If your tastes run to the pretentious and trendy, then The Clift is for you. From the moment you step into the dark, theatrically lit lobby you know you are in for an adventure. We discovered The Clift when we were forced to make a hurried decision to book a room for two nights when our first choice hotel could only accommodate us for three consecutive nights out of our needed five in the downtown area. I tend towards a traditional setting and The Clift is definitely not that.
Firs the cons
- awkward tall, heavy doors with spear-like handles at the hotel's entrance. Sometimes there are a few young doormen dressed in black to assist, other times not.
-An incredibly dark lobby with weird furniture.
-Incredibly dark elevators with sparkly lights
-Etched glass chairs in public spaces in hallways.
-Awkward wheelbarrow chair in guest room.
-An odd "cube" for a clock/radio that we never could get to work.
-No refrigerator unless you request a minibar key
- No ice bucket or ice machines for guest use
-No top sheet. Your choices are complete coverage with the duvet or nothing
A list of pros:
-guest rooms use mirrored walls to increase amount of light
-lovely drapery in rooms
-luxurious bath towels
There is no doubt that The Clift is aimed towards a specific market that I am not a member of. As I initially stated, if pretension and forced artsiness is for you, then you will be satisfied with The Clift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An inspired fusion of old-world hotel elegance with distinctly contemporary energy and glamour, the nearly century-old CLIFT’s modern and daring sense of diversity perfectly captures the city’s spirit. Steps from Union Square shopping and the legendary Nob Hill, CLIFT is perfectly located for sightseeing, shopping and socializing. Designed by Philippe Starck, the soaring lobby contains one of the most eclectic furniture collections in all of California ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Clift Hotel San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clift San Francisco
- San Francisco Clift Hotel