“Warm, cozy, friendly, aesthetically delightful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #56 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Northern California
“Warm, cozy, friendly, aesthetically delightful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Rex on Sutter Street for a full week, and its comforts made it feel almost like home. The room was smart and well designed with colorful artwork and hand-painted lamp shades, the large "living room" behind the lobby was cozy with abundant comfortable furniture, walls of books and attractive lighting, the wine hour each afternoon and coffee offering in the mornings were pleasant, and the hotel is so well located, one can step out the door and find just about everything within a half a block! The manager, Bradley, is warm and welcoming, as are the accommodating and friendly, helpful staff, every one of them from front desk personnel to staff in the dining room (excellent breakfasts!), the women on the cleaning staff, and the bartenders, AND the sweet dog. They bend over backwards to make guests feel at home. Bradley is creating upcoming events at The Rex that will attract young and older people alike, will be low cost, and bring continued cheery entertainment to the neighborhood! I loved it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

Our stay at the Hotel Rex was wonderful. The staff was great and very helpful. The room was beautiful, clean and ready for us. The atmosphere in the hotel was cozy and quiet, but very elegant. We were close enough to Union Square that we could walk, but not so close as to get all the noise. The decor was very warm with deep, rich colors. I was reminded of hotels I had stayed in when I was in Paris. I was very pleased with this hotel and its location, staff and amenities. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Napa, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

I needed a quick weekend get away, and found great small town service in the big city. When I read of the prime Union Square location i was reminded of huge, unpersonal Westin type hotel. However when I arrived at Rex I was greated/treated as if I were the only guest at the hotel. The manager even shared a glass of wine with my girlfriend and I. The hotel itself has awesome character and has a very authentic San Francisco feel. When we got to our room we were pleasently surprised to find a remodeled room to rival any brand new hotel. In the morning we thoroughly enjoyed breakfast in the cafe, i recomend the salmon benedict. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
napa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

Stayed Monday and Tuesday nights with two business associates - they said they felt like they were at home. Excellent service, wine reception and very nice rooms. The location is perfect - a little quieter than right on Union Square - but only one block away. I've stayed at most of the larger hotels on Union Square and much prefer this one.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2010

I chose the Hotel Rex because Tripadvisor rated it #1 in San Francisco, it has a great location and the price was quite reasonable. We checked in around 8 p.m.. The room had not been heated. It was FREEZING cold. We turned up the thermostat but at midnight it was still freezing. I slept in long underwear, nightgown, bathrobe and extra covers. By morning it had warmed up at last. The bathroom was dirty. The carpet was globbed with dirt and ???? We must have been next to a bar as the music thumped on until 3 a.m. One night a couple in the next room swore and screamed all night. When I mentioned it to the desk, they said noone was in the room. Strange, cold noisy hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BeebzAbroad
BHansen, Director Of Operations at Hotel Rex, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 18 January 2010
Dear Three Sleepless Nights in San Francisco,

I would like to formally apologize for the experience that you had at our hotel. We strive to provide the most comfortable and cleanest of accommodations. As you can see from the majority of the comments here, we usually hit the mark, I’m embarrassed to see that those standards where not meet for you. I understand your frustrations and appreciate your feedback, it will be shared with the staff to ensure that this does not occur again. I regret that I was not able to personally discuss these issues with you prior to your departure, and do hope you will contact me directly with anymore feedback you can share. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bradley Hansen

Good happy hour

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Tenby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

We stayed in the Rex for 4 nights on a trip round California. The rooms are very small as stated in other reviews and i'd pay extra for a bigger room if you're able. We weren't in our room much so it wasn't a problem for us. The staff were lovely and Maximo the resident canine was very friendly. The nightly free wine was a lovely touch. We ate breakfast at Lori's diner at the end of the block and dinners all around the place including a very good thai on Post street. The hotel has a lot of character and is in a great position just round the corner from union square.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple