“Cozy, comfortable, and hospitable”
Review of Inn on Castro

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn on Castro
Ranked #2 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Cozy, comfortable, and hospitable”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A must for anyone seeking a centrally located, yet quiet and comfortable stay in the Castro district. The breakfasts are superbly done and afford a great opportunity to get to know the other residents and the owner Jan - a most fascinating person to get to know. Important features I liked:
* free wireless Internet (worked like a charm) * peaceful and quiet at night - noise can be a problem at many centrally located hotels, but definitely no need for earplugs here * walking distance to gyms, restaurants, bars, tramcars, everything! * breakfasts fit for a king * helpful friendly staff *fridges stocked with freebies: water, soda, iced tea *excellent housekeeping. I find it hard to fault the hotel for anything.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Stefan W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Boston
Reviewed 7 May 2014

There are some great reasons to stay at the Inn on Castro.

1 - Location, location, location. The in is in the heart of the Castro. Walking distance to restaurants, bars. Streetcar and MUNI Metro right there.

2 - Breakfast. A fantastic way to start your day, each day. Made to order breakfast and home baked breads each morning.

3 - Friendly staff, with knowledge of the area.

4 - Comfortable rooms with great housekeeping.

5 - Complimentary water, soda, iced tea in-room.

The only things I would like to see are use of irons/ironing boards. Clothes get wrinkled after flying cross county.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I and a friend had a few days to spend in San Francisco before heading to a conference. We were lucky enough to stay at the private apartment on Casselli Street run by Inn on Castro and really enjoyed the privacy, space and comfort of a home away from home. We particularly liked the little deck out back where we could sit in the sun surrounded by flowers. I would have given a 5 star review but we didn't have anything much to do with the inn itself or the staff, except when checking in an out, and to be honest, didn't find them particularly interested in us or very helpful. But can't fault the accommodation - location, comfort or price. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The apartment is a 10 minute up mostly uphill walk from the Inn itself, so if you have bags get a ca...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

A very special once-in-a-lifetime trip to San Fran with a dear friend, was made even lovelier by our choice to stay 4 nights at Inn on Castro. The staff, Sam and Megan, were friendly (and loads of fun), accommodating and very helpful. Breakfast each morning was dee-lish! I opted for the sweet carb option (waffles with strawberries, and almond apple pancakes) while my friend preferred the very tasty protein option (scrambled eggs with spinach, or three cheeses). Our room with ensuite, the White Room, was spacious and very comfortable and it was kept impeccably clean. The Inn is located conveniently close to bistros, restaurants and shops as well as public transportation; the F-line takes you on a scenic ride down Market all the way to Fisherman's Wharf - easy peasy. We loved our stay and highly recommend Inn on Castro.
GDB and AMK

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Long Beach CA
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I always enjoy my stay at the Inn. Centrally located and a hub to explore all of San Francisco. I have stayed at the inn many times and always look forward to my next visit! ! Great staff, always greeting you with a smile and a home away from home feeling as soon as you enter the Inn.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I travel to San Francisco from Pittsburgh, PA, several times a year to visit my son, an aspiring artist who resides in the Castro District. I have stayed at other B&B's, but this time my son booked me at the INN On Castro. Let me just say, WOW!! Who knew my son was this smart. The INN is so much better than a standard hotel room with a continental breakfast. The proprietor, Jan de Gier, is a warm and gracious host. My room was comfortable, spacious, and immaculate. And it also included a complimentary decanter of brandy....Jan said it's necessary for "good digestion" since visitors tend to eat much fine food when in the Bay Area. But the best part of my visit was the full, home made breakfast that Jan prepared for his guests. I swear, breakfast was served on a different tableware setting each morning. Not only was the food nourishing and very tasty, each morning brought new and interesting guests with stimulating conversations going on around the table. Some were locals, folks from out-of-state like me, and even a newly wed couple from the United Kingdom on their honeymoon. This was the perfect way to start a new day. Jan also invited my son to join us for breakfast although he was not a guest. It is a wonderful act of kindness. If you're going to visit San Francisco, then you simply must treat yourself to the INN On Castro. P.S. Jan, I promise to learn how to use a KRUPS coffee maker before my next visit. Your friend, Albert W.

Room Tip: My room faced Castro Street, but since the INN is a block from the main intersection, it was very pe...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Albert W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed at inn on castor for my first few days in San Fran. What a brilliant decision.
The rooms are brilliant and the location is great if you just want to hang out.
Jan makes a fantastic breakfast that sets you up for the day.
It's great value and a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014