Adelaide Hostel
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I stayed in one of the 4 bed dormitory rooms for 1 week in November. It was a great way to stay in San Francisco on a budget. The staff go out of their way to make you feel included through organized games/quiz nights, free wine and cheese and group nights out in the city. Will and Cole who work there are brilliant and made my stay so much more fun! It was a good way to meet like minded travelers and I will definitely stay there again when I revisit San Francisco. Breakfast is really good, the lounge is perfect for chilling out in and the hostel is really clean, well maintained and is in a prime location. I can't say anything negative about my experience there. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the front alley are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I booked a private room at the adelaide hostel despite the hight price of nearly 100USD/night after reading all the wonderful reviews here. Because I was traveling alone and for the first time to SFO I thought I was better to paid the money and stay somewhere safe. At check inn at Adelaide I was sent to Dakota hotel, just around the corner. I don't think there are private rooms at the hostel. The Dakota is a very old and very smelly hotel. My room had a very uncomfortable bunkbed, a TV with no reception (Which made no difference to me cause I didn't stay inn much) and a dirty carpet floor. The windows lead to a fire exit stair that connects all floors and didn't lock properly. Humm... The only good things I found was the shower with good hot water pressure and the location. I knew I wasn't booking a 5 star hotel and my expectations weren't even high, I just wanted a clean and safe place to sleep and leave my things. The Dakota didn't deliver any of the two. I have to say that the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was nice, but I would definitely not stay again, way too overpriced.

Room Tip: I did have a look at the Fitzgerald hotel next door that I believe also belongs to Adelaide and It l...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank xiribita
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I stayed in a private for 2 nights while traveling in San Francisco. It was in a good location, we took the BART straight from SFO, and walked about 10 mins to the hostel. We were also able to take a bus or walk to all other destinations in the City that we wanted to see.

The staff was friendly, there was plenty of lounge space for those checking in or relaxing before or after a busy day. The breakfast was good and there was plenty of space to eat next to the kitchen.

Lots of young travelers and foreigners, always a great way to meet people and gain some additional cultural experiences. It had a true 'European Hostel' feel and provided a great value considering the price, accomodation, and location.

If you want to stay in a hostel, that is clean, cozy, friendly, and a good value, I highly suggest the Adelaide.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Amazing! My first time travelling, on my own as an eighteen year old girl. Although not in the nicest part of town, once you know which roads not to turn down it is the best place ever! Easy to get to anywhere as is very close to all public transport, we had no trouble wherever we wanted to go. I spent the best two weeks of my life here and met the most amazing people who will be friends forever. People who had stayed in the Adelaide then had to re-book into other hostels (due to their own dis-organisation) came back for breakfast and dinner and just to hang out here. The best place to stay in San Francisco with free wine almost every night from games organiser Coal (sorry if I spelt that wrong) and helpful friendly people and atmosphere!

Room Tip: no choice in what floor to stay on, but I stayed on the second, third and the top (fourth I think...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I really enjoyed my stay! It was neat meeting people. I loved the bathrooms -- they are individual rooms with showers or toilets or both, and there are several on each floor. I used the airport shuttle they recommended and it was really simple. Front desk people were nice and helpful. They have internet available to check email or skype. The hostel is also centrally located -- just a few blocks from Union Square. And it's cheap! Thanks :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Great place to stay in San Francisco, good breakfast, some very thoughtful dinner with Chef Gilberto, the food reminded me of my house, besides being a very cheerful and friendly, a great food for only $ 6, and besides cooking and always attentive to customers, parabens Adelaide.

Room Tip: The rooms are good for sleeping
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chad262
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Nicely located hostel, with a cozy living room area populated by travelers in the evening or with unpleasant weather outdoors (the latter isn't the thing to worry in sunny California, though;). Probably best breakfast ever in a hostel (included in the price?!), with raisin bagels, varying fruit and freshly cooked oatmeal stew. Rooms are ok with the usual hostel bunk beds. Free Internet and several desktop computers. Not to forget great service: The staff was so nice as to look after my lost pair of gloves, and once found, also sent it all the way to Europe - appreciated, guys!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo