“don't hesitate!”
Review of Adelaide Hostel

Adelaide Hostel
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Amazing! My first time travelling, on my own as an eighteen year old girl. Although not in the nicest part of town, once you know which roads not to turn down it is the best place ever! Easy to get to anywhere as is very close to all public transport, we had no trouble wherever we wanted to go. I spent the best two weeks of my life here and met the most amazing people who will be friends forever. People who had stayed in the Adelaide then had to re-book into other hostels (due to their own dis-organisation) came back for breakfast and dinner and just to hang out here. The best place to stay in San Francisco with free wine almost every night from games organiser Coal (sorry if I spelt that wrong) and helpful friendly people and atmosphere!

Room Tip: no choice in what floor to stay on, but I stayed on the second, third and the top (fourth I think...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I really enjoyed my stay! It was neat meeting people. I loved the bathrooms -- they are individual rooms with showers or toilets or both, and there are several on each floor. I used the airport shuttle they recommended and it was really simple. Front desk people were nice and helpful. They have internet available to check email or skype. The hostel is also centrally located -- just a few blocks from Union Square. And it's cheap! Thanks :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Great place to stay in San Francisco, good breakfast, some very thoughtful dinner with Chef Gilberto, the food reminded me of my house, besides being a very cheerful and friendly, a great food for only $ 6, and besides cooking and always attentive to customers, parabens Adelaide.

Room Tip: The rooms are good for sleeping
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chad262
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Nicely located hostel, with a cozy living room area populated by travelers in the evening or with unpleasant weather outdoors (the latter isn't the thing to worry in sunny California, though;). Probably best breakfast ever in a hostel (included in the price?!), with raisin bagels, varying fruit and freshly cooked oatmeal stew. Rooms are ok with the usual hostel bunk beds. Free Internet and several desktop computers. Not to forget great service: The staff was so nice as to look after my lost pair of gloves, and once found, also sent it all the way to Europe - appreciated, guys!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2011

First you should know something about me. I am well-traveled and I have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. If I wanted to stay at a five star hotel I could have. But when I was in college I never experienced a youth hostel so I checked out the reviews, inundated and no doubt annoyed the staff prior to my arrival, but they were awesome. I had my days planned in advance so my three day stay was really leaving before my 3 roommates awoke and was asleep while they were no doubt on a pub crawl.

Honestly for a 42 year old this was one of the coolest things I have done in a long time. It was nice to come home to people and not clerks. Josh at the front desk knew I was fish out of water and he made sure I had a great stay - and I did.

But be realistic folks: this is $30 a night, not $450, and for $30 you can't even take a bus tour of SFO. Take advantage of the 800 pm meals - cheap, great food, and talk to people - that's why you are in a hostel on the first place. The whole building has wifi so after dinner I swear everyone had an apple and they were checking email, Skype, movies - whatever.

The location is awesome - I walked everywhere and the shuttle to SFO is $10. I am sure the kids half my age were wondering what I was doing there but it was definitely a bucket list check mark. Sure I would do it again but I'd try to get one of the few private rooms so I was not paranoid about some psycho stealing my stuff - it was total paranoia because everyone I met was so cool and nice.

Again, remember college? Bathroom down the hall? Bring your own towel (do this!) and bunk beds? That's a hostel. A b&b and a hotel are NOT the same thing. For $30 this was a steal - a great time. Next time maybe a b&b but I just hate those stuffy hotels. And if I have a free day I might pop by just to chill in the huge main room filled with like 8 sofas, use the wifi, check in with Josh. Come on guys - you only live once and I'd say a hostel is between camping and a b&b. I'm probably more b&b but at least I know what a hostel is. Special kudos to Josh for nearly hailing down my shuttle so I could make my flight, mary for the clean sheets and cool comvo, the greatt cooks, and my fellow hostelers who hailed from throughout the US and Australia. I am the lucky one for this great time!

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank FrugalButFirstClass
Reviewed 9 October 2011

we made a reservation at the adelaide, were put in another of their properties, just around the corner. the hotel is a bit old and "creaky" - the elevator is tiny and quite old - kind of fun actually, but it does take two hands to operate the doors...
Good parts:
location was central to town and transportation. the staff is friendly and helpful. the included breakfast is adequate- bread and butter, jam, peanut butter, fruit, and oatmeal. free wifi in the room. very quite - no street noise.
Not so good:
the biggest problem was the room itself - very small (we went for the least expensive room) but functional, but the window went out to an airshaft and there was almost no air exchange - the shower made the room very humid, and it stayed humid til the next shower...
rather depressing to open the door and be greeted with warm, damp air!
would i stay again? probably not - it was inexpensive, but for a bit more i would upgrade.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The location is fantastic however the street noise is loud. I would suggest taking ear plug if you are planning on staying here.
The hostel is easily accessible to all city tourist spots and public transport is available.
The hostel offers continental breakfast for free and it is very good.
Coffee was hot and many types of bread are available for toasting good tip before venturing out on you daily tours etc.
Many well priced restaurants avaliable including the Thai restaurant across the road (Pad thai was lovely).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends