boutique hotel, these reviews really help get the word out.
-Ina'
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Hotel Rex

First time to San Fran and the stay for my family was made extra special as the Hotel Rex was an excellent choice. My wife and I wanted to experience something different with our son and his friend than the usual stay at the larger hotels.
The Hotel Rex was a very intimate setting as it definitely was a step into being in a European hotel, by yet was modern and up to date in today’s technology world. Our room had free WI-FI, was very clean (something that is very important on my list), small refrigerator for a couple of beverages, a clean bathroom, and no coffee pot, but coffee and tea were available every morning in the lobby along with the morning newspapers (a local paper, USA Today and the NY Times).
The elevator is quite small, but that is one of the appealing things about it, it is so different from the mega elevators in larger hotels.

The hotel has a kitchen and you can order food in the library and enjoy a relaxing meal and order something from their bar. The food was delicious as I had the “fish and chips” and my wife had the fish of the day. There is a conference room if companies would like to hold meetings there and it is in a central location in Union square, just a few doors down from “Lori's Diner” and there is also a Starbucks one block down across the street. China town is very near along with North Beach (Little Italy) and that is about a 20 minute walk.
The staff in the Hotel Rex were just as good and helpful as can be. We were originally booked for a room with a King bed and sleeper sofa and when we realized both the boys would not fit on it to sleep, we told the staff about the problem and they without hesitation were able to rectify the problem and we were moved to a room with two double beds.

I don't know what else I can say about the whole experience because it really was as good as can be with a charming and intimate hotel, wonderful staff, good food and really comfortable beds!

If anyone is able, please give this place a try as you will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room towards the back of the hotel, but this will also depend on the category...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bedandbreakfastfan43
Thank you for the GREAT review but honestly, it was OUR pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. It is the energy from great guests like you that make the difference.
-Ina
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

Okay, so we haven't completed our entire stay just yet, but I am confident in saying this hotel has some of the nicest people I have ever met! We got to San Francisco Saturday afternoon, took the Bart, and hauled our luggage 4 blocks up Powell to Sutter and ended up here. They only had one room left and it had no A/C! Before even checking us in, they offered a room at their sister hotel - Galleria Park Hotel - (a few blocks away on the same street) for the night that would have A/C and a king size bed! All at no additional charge since I had already prepaid for our room for the week.

Our stay at Galleria Park Hotel was also pleasant.

We came back to stay here for the remainder of our stay in San Fran since I purchased our stay through Hotwire for a steal. We now are in a pretty spacious hotel room per SF standards, with A/C, and it is super cute! Love the old school library feel. I would totally recommend this hotel and stay again.

Great central location, amazing staff, wine hour from 5-6pm daily and there's a pug! He doesn't come in to work if it's too hot though.... Hahaha!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple