“Fantastic hotel, excellent location.”
Review of Hotel Boheme

Hotel Boheme
Ranked #108 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived at Hotel Boheme for night 2 of our 13 night road trip from San Francisco down to San Diego. It has a good feel about it, and we had a lovely room on the front overlooking Columbus Avenue, where all the action is. You are in the heart of North Beach, known as Little Italy. It is a superb area to stay, so many excellent individually owned restaurants, cafes, delis, etc. all on your doorstep, yet you are only about 10-15 minutes walk to Fishermans Wharf. You definitely do not need to go far from the hotel for a meal at night, across or down the road ! Some people comment on the noise at the front of the hotel but we found no problem, the room was so comfortable, and heavy drapes and curtains kept it dark. A lovely hotel, we would return again any time. A very individual hotel.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room on the front, noise wasn't too much of a problem, heavy curtains and drapes...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Boheme

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is awesome - we travelled around the states for 7 weeks primarily in hotels and this is my girlfriends favourite. We stayed 4 nights and loved it - characterful, quaint yet groovy - theres jack kerouac quotes, cool sexy lighting and even an old black telephone, immaculately clean (possibly new?) bathroom, small but comfy bed and really easy good location in terms of tourist sights, good food options, nightlife and general buzz - easy walk to washington square park,fishermans warf, chinatown, union square and pier areas, dont forget cabs are cheap so if you want to day trip the haight, golden gate park or mission area its really only 10-15 dollars from here.

2  Thank Sathya B
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed 1 night over 2 years ago! Was dreading it, I'd loved SF in 1996 but hated it 2006 with my son only being 8, and Fishermans Wharf had become so seedy post 10pm. I flew out alone via a night at Heathrow where I was hassled as a lone female. Taxi driver from airport trashed the area but he was so wrong. Struggled upstairs as needed my case for rest of trip. The next 24 hours were a delight! I felt so safe & secure as a lone female albeit by 10pm I'd flaked with jet lag. Was coming up to Martin Luther King weekend and the place was buzzing got invited to some bizarre places with men wearing better makeup than me. Chinatown close by. Fishermans wharf just a stroll. Restaurants aplenty. America doesn't do bars like the Brits and they really don't like lone females hogging decent tables in restaurants (she wouldn't give me a carafe of wine just glasses) which I did opposite hotel. Missed sherry reception but the 2 men I met at reception desk have got to be awarded as the best hosts ever. Rarely I can be so impressed but these fellas were amazing. Next day I checked out left my case and open hand luggage to await my ditzy American pal who was my host for next few days. They then spent a couple of hours on phone directing her to meet me! Want a reason to revisit San Fran and possibly my best hotel ever (Well travelled through States Europe etc)loved it. I slept like a log woke up without jet lag a first. Who are the fab hosts here?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ChristineDebra
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is my favorite place to stay in San Francisco. We go at least once a year, and Hotel Boheme is always the perfect weekend vacation location. The decor feels so literary, the owners are always helpful, the location is smack dab in the middle of everything cool that's REAL San Francisco. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AmyLizCalifornia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here on a quick 3 day trip to San Francisco with my partner and we were really happy.

The location is tremendous to get around. It is walking distance from Telegraph Hill, Nob Hill, Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, and most of downtown really (provided you don't mind walking up hills) and there are bus stops just down the street to get you to neighbourhood further away. We loved the neighbourhood, with all the Italian cafés around where we had breakfast.

The hotel itself is small but the room we had was perfectly big enough and very comfortable. It looked over a courtyard so was very dark. It wasn't a problem since we were around to visit and spent little time there, but it may be disappointing to some. On the plus side, it was very quiet.

We were mostly impressed by the helpfulness of people on the front desk. We arrived very late due to a significant plane delay. I had called ahead to warn them, and they were always lovely on the phone. Once we arrived, someone was there to let us in even though it was well past 2am, and the whole process was seemless. They were also happy to provide recommendations for local restaurants which is always nice.

I would definitely recommend this place for a touristy visit.

Room Tip: Some don't have a view at all (ours looked onto a wall) so they are dark but very quiet. I suspe...
1  Thank Marion D
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is our third time at the hotel over 9 years. It is still one of our favourite places to stay. Rooms are simple, clean and with very comfortable beds. The character is that of the Beat era, and the hotel does have a care worn feel, but it is part of its charm. The staff are always helpful and can arrange much to help those first visiting, as they did our first time helping car hire, airport shuttle and local recommendations.

The location is everything. North Beach has many eating options, bars, music, etc. The House (1230 Grant Avenue) just down the road is one of the best restaurants in town, (reservations advisable). Breakfast options are good with no chains of note locally - new options (new to us returning that is) included The Station (Columbus/Pacific) and Reveille (adjacent corner). Both great coffee with limited food options.

Downsides? The shower head is mounted low and is awkward and seems common to every room. Whilst rooms at the back are quieter (we only stayed in one once) they feel stuffier and get warmer. Better to go for the view from the front bay windowed rooms, and let the light and air in, plus views of Russian Hill and Nob Hill. Street noise at night, including the Italian restaurants can be loud if you need an early night, but largely it is no more than usual city background after midnight.

Room Tip: 214 (Allen Ginsberg) room - 2nd floor corner, front is best we've had Stay at the front, better...
1  Thank RichardP2459
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I loved the Hotel Boheme. This place felt like the quintessential San Francisco hotel, and it's right smack dab in the middle of North Beach. I guess if I was coming for business I might have wanted something a bit bigger and more opulent, but as a tourist this place really corners the market on beatnik charm. The rooms are dimly lit with parasol chandeliers and postage stamp lampshades. All of the walls are adorned with charming Beat era b&w photos and the occasional framed quote. Our room looked out over Columbus Ave- some pretty solid people watching for sure!. The downsides are that the busy streetscape does generate quite a bit of noise right into the early morning hours, there is no elevator for the luggage, and the parking is pretty tough- the hotel does not have its own lot. Overall, a great experience and fairly solid value for S.F., dig?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple