“Trendy”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Very good location - 5 min from Union Square, surrounded by lots of options for eating and evening parties. The hotel has trendy inner design, the rooms are small but you have enough space; Internet was complementory. The staff are friendly and helpful. Famous also for the redwood room bar, which hosts late night parties. Anyway, these are not disturbing the guests.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gerry G
CliftFOM, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hi,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Clift as well as the Redwood Room. The Redwood Room is known for being made out of redwood and the moving paintings. The next time you stay in San Francisco, consider checking out the further features Clift has to offer: room service, lobby, red velvet room, and our impeccable customer service.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed there for 1 week in August 2012. The hotel is so nice and glamour. Every night there was a party in the lounge bar and so many lovely and nice people that come from outside the Clift also. The hotel security is perfect. The Clift is so close to Union Square and there is a starbucks on the other side of the street to eat a good breakfast. I stayed in a room to the 8th floor and it was so nice, clean and with a living room to make a dinner. The people of the hotel staff were friendly and ready to help the customer in fact they helped me to find the ticket to go to Alcatraz because I not reserved it before to go in SF. Excellent location and hotel!!!

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GiancC

Hi,

Thank you for your positive feedback and comments. I am very pleased to hear that you received the top-notched service Clift takes pride in.

The location of the Clift as well as the people in San Francisco is indeed noteworthy and the next time you stay in San Francisco, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Was all we said from the moment we stepped into reception, when we got in the lifts, when we walked to our room, and then for about 10 minutes after we got into our room. Perhaps we are easily pleased, or a lot of people are easily disappointed - I don't know. We had a corner suite on the top floor I think it was 1601 but my memory is terrible! It was amazing though, we had great views on two sides and I got a load of cool photos at night once the mist rolled in a bit!

The room was an upgrade the hotel concierge had arranged for us after booking which was a fabulous gesture and my only regret is not tracking him down to thank him personally!

The common comments about the walls being thin is a fair point, but I only heard our through the wall neighbour once, when he was arguing with someone on his phone. Not much you can do about that.

The nightclub downstairs was very very loud but no issue about hearing it when you are so high up! We met a few other guests who were on lower floors who mentioned they could hear it so height seems to be the solution to that.

In terms of location, its great - you can walk to nearby locations for shopping around Union Square and getting to Pier 39 etc is dead easy too. Streetcar F was our weapon of choice for the Pier as its the same tickets / pricing as the bus (transfers valid too)

As its a premium hotel, everything is premium - wifi ($15 a day i think) parking ($40+ dollars) and room service was pricey too. We avoided all of the above and sourced these things locally. Despite feeling like we were totally (and obviously) below the "class" of guests the hotel is aimed at, we never once were made to feel like that (we just did it to ourselves!)

Best parking tip is the Mason Garage just round the corner (the one most the rental companies are based in) - they had a special rate of $22 if you arrived after 6pm and left by 9am.

All in all, we'd go back in a hearbeat and recommend it!

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 23 August 2013

You have to like the modern/trendy vibe to enjoy this place, otherwise you will roll your eyes. I actually enjoy it for what it is. It's in the tenderloin/ union square, so not exactly the best spot I would pick, but very easy to get around from here. Cabs can be hard to get in this city but easier over here. This is one of my top choices when I visit.

1  Thank JetSetJeny

Hi,

Thank you for your positive feedback. Clift takes great pride in the decor and ambiance of its hotels.

Please try some of our sister properties - Morgans Hotel Group, I am sure you would enjoy the vibe there as well.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Awesome Hip Hotel a block away from Union Square. Excellent famous Redwood Bar where anyone who's hip in San Fran hangs out. Make sure you reserve a table. Rooms are trendy and very spacious. Ensure you visit Alcatraz!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrWWilson
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have stayed at Clift many, many times and I always enjoy it. The location is ideal, the rooms are stylish and spotless, and the staff are WITHOUT EXCEPTION the most amazing people I have ever come across in the hotel industry. There is very obviously a top-down emphasis on being friendly, attentive and gracious ... and it shows. These are simply the happiest people ever and the service they deliver shows it. The hotel is in great condition, and if I have ever stumbled across the occasional & unavoidable hiccup (once my shower head was missing a piece ...) it is repaired seamlessly and with a smile. I am always sad to leave and this is now the ONLY hotel I stay at when I'm visiting San Francisco. I recommend booking directly through their website, as their Morgans Hotel guest loyalty program sometimes garners some nice upgrades and perks, and they keep track of small details, such as which newspaper you prefer or your spouse's name, etc. A nice personal touch.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view towards Union Square, and there is a corner room on the TOP floor that is ste...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KSham
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I used to stay at this hotel years ago and LOVED it!!! It was America's Cup weekend etc. so many hotels were booked and we chose the Clift. We were upgraded to a room on the top floor--a beautiful and really big room--but right by the elevator bank and it's motor I am assuming. So at 4 am on all I could hear was the motor.....ugh. The staff was great and moved us to a room on a lower floor that was still rather large. It had a great view and was nice and quiet. The Redwood room used to be the IT place and we were sadly disappointed. It just wasn't what is used to be!! And at 4 pm they expect you to pay the bottle service prices and the food wasn't great. And $30 for a glass of Veuve? I remember Asia de Cuba or something as the restaurant the last time I was there--it is now gone and it is an empty room. I guess all hotels go through phases. I am glad we were upgraded to a big room, and I personally like the cool vibe of this hotel group, but I am not sure I would stay again. The staff was awesome. The valets and bellmen were great as well as the front desk people. Valet parking at $50 a night does suck but it is the city. Great location. They just need to do something to freshen it up a bit and make it a hot place again......

Room Tip: Upgrade to a large room. The regular rooms are TINY.
1  Thank Danni0005