“Mixed feelings”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I really wanted to like the Clift because it is a cool botique hotel but a few things prevented me from truly enjoying the experience. Let me first say that I was only there for 1 night, so I may not have the most well-rounded review.

The room: we were put on the 2nd floor in a smaller room. Didn't want to spend the extra money for 1 night, although the bill turned out to be $250. The bathroom was very cramped and the shower felt old and stale. The bed was great, but that's all you really got in such a small room. I was there on a saturday, so it may have been more busy than usual but if you are put on a lower floor and it happens to be the weekend, expect to hear the thumping bass from the redwood room downstairs. Its loud.

Location is great, no arguing that.

Security was tight, which was odd to me because I felt like I had to show my room key at every turn. I understand that the place wants to be exclusive, but making your guests feel excluded is not the type of place I want to stay at. It felt more like a club...which brings me to my next topic...

I missed out on the redwood room that night bc I was out with friends but it looked more like a packed, loud club than a place to sit and enjoy a drink. I tried to get in the next day around 5-6pm and the security guard said it was closed due to a private party.

We left our luggage their the next day, and when we came back to pick it up we asked what the best way to get to the airport is. I guess they have a private car service which we were told would be $35 bucks. Ended up to be $55, so felt kind of cheated.

Overall, the hotel's vibe is cool, the lobby's theme is fun, but I had mixed feelings when I left.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Scotland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We booked this hotel via Expedia on a deal and stayed 4 nights in a Junior Loft Suite costing an average of £157 per night including taxes. The room was large (525 square feet), well appointed in a minimalist style with soft pastel colours and plenty of natural light. The bathroom was, however, disproportionately small compared to the rest of the room and disappointed. We had a room on the 12th floor (having requested a high floor at booking) and would recommend anyone do the same as there can be considerable noise from the street level.
The public areas of the hotel are deliberately lit low and create a pleasant ambience with an eclectic mix of furniture that grabs guests attention. The Redwood Room is well worth a drink; the panelling, the layout and the atmosphere make for an enjoyable experience although expect to pay $15+ for a glass of "average" quality wine and $10 for a beer.
The front desk staff were polite, helpful and seemed genuine in their willingness to make one's stay stress free.
Overall, a very enjoyable stay and reasonable value when compared to peer group hotels such as The Monaco, The Palace and The Westin St. Francis - all of which we have stayed at previously. Would we go back? If we could secure a similar deal to the one secured for this trip then, yes, absolutely as The Clift has the feel of a stylish and exclusive boutique hotel and is very well appointed for all that San Francisco has to offer.

2 Thank MLS12
Clift-SF-AFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear MLS12,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review on TA. I am glad that you found Clift stylish and comfortable. I am also glad that you liked the atmosphere of the common areas. Your feedback about the staff is much appreciated as we strive to make everyone’s stay memorable! We really hope to see you again in the future!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Extremely disappointed with the staff. A rip-off.
Expensif for nothing much than a nice bed and breakfast where you get a better service.

Room Tip: Will never never never go again. Staff is not well recruited.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LL_Bklyn
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I were on a touring holiday of the west coast and decided to make our first ever stay in San Francisco the longest at 4 nights. Our arrival at The Clift early evening was a bit fraught as we had been trying to find somewhere to park to dump our cases before returning hire car to rental company but we were greeted by friendly and very helpful staff so were off to a good start.
My husband and my thoughts differ on the Clift - he loved all about it, comfy room, atmosphere etc, although we did agree on how dark all the interior is apart from our lovely light room and we both found the bar to be too noisy for us, not comfortable to eat and sit in at the end of a busy day. Very trendy for the locals no doubt. Also for me the rooms lacked storage - no drawers at all in the main bedroom, just a cupboard opposite the bathroom with one shelf, hanging and 2 odd perspex boxes - were they meant to be drawers? So after all the living out of suitcases my thoughts of unpacking properly for 4 days went out the window! why give cubes for bedside tables with no storage for goodness sake in a hotel? I know it all looked very trendy, with great mirrors and the bed was extremely comfortable but not the most practical hotel room room for me.
We were on the 6th floor overlooking a side street and we had no problem with outside or inside noise, so that too was good.
All in all a positive review as the staff, location and comfort in the room was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Clift-SF-AFOM, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Stephanie K,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review on TA. I am very pleased that there were certain aspects of the hotel that you were fond of. I apologize for the lack of storage space in your room. The most rewarding part of your review is to see that you found the staff to be excellent! It is also great that you liked the location and found your room to be comfortable. I hope that you do keep us in mind the next time you are in SF, as we would love to see you again! Thank you again for you feedback and take care!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 June 2012

From the outside it looks like any other building but the minute you get inside you understand that the Clift is nothing like your typical "Type A" hotel. Brilliant architecture and five star bellmen with a breezy aura of cool around them. Rooms are not overtly big but the bed is great, the bathroom nice and I loved the twin mirrors that turned the room into an "infinite loop". Bonus points for the great amenities - among the best stuff I´ve had ever actually.

As many others have mentioned - the location is top notch. You´re within walking distance from everything in downtown San Francisco.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear FarewellFire,

Thank you for choosing Clift and taking a moment to share your experience with everyone on TA. I am so happy that you liked the style and décor of the hotel and enjoyed your time spent with us. Our beds rival any other hotel and our bathroom amenities are second to none. Our location is ideal for any out of towner, as we are located in the heart of San Francisco. We look forward to seeing you again, so hurry back!

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I arrived at the Clift on a Friday evening around 6pm, after a long day of wine tasting. Valet informed us that parking was $57 per night, which was much higher than I expected (if we hadn’t been so tired we would have drove around and found cheaper parking). Check-in was smooth, the lobby is funky. We were given a standard corner room on the 6th floor that over looked other buildings, so no great view for us. But the room was surprisingly large, and the linens are wonderful. Our room had lots of mirrors, which gave it a larger feel, but had absolutely no artwork, which was strange.
This was not my first time staying at a Morgan's property - I had stayed at the Hudson in Manhattan, so I expected a modern, fun hotel - and that is what the Clift is. The nightlife was more laid back than I expected, the 2 nights we stayed there was a live Jazz band, and the bar area was packed, which made for great people watching.
The location is great – lots of good restaurants and shopping nearby. The workout area is well equipped and clean, and was very busy on Saturday morning when we used it.

Bay Area
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I had been interested in staying at this hotel for a while thanks to its modern, cool style and I always appreciate it when hotel staff takes time to respond directly to Tripadvisor comments, as Tyler Schroeder does for the Clift. We were in town for a birthday treat and so I contacted the hotel in advance and both Andrea and Oscar was incredibly responsive via email. I had a good feeling about the hotel before we even arrived. Our experience was really lovely, and genuinely made our trip all the more special.

John, who checked us in, was very welcoming (thanks for indulging my enjoyment of talking about my home nation, England, John). He quickly informed us of a free upgrade to a suite and though I am not exactly sure how/why that happened it was really terrific. The room was large, clean and may I add that I had THE BEST night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel. VERY comfy bed. Squashy duvet, cozy. Bathroom was small but fantastically powerful shower and lovely soaps.

Would stay again. It was incredibly quiet for a Saturday night too. Impressed I was.

Room Tip: We were on the seventh floor which was incredibly quiet.
Dear shescoopsdotcom,

Thank you for staying with us and providing everyone with your feedback. I am flattered to see that our staff was able to positively influence your stay with us and that you enjoyed your time spent here. I am glad that you liked the complimentary upgrade and that you had such a WONDERFUL sleep!! Thank you for such a fantastic review! Our doors are always open for you, so hurry back!!