“Great Hotel In San Francisco”

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #54 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Great Hotel In San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is, by far, the best hotel I have stayed in San Francisco. Location is great, rooms are beautiful decorated, ammenities are high quality, and the service was exceptional. KUDOS to Jeff & Gitanjali, they went above and beyond to make us feel special and showed real customer service, They are the best!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Enrique E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

It depends what you want out of a hotel (and life, for that matter). For me, traveling frequently on business, the main things are being able to get the attention of the staff, cleanliness of course, location, and feeling like I am somewhere that has a distinct character. Cool stuff and gadgets mean absolutely nothing to me.

You will not find a friendlier or better staff anywhere. I have been staying in this hotel for 25 years, since it was called the Orchard (which has since moved to another location). In its current incarnation at the Rex, it is staffed with people who are genuinely nice, have a strong desire to please, and know their city and their jobs extremely well. I never have a problem getting my bags, bill and car at 5:00 in the morning, an excellent restaurant recommendation (ask anyone who knows me and I am high maintenance on that score), transportation information, or help with anything else for that matter.
I spend more time in the lobby of the Rex than in any other hotel at which I stay. A free glass of wine in the evening is certainly part of the allure, as is the friendly atmosphere presided over by a most affable bartender. The movies they show in the lobby on Monday nights are classic-----I rarely watch more than 45 minutes but love every one of them. Tuesday night they were playing vinyl records: while I sipped I heard Booker T and the MG's, Dexter Gordon and Mott the Hoople------eclectic? You would not be surprised to meet literate people there from all over the world and, indeed, one evening a few years ago I saw Wallace Shawn holding court there, though I did not intrude.

Location? Walk to Union Square, the financial district, South of Market, grab a cable car to North Beach or Fisherman's Wharf-----I did not need to use my car in the city at all.

Character------OK, that may be a code word for not having the latest USB ports in every corner of the room, though the internet worked quite well, may I assure you . I just feel that I am somewhere very special whenever I stay there, and that means more to me than points, ports, or lighting designed by the latest hipster architect.
Please try it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jim S
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Rex from July 5-9, 2014 with friends and we were very pleased with our stay. The desk staff were very friendly and accommodating and helped arrange transportation for us from our hotel to the airport. Our room and bathroom were clean and the atmosphere was very cozy and quaint. The hotel took care of the original architecture of the building inside and out. We felt very comfortable, safe and did not hear noise from others that stayed there. We had easy access to a variety of transportation, restaurants, shopping and sights. We were invited to have a glass of wine each evening with the other guests and a newspaper was provided each day, as well. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancy D
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel has a great central location that is just off the main street, so it's nice and quiet, but still close enough to transit, shops and restaurants. Hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful--although we did not initially plan on going on a wine tour, the concierge highly recommended one and helped us book it. We stayed in an executive suite, so there was plenty of room and the bathroom was a decent size. The bar offers a complimentary glass of wine offered daily from 5 to 6 pm, which a nice feature to our stay, although we only profited from that on the first night. I highly recommend this hotel for couples looking for a nice stay in San Fran.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Rex for 10 days for a work trip. The staff is super friendly and the hotel offers so much to guests, including the free glass of wine between 5 and 6 every night at the bar ;) It's located super close to Union Square and there are lots of restaurants and stores close by. I definitely recommend staying at the Rex for a pleasant visit.

• Stayed July 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

As has been said, the rooms are a little small, as are the bathrooms. The evening wine was nice, as was the eclectic décor. The location was great, walking distance to many restaurants. Parking, not connected to the hotel, was nearby, but $35-50 a night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sborodolfan
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location for exploring San Fran. The hotel is quirky and much smaller than typical American hotels - it is much more like a European city hotel, which adds to its charm. The free house wine for guests during wine hour was a nice touch if you are around.
The service at the front desk was really hit and miss. The lady who checked us in was fantastic and set the tone for what we thought was going to be the best hotel service we had on our trip. However, not all staff members offered the same level of service, and some were disinterested and rude.
The cleaning staff did the best job of cleaning a room each day that I have ever seen. Everything was spotless and organised perfectly each day.
No shower gel is provided in the bathrooms, only soap.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple