“Great little hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Reading, PA
“Great little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2005

Our first trip to SF, I chose the Hotel Rex based largely upon the reviews on this site, and we were not disappointed. The location, as many other reviewers have mentioned, is excellent. Close enough to Union Square to be easy and convenient, yet enough on the edge of the neighborhood to be quiet and non-bustling.

The artsy, literary motif is pleasant and relaxing, the room cozy and inviting. Jazz CDs in the room were a nice touch, the decor is interesting and attractive, and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've experienced in any hotel. We didn't interact too much with the staff, though they were helpful and friendly whenever we engaged them. The onsite restaurant served a great breakfast, though we didn't eat dinner there based on the limited menu.

No place is perfect... I can easily overlook the tiny elevator, the noisy air conditioner, and the sound of garbage trucks in the street at 7 am, but I do have one complaint.... Note to staff: Please clean up the pile of cigarette butts on the fire escape outside the bathroom window. I'm coming back next year to make sure you've done this!!

2 Thank Harry B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2005

Hi everybody:

I have never taken the time to write a review but Hotel Rex deserves it. I live in Mexico, and anybody who's been there knows Mexico has excellent service so I like to be treated well. I went with my parents so we stayed at one of the two suites the hotel has, it was incredibly large, the beds were wonderful, the pillows were excellent, the service ohhh my God, the concierge was excellent at getting us reservations for dinner every night on short notice like for the Zuni Cafe and the really nice places. Breakfast at Cafe Andree is delicious, well any time you eat there is great, turn down service every night, complementary wine every night, really attentive staff. I can't even begin to tell you how we enjoyed our stay there, the decoration is ecclectic and somewhat odd but it's fun. The hotel is conveniently located a block away from Union Square, in the middle of the theatre district, close to everything.

My parents and I reccomend it to everybody!! Hotel Rex is a sure bet for a great stay in San Francisco!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2005

This was the cutest hotel! My husband and I stayed there for a weekend get away for our anniversary. I loved the literary theme, and the decor was nice. The rooms are a little small, but this is common in SF. They were very clean and I loved the two jazz cd's they provided in the room. The restaurant is magnificent -- I highly recommend the portobello mushroom eggs benedict thing.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
seattle, wa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2005

Finding a hotel in SF is tough. I saw the good reviews here and gave it a try. The price was ok, but bear in mind the parking fee is $40/night. As this is typical in SF, I didn't get too upset about this. I later found that they parked my car on some street (covered in dew, flower petals), so someone got a pretty good deal on that! The room was small, but clean, looked like it had recently been remodeled. The location is the key selling point. About 3 blocks from Union Square, 3 blocks from Chinatown gate, and a pretty safe nighttime walk in either direction. We were on the 2nd floor, and I must admit there was considerable street noise (glass bottle recycling seemed to occur both mornings of our stay), but hey, what do you expect in a downtown hotel? We didn't spend much time in the hotel other than sleeping, but the staff seemed nice, the restaurant looked good.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank tinadam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2005

We stayed at the Hotel Rex for a weekend getaway and were very impressed. The staff was outstanding, assisting us with all our requests. The Rex Hotel is located central to everything you would want to see either by foot or on San Francisco's famous trolleys. The only reason I would not give this Hotel top billing is the rooms are slightly smaller than other more modern hotels but the price is a whole lot smaller so well worth the minor comprimise. The Rex is styled in a 1920s literary lounge and it fulfills that ambiance exquisitely with a quiet lounge/bar area hosting a nightly wine tasting. The Rex Hotel was a big part of making our short trip one of the best weekend excursions my wife and I have taken, and we've been on quite a few. I would highly recommend this hotel to couples looking to have a wonderful getaway with nice ambiance and a great location to do anything in town. As you have probably heard in other reviews, leave the car at home if possible and don't bother renting. Parking is expensive and public transportation or cabs are a better deal.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2005

The Rex Hotel was excellent. We usually stay at another boutique or the hyatt, but when I called the hotel direct, the gentleman gave me a great rate, an excellent and quiet room, and wonderful service. When we arrived we were welcomed with smiles and wine for our anniversary. We loved everything about this place.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2005

We have just spent a night at Hotel Rex for our 2 year anniversary and it was the best anniversary we have ever had. The hotel is magnificent and there service was out of this world. We had such a lovely evening that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the hotel. Our room was so beautifully and the attention to detail was incredible that it felt as if you entered another world. As they new it was our anniversary the room had a little packages filled with chocolates and Champaign that was great.

The hotel made reservation for us in there restaurant Café Andre. The restaurant features Franco-Latino cuisine and the experience was undesirable. The food is some of the best I have ever had and the quality and taste was incredible. The restaurant is not that big so the intimacy of the evening was an experience that will always stay with me.

I would definitely recommend The Hotel Rex to anyone that was to see what the other side of live it likes. The hotel has such a warm ambiance and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Thank you for a great evening.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member