Inn on Castro
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in San Francisco
See available hotels
Beck's Motor Lodge(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Twin Peaks Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
The Metro Hotel(San Francisco)
Hotel Tropica(San Francisco)
Kailash Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
Carl Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
Stanyan Park Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewscastro areamuni stationbrown roomother guestspatio suitehost janbreakfast tablehome away from homefresh fruitevery morningprivate bathtwin peaksbreakfast was deliciousa wonderful place to stayf linerestaurants and barslocation was perfect
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Absolutely fantastic. Warm and inviting, and private as well. The breakfasts were a wonderful surprise to me. Jan is a very generous and gracious host who knows how to put his guests at ease. The entire place was clean and tastefully decorated, and the atmosphere was relaxing. Only a half a block from the MUNI, so it felt the entire city was available. It was well worth the price, and more so. I would definitely recommend this Inn, and encourage other innkeepers to learn from this man. I would stay here again for certain.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We had a really nice stay for three nights and loved the location - nice and close to the castro and the mission, both really great neighborhoods. It has been said before, but it need be said again, that the breakfast is beautiful and should not be missed. Jan and staff are wonderfully accommodating. Thanks so much, would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Stayed end of May with girlfriend for 3 nights.
Firstly, breakfast is definitely a highlight. Jan the owner cooks each morning 2 options and was exactly what was needed to start the day. We chose the top room, which is the white room as I booked well in advance. Nice views over the city and hills. En-suite was good although strange shape toilet means it is more suitable for a lady to sit on.
Bed was huge, I think 2 smaller ones put together but a great size and there was cable tv and radio.
Nice terrace you can sit on too and the weather is a bit warmer in Castro which is nice as it can get a bit chilly downtown.
There is a trolley and train stop right around the corner, we only used the trolley and it takes about 20 mins or so to get downtown, 40 to get to the wharf as it goes along by the embarcadero. You need exact change on these trolleys so have dollars ready.
Castro area is cool, just make sure you are comfortable with the gay scene as it's about as gay as it gets and you might see a fair bit of flesh on the streets in the hot summer days.
It's a walk away to mission st area and a short taxi up the hill to haight ashbury where there are some great bars. Since it was the bank holiday weekend we just used the street parking across the road no problem but apparently there is free parking even midweek about 5 blocks away so you can drive. Recommended for couples both gay and straight and solo travelers who enjoy a friendly chat over breakfast.

Room Tip: white room was very nice, has it's own bathroom and a great view
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Proprietor/Owner Jan de Gier was a delight. He is interesting and intuitive as well as a fabulous breakfast cook (my favorite meal). My room was very comfortable with a lovely view. I felt as if I had a private room in a tree house. The shared bathroom was quite clean and nice. The neighborhood is comfortable and welcoming. I felt safe and quite at ease everywhere I walked in the Castro. This was my first stay in the Castro and my first at the Inn. I expect they will not be my last. I recommend the Inn highly.

Room Tip: I had the upstairs room at the front of the house. It was a bit of a challenge for me as I'm disabled so the climb was daunting. However, I highly recommend this lovely airy room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We - my Mum and I - enjoyed being at the proper Inn this time, having rented one of the apartments on Caselli street last time. We thoroughly enjoy the feel of home Jan creates, the way he gets involved with everybody, without ever making anybody feel uncomfortable.
Breakfasts have been such a wonderful moment each morning. Not only the quality of the food served (fresh & organic), but also the choice of sweet and savoury sides (don't miss their French Toasts) as well as the sweet breads - banana bread, coconut bread, zucchini bread, all baked in the kitchen the night before. Add to this the lively talks that arouse with your few fellow guests from all over the world, Ian's witty comments, and you end up with an inspiring boost into your day!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends