“Big Love for the Big Chair and the Big Presence”

Clift Hotel San Francisco
Ranked #73 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Loved staying here. It all started with a meal with a friend and a few cocktails a few months back. The lobby drew me in with the oversized chair, and the chair flare. This trip I decided to stay a few days and I have to say the service was excellent, the staff was fantastic from desk to housekeeping to room service. We love breakfast in bed and the menu and service was fabulous! We stayed on the 15th floor on the street and were pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was. This hotel is so perfectly situated that it is a short distance from BART and Union Square making everything you need within a stones throw and just the right distance to miss the escalated noise levels. Also, the ACT theatre is 1/2 a block down and it is conveniently situated across from the Grand Cafe if you are looking for a big night out after sitting in the big chair. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I was tempted to request an off street room because I can be sensitive to street noise. It might hav...
1  Thank MyAbundance

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Clift is a great modern hotel in the heart of San Francisco. The staff was extremely accommodating and the room was immaculate. We were able to walk right out of the front door to all of the attractions of San Francisco. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
James_Mays, Front Office Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

We are so glad you joined us at Clift! Our historic hotel is the perfect backdrop for amazing encounters and it is delightful to know you enjoyed it so much. Next time you visit, we hope you have the opportunity to stay and take advantage of all that we have to offer. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is one of the coolest hotels in San Francisco. The room was beautiful, the location is perfect and the Redwood Room is an incredible bar. The hotel is a block and a half off Union Square. Most times I think boutique hotels are too cool for their own good...not so with The Clift. Very cool yet comfortable at the same time. Highly Recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviews such as yours remind us all why we love what we do! Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Clfit. We are delighted to know that you thought Clift was as cool as we think it is. We will be sure everyone gets to share in the pleasure of reading your review. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

After staying in Clift for several (prebooked) days we ended up with mixed feelings. On one hand there's the iconic hotel bar, which is worth a visit on its own. The rooms are spacious and have a distinct feel.

However, we grew more and more discontent with:
-quality: rooms are extremely noisy
-service: frontdesk is understaffed = long waiting times for each query
-extremely expensive. Clift easily charges double rates of the 5 stars hotels just around it. Same goes up for the food and drinks, which though claims of biogical and local sourcing, is just average

In sum, fit for short stay if the rates don't exceed that of the high end hotels around Union Square.

1  Thank Luketravlr

We appreciate your thoughtful review of our location and historical appeal. Clift takes special care to create an environment of relaxation for a fun getaway and it is disappointing to learn that you did not feel the same. Thank you for providing your feedback. We hope to have another chance to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked the Clift with by Express Deal on Priceline, so I had no idea what I was getting. When I saw that it was the Clift I got worried. I usually find boutique style hotels to be silly, lacking basic amenities, and the reviews seemed harsh. My worries ended once I got to the hotel though. What a stunner. Just gorgeous. And comfortable. The lobby smells beautiful. This place is sexy. Not a place for families, best for couples or singles. Union Square and the Tenderloin can be hectic and nerve racking. Coming back to this cool, dimly lit hotel helped me to chill out. Be aware that this place is popular at night because of the Redwood bar. Bring a nice outfit and enjoy it. It's fun to people watch. The good thing is that you can not hear the bar in the rooms. I think I was directly above it and had no problem. I'm not going to post any pictures that I took because they don't do this place justice. I don't even think the professional pictures show how pretty it really is.

Was the place perfect? No. I wish they didn't unstock and lock the wet bar in the cheaper rooms. The TV had very limited channels, most of them were audio only. I do want to address some things I read in other reviews. People complain that the Standard King is a small room. It is. This is SF and the hotel was built in 1913. I've actually stayed in smaller rooms in SF. This room was not bad. Too many wires and extension cords? Again, you are in SF in an old building. There are complaints about the epoxy/paint coming off the tubs. I saw some spots of that in my tub. Know why? These are original cast iron tubs. They are shorter than modern tubs, but are deep, comfortable, and stay warm. Do you really think these beauties should be hauled out and replaced with crappy fiberglass so you don't see a nick in the refinishing? No. As it was, some historical features of this building were surely ripped out for the current redesign. From what I read, the Redwood room was hours from being ripped out. Thank goodness locals fought to save it.

2  Thank FiveAlive

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback about your experience at Clift. We're thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay and were able to appreciate some of the amazing amenities we offer from the Redwood Room to the room. As you mentioned, our historic charm is one of the many things that makes Clift unique, and we love that you enjoyed that experience. Our associates always hope to leave guests with a positive impression and will be thrilled that you found your stay so enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed at Clift hotel for 5 days on a business trip and it was all perfect.
Location is awesome if you wanna be close to the Union Sq and Market St, which means lots of shopping and restaurants options. Starbucks is right across the street and good breakfast options such as Pinecrest and Cafe Mason are really close.
Hotel is modern, with excellent front desk, check-in/out processes were very fast.
Deluxe room is quite large, with plenty of space for one person or couples. In-room WiFi was included in the rate and it was very fast with no connection issues.
Not a budget hotel, but it sure delivers what you're paying for.
Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Clift is certainly renowned for our historic charm, uniqueness and amenities and we are delighted that you could paint such a great picture with your words. We hope to continue to offer the same rejuvenating experience for all of our guests for many years to come and appreciate that you feel that we are, as you put it, Awesome! Thank you for your many wonderful compliments. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Perfectly located on Geary St just a 2 min walk away from Union Square. Lots of food, bars and shopping around. Smallish rooms with large bathrooms. Nicely done up. Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise. Would definitely recommend. Nice, clean and superbly located.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Clift is truly one of the greatest California landmarks located in the heart of San Francisco and offers all of the charm and historical significance of years gone by coupled with luxury and convenience. Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your most recent visit. We are glad you enjoyed a comfortable stay and we hope that you weren’t too inconvenienced by the size of the room. Your opinions are extremely important to us and we will be sure to share your feedback with everyone here. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.