“My favorit hostel”
Review of Adelaide Hostel

Adelaide Hostel
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I visit this place last month and I really loved it!!! It is a beautiful place, very clean, nice rooms and lovely staff! Many thanks to Patrick, the owner. A really intelligent and warm person. He's doing everything for all the guests and made me feel at home from the beginning. I spend time with lots of different people, lots of different cultures, what I highly enjoyed. Thanks to everybody, specially Patrick. Maria Annuziata Porlisi, Stefania's mother.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Elizabeth O, Public Relations Manager at Adelaide Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you, Maria! We’re glad you had a positive experience- Patrick (along with the rest of the staff) certainly does work hard around the clock to make sure that the Adelaide is a “home away from home” for guests! We hope to see you again the next time you are in San Francisco!

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this place in late November 2013.
It was pretty easy to get here (BART train from airport followed by short walk from Powell station). When here, we were told that we would be in their sister hotel next door called hotel Fitzgerald.
It was a clean and comfortable place, basic amenities like tea and coffee (good coffee!) were available in the room. They also had excellent free wifi as well as free breakfast every morning which was a huge bonus at the hostel rates. Reception staff were helpful, a number of travel brochures were available at the desk, and you could use further kitchen/hostel facilities at the Adelaide hostel.
Very close to union square and there were a number of cafes and restaurants at walking distance. We were told the bar downstairs called barrel room had great wine but unfortunately we didn't get around to trying it!
Overall, this place is very good value for money and we would definitely recommend it to anybody travelling on a budget.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you! We’re glad you found the Fitzgerald clean and comfortable- hopefully you’ll come see us again, and try out the wine at the Barrel Room!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

the room was not clean at all very small for six bad and smells , the front disk not friendly at all and the breakfast is pof they were running renovation in the next room so horrible noise and the rooms looks nothing like the picture. the only good thing is the location but again you can find a much better hostel with the same price right in the corner
honest advice go somewhere else

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Spent 8 nights at the hostel. Location is very central, although it's a bit of an uphill climb from the BART station. There are other options to get here of course.
A friend had the bad luck of sharing a room with someone who urinated on the floor. I was told the only thing the staff did was fabreeze the carpet. The general cleanliness of the hostel was good, however.
The rooms have a sink, in addition to the shared showers/restrooms outside of the rooms. There are a couple of free dinners throughout the week. They got board and card games, and a really comfy common area.
My advice would be to either go out and stay late Sat/Sun night or check in another day, because those two nights the city is LOUD.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review! We’re glad you enjoyed most aspects of the stay with us, and as for the issue with the carpet- it’s likely that Febreeze was just being used to hold things over until our professional cleaning staff could come in and take care of it (they only work certain hours). And San Francisco is loud, but with our tucked away location down an alley, strict quiet hours, and wooden bunks with curtains, we try to provide the quietest atmosphere possible to get a good night’s sleep!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Where do I start :) Of all the hostels I've stayed at all over the world, this one made me feel so at home. Starting from the friendly staff and one of the most convenient locations I was able to really enjoy San Francisco. The hostel is also so clean (which you know is hard to find) ;) They serve a great breakfast, so u can save your breakfast bucks for something else. Beds are comfortable and bug free :) I recommend to all. I will definitely be staying there again on my next trip. Hope you all have the same experience :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was relocating to to SF, moving my family out here. I got a job in the city, stayed at the Adelaide and it was cheap and amazing. I have to tell everyone I can, I need to preach, it was the best experience a person of my station in life could have. I write this review from my new apartment in Oakland , my daughter and wife sound asleep, I am so excited to be here with them,but I miss the Adelaide.
The sleeping accommodation . One point of difference ( that I image will, and should become common in hostels) is the beds. The majority of bunks are a single cubby hole built into the wall that has two curtains, a shelf, a lamp, and a outlet for your electronics. Super private in a very communal way. There was a sink with running water and mirror in the room as well . I spent my first night watching tv on my kindle and listening to music and I immediately felt like i had my own space.
The hostel is clean and beautiful.
THE KITCHEN- was well equip with a giant refrigerator to store your food as well as lots of pots pans , ovens, and space to meet people. People making community meals, meeting each other, great conversations. I awoke everyday to a full kitchen full of great employees ready to serve you, Brandon, Camellia are the first two that come to mind. An art student from France ( the sweetest person you could ever meet) and a beautiful person from Kansas ( unbelievably sweeter than the last ).
I cant say enough about the people that work here, they are amazing.
THE COMMON AREAS - There are many couches and computers all in large communal areas. Its quiet with a little music in the background. The couches are very comfortable . There is a tv in the kitchen that you can watch what you want after 10. There is a laundry facility on premise: four dollars for a full load, wash and dry.
THE LOCATION _ perfectly in the middle of everything. Nice restaurants and bars all around. The city is small and all is a subway ride away, The times I grabbed a cab it cost 9 to 12 dollars to get anywhere. The hostel is located in an ally as as result it is quiet and is its own quiet world.
THE STAFF- The hostel is maintained and part owned by P.J., a second generation bed and breakfast man from Ireland. P.J. is an incredible manager and operator ( and personally as someone who is in the business themselves ) he performs his job in a way that is incredibly impressive and inspiring. The desk staff are a great representation of his hospitality. Nadia or Rico will take care of you , making sure all of your questions are answered as well as answering the phone, checking in luggage, and managing the ever changing flow of traffic. If you get a chance to meet employees like bobby and will, congratulations my friend, you met the fabric from which the city of San Fransisco has been sown.
I leave here with friends and memories that will last all of this lifetime. Thanks Adelaide.

Room Tip: smaller the better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sgibney
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were in a group of 13 and the hostel made us feel so welcome storing our bags before we checked in so we could explore the city and then ensuring we were all put in the same dorms even though we thought we were all going to be split up. We even got a free dinner which catered for the veggies too so thumbs up for that. Overall lovely staff and a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a large group and booking separately give yourself a group name and they wi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much! We’re glad you had a great time and enjoyed the vegetarian dinner! We always strive to make everyone feel welcome- hope to see you again the next time you’re in San Francisco!