“Terrific location, beautiful rooms &architecture, wonderful host”
Review of Inn on Castro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn on Castro
Ranked #2 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrific location, beautiful rooms &architecture, wonderful host”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

This is a definate stand out of my trip to the USA this year.

The Inn on Castro is a gem, absolutely lovely and well appointed rooms, beautiful breakfast served daily by the owner, Jan, who was also very helpful in pointing our worthwhile tourist attractions.

The hotel is located in the heart of the Castro district, very close to the train.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JamesThomas2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I no longer think there's any other way to stay in San Francisco. Wonderful location right in the heart of the Castro and Jan was an excellent host and cook. The room was spacious and full of amenities, more than I expected for the lower price.

Room Tip: The lower suites are secluded and private (perfect for a romantic getaway). Breakfast time gave a gr...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin H
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Perfect location for hanging out in Castro. Charming house, clean and Jan the host is very kind and fix a very good breakfast. We liked this place very much, price point is fine considering SF hotels.
The only minus point is the noise created by the staff. No traffic noise - you will sleep well. However it feels like the staff is slamming those thin wooden doors and it resonate like crazy in the whole building. They were setting up the bfast table the evening before and my bedroom was below the dining room and I could hear blasting the cabinet doors for a good while .... same with the laundry door, or the minibar door in the hallway .... I think all these can be fixed if the staff would get this feedback. We don't hear any walking which is good. They have thick carpeting but for a reason that I don't know we hear all the door noises ... so they need to be more gentle and I am not kidding on that one. I was tired and got irritated but did not say anything. Finally I discovered in two different places a bowl filled with earplugs .... so I realized that maybe this is a common thing ...
So a friendly advise to Jan : check with your staff on that point

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank axel16
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

You should know that San Francisco is one of my favorite cities in the world. I love the people and the rich history of the city.

I've stayed at all the hotels in Union Square. You have your major chains with nice, rooms you expect. I've stayed at the Larkspur which has exceptional service (and tiny rooms). I've stayed at the W which is like a club scene from the series ALIAS (fun, young, expensive). The St. Francis (great location, tiny rooms).

I will forever book the Inn on Castro.

As a gay man, it is a half block north of Ground Zero in the Castro. A half block from the Muni (above ground train and subway). So it was where I wanted to be.

I booked the patio room. You can't get a room in San Francisco at a cheaper rate for the space. Private bath (some of the rooms share a bath - and I would consider that in the future if the patio is booked). I had my own entrance and a beautiful, LARGE patio.

The room itself has a large bed, refrigerator, nice sized bathroom (I'm 6'2" - it has a high shower head which is rare in SF). HUGE closet. Free international calls. iPod clock radio. Books to read. Sitting area with a large leather sofa. Coffee pot. Tea.

Breakfast was also served (though I was in town running the half marathon, so I missed the hours.)

Melanie was very sweet and helpful. (She checked me in.) The owner is lovely.

My room was very quiet and again, I was a half block from everything. If you're gay and like to go out, it's right there! And the room was very inexpensive for SF.

It was a VERY simple check-in. "Here's the key. Let me show you around." No papers to sign, because you pay in advance.

Trust me... you want to book this inn and book this room.

Room Tip: Book the patio.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Chad D
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I made a reservation on July 8th 2011 for 6 nights beginning November 9 2011. At this time my credit card was charged for two nights. Upon calling the Inn on November 8th to indicate my arrival time the next day I was informed that my room was booked to another party and the only possible solution was to stay a motel.
The point of making this booking so far in advance was that this was to be our honeymoon--so so disappointed.
The point of making a reservation and charging a credit card is to insure the room is yours- this kind of behavior is unacceptable and unprofessional.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
16 Thank lenkooperman
Seoul
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed in the patio suite for 3 days and could know why this inn was recommended even in the Lonely Planet guide book and got 5 stars rate in TripAdvisor site. In our room, a refrigerator was filled with a variety of (Costco) beverages for free and even a bottle of brandy (I wanted to know the name of it) was on the table so that we enjoyed everynight. The location of inn was perfect for St. Castro visitors and the breakfast for guest was also perfect because the master was a real chef. If I sould stay in SF next time, I'll choose this inn again.

Room Tip: Patio suite would be a good choice for you. I'm sure.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shin_Seoul
England
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have just returned from a week's stay at Inn On Castro. We stayed in The Red Room and could not endorse that room or the Inn nearly enough. Jan is an excellent host - acting as ringmaster to a superb venue, fantastic breakfasts and a welcome that is genuine and experienced.

The Inn caters for everyone. It is better than "gay friendly". It is friendly full stop. Over eggs, waffles and lush fresh fruit we met all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds. The communal breakfast room is neither daunting or impersonal but a great space in which to hear old and new tales and ideas about the city from a mix of newcomers, returning guests and overnighters - all the time punctuated by Jan's agenda-free own take on a city that has been his home for many a year now. There was a lot of filtering ideas and tourist suggestions round that breakfast table that saved everyone from wasting their San Francisco time (which is a real concern when there is so much to savour and experience). I cannot see why anyone would not stay there.

Our room was tidied every day with fresh towels and the complimentary carafe was topped up when the alcohol fairies drank some of it. Furthermore - soft drinks and and guilt-free sized chocolates share corridor space with tasteful and locally produced artwork, there is a spacious lounge and the whole Inn is decked out with a lush, cosy-making carpet.

We never had a problem with any noise. Central San Francisco is a thriving, busy arena. Of course there is going to be the sound of passing traffic. If anything, The Inn On Castro is just off the main thoroughfare anyway.

The position could not be better. The Castro is naturally a perfect destination for the gay or lesbian traveller but offers everyone a wider, more genuine take on San Francisco (don't get distracted by staying in the city - that is not the real San Francisco). And the Mission and Market districts are a walk away with great restaurants and their own cast list of bars and meeting places. Plentiful buses, trams and subways cite in the Castro area mean the Inn as ideal for all sorts of travelling (and not travelling) throughout the city and we never once felt off the beaten track. In fact, the track starts at the Inn On Castro.

Room Tip: The Red Room has great views and was perfect for us. Ground floor, at the back of the building and n...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple