“Modern but noisy hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
brazil
“Modern but noisy hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed for 4 nights at Clift San Francisco in May 2014, in general my stay was good, the hotel is very well located close to the union square, the room was big, comfy, clean and the hotel staff was helpful and kind. However, there were two main issues that made my stay a little bit frustrating:

1) There is a bar at the hotel lobby that gets too crowded at night, lots of people making noise and walking all over the hotel, mainly at the lobby. Looks like you are in a party, not recommended for a family trip.

2) My stay was pre-paid by the company I have business with, however the hotel charged me not only all nights but also the breakfast that I had one morning, by the way the breakfast was included in my stay for all nights. Later on, when I got back to Brazil, I realize those charges (stay & breakfast), called the hotel and they assumed their mistake, however didn't refund the breakfast charge, even though it was also pre-paid as I said.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lrenatoc
James_Mays, Manager at Clift Hotel San Francisco, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your experience with us. While I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall experience, I am sorry to see that you experienced difficulties in regards to your billing. It is our goal to ensure the least amount of inconvenience for our guests and provide a seamless arrival and departure experience. The lively and fun nature of our bar and surrounding area are aspects of our hotel that are unique to our brand. We understand that different guests are looking for various experiences, which is why we ensure that our rooms provide a comfortable and relaxing environment. Thank you again for your comments and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clift.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I will start by saying that I just recently moved away from SF after living there for over five years, so I have a different perspective in this city then I typically do when I am traveling. Spent one week at Clift while my spouse was working in the city. The Clift is in a central part of the city - near all the shopping around Union Square. While it is an older hotel - it has been redecorated and is super modern in design. The staff were helpful and the maid service was great. Like many hotels in the area, it is close to a rough part of town (the tenderloin) and has it's share of crazy homeless people. The bar (The Redwood Room) is lovely but can turn into quite a nightclub on weekends and late into the evening. Room service was super fast and pleasant and the room although a little over mirrored was comfortable. Bathroom was nice but could of used a bit more remodeling. We were happy with a larger almost suite like room - nice couch area and separate dressing room. Tons of closet space! Overall, it is a good choice near Union Square.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the Clift for a weekend visiting friends. It has a really cool bar downstairs and the atmosphere is very fun. The room was a bit small for my liking, but nothing I couldn't handle. The price is also a bit steep, so if you're looking to save a few bucks, look elsewhere. Overall, great experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel should definitely not be called a 5 star hotel. The rooms are ugly, dirty and old. You feel like you've just checked in a room that wasn't properly cleaned. The house keeping does a very poor job and we've had fruits offered rotting in a plate for 3 days without anyone taking it away. The bathroom is tiny and old fashioned and the gym room on the second floor needs a serious revamp! The treadmills seem to have witnessed the previous century and the gym equipment isn't cleaned after customers. I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all, the only good thing about it is it's location!

• Stayed June 2014
We truly appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience with us and regret that it fell short of the high level of service we strive to provide all of our guests. We are a historical building with unique features and design that vary in size and layout depending on the type of accommodation that is reserved. The comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our top priority and I am truly sorry that we failed to impress upon you a sense of luxury hospitality service. I truly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Clift and provide you with the level of service we are typically known for.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

never been san fran before and I fell in love with the place. there for 5 days not enough time will go back again SOON, The Clift hotel, was a bit pricey, but worth the money for the location and the staff. the hotel itself maybe be jazzed up downstairs, bar, foyer sitting room but rooms are basic but very roomy. we were 3 girls sharing, one on the roll away, but was very comfortable. staff were amazingly helpful and very friendly.

Room Tip: if you can afford a suite, very roomy. but we were 3 girls and needed the extra room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This is a weird hotel. For $ 400 a night for room plus $ 60 parking I guess I expected more. We were told the rooms with double beds have no view( not sure if true). Our room was 6th floor and had a wall in front if the window. The room is full of mirrors, floor to ceiling in front and back of beds?!!! The hallway is dark lilac. Bathroom needs an update. Service is good and beds are comfortable.. Location is great.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

My experience was pretty bad at this hotel. The receptionist, James was rude. He gave us a room with one king bed when our res was for 2 beds, he even saw the three of us!!! Then he gave us a room that someone was already sleeping in!!! That went on from 1:30 to 2:30 AM. This hotel is AWFULL!!!

4 Thank LadyBuggie
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I am truly sorry that you were left with any impression that did not express our sincerest desire to provide the best level of service possible. Our Guest's satisfaction is our top priority and I truly hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with a wonderful experience should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Clift.