“Fantastic place!”

Adelaide Hostel
ricohampton
“Fantastic place!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a four nights in July. I must say this is hands down the best hostel I've visited in all my travels.

The staff was super helpful and sweet. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The beds were comfortable and private (there are curtains on each bunk!).

It looks like the hostel has revamped the space. it looks really cool inside. With a lounge to hang out in and computers to use for free!

just awesome!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ricohampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at the Adelaide Hostel during the last week of May 2014. It was a mere 3 blocks from the Hilton where my conference was being held. I reserved a bed in a 6-person room. My original room was overrun by very messy women who took all of the footlockers. I complained and the staff quickly assigned me to a bed in another room. I checked for bedbugs and found none. I really liked how each bed has it's own curtain for privacy and there is a small light and outlet above each bed. The room had a single sink and mirror. There were at least two showers with toilets, and a separate toilet on the floor. I never had to wait to use the bathroom or shower. The lobby decor was nicely done -- part bohemian, part safehouse (if you've ever lived in Milwaukee, you'll understand). There were regular pub crawls which many attended. I stayed for 4 nights and the bill was under $200. For that area, you just can't beat it.

Room Tip: Oh, the top bunks are high up and you climb up via a bunk ladder. I had a top bunk at first and whi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kris C
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Don't stay here! I stayed ONE night in golden gate and ended up with over 50 bed bug bites over my entire body, neck, chest, shoulders, ear, hands, thighs, calves, feet. Everywhere!

I was just getting into my bed when I saw a bug on the wall dividing the bunks. Turned out to be a bedbug so I started inspecting blankets then pillow. It was midnight but I flipped out and asked to be moved to a new room, as I was supposed to be there two more nights. I was shaking, there were two huge ones just laying under my pillow with a freshly laid egg and filled with my blood from the night before.

In order to move rooms I had to shower and wash all of my clothes. I had to go out after midnight to buy a new outfit. Only thing open was a Walgreens so I had to pay $25 for a mens beer pajama outfit. Then to wash all of my clothes was $8. I didn't get to bed till 3 am!

I had to throw out my purse because there were baby bedbugs in it. And buy anti itching cream because it was unbearable.

No reimbursement and I was constantly inspecting my things, and could hardly sleep the rest of my time there.

Don't stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank Lori A
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here with my friend in the summer of 2012, this was the first leg of our travels, having flown in from Scotland.

The rooms are pretty basic, but what do you really expect from a hostel? I personally think it is just your luck who you are paired with in the rooms, for us, we had a really friendly German dude and an extremely weird Canadian guy who was out all night and slept all day, he was a bit of a pain, but that aside, the room experience was decent enough.

I never used the kitchen area so I cannot comment on this, nor did I eat the breakfast.

The hostels location is absolutely ideal for exploring this fantastic city, I dream on day I will be back.

We also went on one of the bar crawls, which was very good, great opportunity to mix with other travellers, share stories and experiences etc

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jonophonics
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wanted to check out a day early from a private room and the front office staff refused a refund despite requesting 24 hours in advance. Asked 3 different front office receptionists to be told that it would be possible initially. When check-out time came , I was told the manager had been spoken to and that I should have given notice 48 hours in advance. Really lame!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank vinnaray
Yomitan-son, Japan
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

First time a stayed in a hostel. I'm traveling through and decided to stay in SF for 3 days to check the place out. Basically just needed a place to sleep, shower, and charge my phone.
I found the room I stayed in the first night to be absolutely disgusting bit that was the fault of the occupants, not the staff. Toilets and showers were very clean. The downstairs living room was a really cool area. I never used the kitchen so I can really comment on that. As for the staff, I only really dealt with one girl, I think her name was Julie maybe, she was awesome. She help me out any time I needed anything. 2 thumbs up for that hire!
All in all not a bad experience at all. Like I said though, it really worked for what I needed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Wyatt L
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I'd highly recommend this hostel to any international students or young travelers. Although the rooms are not the best (they only have the very basics), the place itself is very clean, with thoughtful decoration and a great atmosphere. The common rooms feel like very big but cozy living rooms, and the kitchen area has all you could need. The breakfast is also very complete.

Some negative things to take into account: they could benefit from having more bathrooms; the beds are a bit old and noisy; and it may be a bit noisy during the night, but nothing too bad.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends