“Quiet & clean, but not good for travel & tourist advice”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Boheme

Hotel Boheme
Ranked #114 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
London, England
“Quiet & clean, but not good for travel & tourist advice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Decent hotel, but I have not stayed in others in SF, so cannot compare price-wise.The biggest short-coming is the desk staff are not particularly knowledgeable. They changed constantly, and could not advise on the most basic things, such as location of the nearest tourist office, public transport options, restaurants. Questions were either answered with mis-information or "I don't know." Travellers really rely on hotel staff for this kind of advice.when I travel for holiday I really want good local knowledge & I didn't get it.
Rooms a little dark & a bit stuffy, but well-appointed, good beds & quiet. I slept well.
Beware steep stairs - challenging!

Room Tip: Go for inside to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bentonville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is a bit more bed and breakfast than hotel . . but without the breakfast. It's in a superb location for dining as well as a 15 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf. The building is ancient-as with everything in this area- but well-maintained. The room and bath were clean, no issues. Hotel decor in common areas was nice. We had a room with two queen beds in the back. The downside was two windows with a view of the brick building 6' away, but away from Columbus avenue was a plus in that it was quiet. We stayed during an exceptionally hot weekend and there is no A/C in the hotel. Normally, San Francisco wouldn't need air conditioning but if your plans take you here during a heat wave, another option might be considered. Staff was pleasant and attentive. One plus is they offer room service for soda, etc at a reasonable price. A bit difficult to find if you're driving, but not on foot. GPS was spot on. There is a parking garage called North Beach parking $22 for 24 hr, very close. Find the parking garage first then walk to the hotel. Overall, this was a pricey hotel at $300+ per night with tax but not out of line with other options in this expensive city. If you're looking for North Beach/Little Italy location, this is it. Enjoyed the visit, recommend this hotel, and would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fail1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our first night from the UK. They can arrange shuttle buses to and from the airport which are cheaper than taxis. We were greeted by a friendly lady and the next day directed to an excellent place for breakfast by Charles, who was also really nice. The room was small and had a comfortable but small bed at the back of the building with a window right next to a noisy air conditioning unit. Luckily it was not too hot so we could have the window closed to keep out some of the noise. Also there is no elevator and a couple of steep flights of stairs. Fisherman's wharf and Chinatown is in walking distance and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Overall not bad value for money for the location.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Samiraktaylor
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Hotel Boheme is slap bang in the middle of things in North Beach. Close to loads of shops, bars and restaurants. A 10-15 minute walk from Union Square, lots of bike hire places to choose from, made looking around San Francisco easy. The hotel itself is clean, despite being a little old-fashioned. The staff on reception were very helpful, they booked us an airport shuttle for our ;last day (20 USD each, bargain!) and made our stay really easy. Recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Abeech664
Kent, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I checked the reviews, pictures, and thought I was booking a cute boutique hotel, like the villa Florence at union square. What I discovered was a really worn out hotel. Nothing like the pictures! The carpets were filthy, I refused to walk on them with my bare feet. Then we were shown to our room and told we should keep the window open so the room wouldn't get too hot. Their was an alley and building backed up to the window, no air could possibly come in the window. It was like a sweat box! I told the front desk, they said there was a fan in the wardrobe, yeah a really small fan. After having to get down on the filthy floor to plug it in, it made little difference in cooling the room. Oh and did I mentioned that the cleaning products they use were so strong it gave me a headache. The bed pillows were the worse I have ever seen, like they came from a goodwill. The room was small and dark and hot. We were miserable. The next morning I again complained about the heat so they moved us to another room. And let me also throw in that there are 22 steep steps to the first floor and quite a few to the second floor which we were being moved to. We are senior citizens and it was quite difficult climbing all those steps. So we are shown our new room and yes it was cooler. However, there was a large commercial size air conditioner on the roof of the building next door. It was very large and loud. So I was forced to close the window so I could sleep which made it stifling once more. The next morning was checkout and I was so happy. If the hotel boheme offered me a FREE room, I would not go back! And I paid over $300 a night for this. Never again!

Room Tip: Don't believe all the reviews or pictures you see. Call and ask questions. Most of the other o...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank tskeema1
bohemeSanFrancisco, General Manager at Hotel Boheme, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
We thank this guest for their feedback. Our rooms are not air conditioned as the temperature in San Francisco is very moderate and generally on the cool side so we have heaters. On a rare occasion, the temperature will be above 72 degrees which is why we have very nice electric fans. All of our rooms have windows that open. None of them are anywhere near a "commercial air conditioner on a roof" so we don't know what this means. Our housekeeping staff has been here an average of 10 + years and pride themselves on keeping the rooms (including carpeting) immaculately clean. Our cleaning supplies are strong but mild. There is a reason we received the Tripadvisor certificate of excellence and that is for attention to detail. We do know that sometime we just cannot please a guest. 75% of this guest's reviews are either "poor" or "terrible". We are sorry that Hotel Boheme did not measure up to their expectations.
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I loved this hotel - we stayed in March 2011 (I couldn't choose this date below so chose the oldest date available) and had a wonderful time. The room and bathroom were small but well-appointed, and I loved the decor of the bedroom, particularly the parasol overhead lightshade. Our window looked out on the street, and the first night we were there was St. Patrick's Day, which is apparently a big holiday in North Beach! We sat at the little table in the window with six packs from the package store around the corner and people-watched all night; it was fantastic. The neighborhood is excellent, and the hotel is walking distance from the water. We also walked to Chinatown and up several hills with great views of the city. I highly recommend this hotel to budget travelers who enjoy homey hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a street side room! Otherwise you'll look out on an alley.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Centerville Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Very quaint, small hotel. Centrally located to most all the sites in SF. Courteous and friendly staff. What more can I say!!! They don't have a restaurant but there are some many choices right outside the door that you will never feel the loss.

Room Tip: We had a room away from the main street and it was quiet. My sister in law had one facing the street...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family