“Awesomeness”

Adelaide Hostel
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Awesomeness”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Where do I start :) Of all the hostels I've stayed at all over the world, this one made me feel so at home. Starting from the friendly staff and one of the most convenient locations I was able to really enjoy San Francisco. The hostel is also so clean (which you know is hard to find) ;) They serve a great breakfast, so u can save your breakfast bucks for something else. Beds are comfortable and bug free :) I recommend to all. I will definitely be staying there again on my next trip. Hope you all have the same experience :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sarah S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
oaktown United States
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was relocating to to SF, moving my family out here. I got a job in the city, stayed at the Adelaide and it was cheap and amazing. I have to tell everyone I can, I need to preach, it was the best experience a person of my station in life could have. I write this review from my new apartment in Oakland , my daughter and wife sound asleep, I am so excited to be here with them,but I miss the Adelaide.
The sleeping accommodation . One point of difference ( that I image will, and should become common in hostels) is the beds. The majority of bunks are a single cubby hole built into the wall that has two curtains, a shelf, a lamp, and a outlet for your electronics. Super private in a very communal way. There was a sink with running water and mirror in the room as well . I spent my first night watching tv on my kindle and listening to music and I immediately felt like i had my own space.
The hostel is clean and beautiful.
THE KITCHEN- was well equip with a giant refrigerator to store your food as well as lots of pots pans , ovens, and space to meet people. People making community meals, meeting each other, great conversations. I awoke everyday to a full kitchen full of great employees ready to serve you, Brandon, Camellia are the first two that come to mind. An art student from France ( the sweetest person you could ever meet) and a beautiful person from Kansas ( unbelievably sweeter than the last ).
I cant say enough about the people that work here, they are amazing.
THE COMMON AREAS - There are many couches and computers all in large communal areas. Its quiet with a little music in the background. The couches are very comfortable . There is a tv in the kitchen that you can watch what you want after 10. There is a laundry facility on premise: four dollars for a full load, wash and dry.
THE LOCATION _ perfectly in the middle of everything. Nice restaurants and bars all around. The city is small and all is a subway ride away, The times I grabbed a cab it cost 9 to 12 dollars to get anywhere. The hostel is located in an ally as as result it is quiet and is its own quiet world.
THE STAFF- The hostel is maintained and part owned by P.J., a second generation bed and breakfast man from Ireland. P.J. is an incredible manager and operator ( and personally as someone who is in the business themselves ) he performs his job in a way that is incredibly impressive and inspiring. The desk staff are a great representation of his hospitality. Nadia or Rico will take care of you , making sure all of your questions are answered as well as answering the phone, checking in luggage, and managing the ever changing flow of traffic. If you get a chance to meet employees like bobby and will, congratulations my friend, you met the fabric from which the city of San Fransisco has been sown.
I leave here with friends and memories that will last all of this lifetime. Thanks Adelaide.

Room Tip: smaller the better
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sgibney
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were in a group of 13 and the hostel made us feel so welcome storing our bags before we checked in so we could explore the city and then ensuring we were all put in the same dorms even though we thought we were all going to be split up. We even got a free dinner which catered for the veggies too so thumbs up for that. Overall lovely staff and a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a large group and booking separately give yourself a group name and they wi...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you very much! We’re glad you had a great time and enjoyed the vegetarian dinner! We always strive to make everyone feel welcome- hope to see you again the next time you’re in San Francisco!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We reserved a room at the Adelaide hostel and were welcomed quiet nice, by a lovely helpful girl. The manager and the staff were awesome - thank you guys for hosting us. We would love to come back one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 605 of the Dakota house.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 November 2013

You have to stay here if you're visiting San Francisco. It's in the perfect location first of all. The place was super clean and I felt very comfortable. It has all the amenities of home. The staff was incredibly helpful and welcoming and at the end of my stay I felt like they were my friends. They seemed to know all about the city and were able to answer any question I had and point me in the right direction to having an awesome experience. They also have free breakfast!! Fruit, oatmeal, assorted bagels with cream cheese, toast and jam, orange juice, and coffee of course. Being on a tight budget, this meal allowed me to spend my money on having even more fun in the city. I just had so much fun there, I can't even say.
I can't wait to revisit San Francisco just so I can stay here again. Thank you to the Adelaide, and the owner who was very hands on and seems like he takes it personally that all of his guests have a wonderful experience at his hostel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Heather S
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you, Heather! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay. We do try to offer a full free breakfast so that our guests can have some extra funds for exploring this great city! :) And you are right that the owner does try to make sure everyone has a wonderful experience- he never stops working! We're always making sure to make refurbishments and updates, so definitely do come see us again next time you're in San Francisco to see what's new! Cheers!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We booked 2 beds in the hostel. When we arrived we were told we had been moved to the crummy hotel round the corner. When we got to the hotel we were on the 8th floor (the lift always breaks). Also, we were told we had been put in a queen bed... we are 2 guys. The bed was so small we couldn't even lay shoulder to shoulder. After an hour of complaining (we had paid for 2 beds!) they agreed we could have one of the singles also in the room (there was about 30cm between the beds). To make it worse they made us feel guilty about requesting the number of beds we had paid for (one of the staff was going to sell their bed for the night).

When we returned from the late running hostel organized bar crawl, there was a couple in the single bed. (As it happened they were also charged for 2 beds - disgraceful).

I climbed over the drunk people hanging out with the hotel staff in the lobby and complained again. Eventually I was given a bed in the staff area. The staff area was filthy.

We were woken at 5AM by loud speakers in the street outside (not really their fault).

The next morning I asked to cancel our second nights stay. The original answer was no! I had to threaten to cancel the entire credit card payment (for both nights) before they agreed to let us check out early.

Avoid like the plague. They are clearly driven by greed.

p.s. We also stayed in USA Hostels (round the corner) which was fantastic.

Room Tip: Insist you are in the main hostel. A better idea is to go to USA Hostels round the corner.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was a really great hostel, the staff were really friendly and helpful and the breakfast was amazing. The dorm I stayed in was a little small but overall it was a very nice quality hostel. You could tell the owners obviously care about their guests having a great experience not just filling the place up and making money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo