“Very nice stay”

Ranked #78 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
New Orleans, LA
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

The location is great, the front desk staff were more than helpful, and the room was comfortable. Some reviews had suggested that the room was too small but it I didn't think it was uncomfortably small. There was no counter space in the bathroom but that really wasn't a problem either. The water pressure in the shower was amazing. The beds were very comfortable. One concern that I did have prior to our stay was the fact that this hotel is not air conditioned. The only way I discovered that they did not have A/C was through an AAA travel guide I got a week before our trip. Being from the south I was very worried about this. Initially I did find it slightly stuffy but the ceiling fans in the room and opening up the windows helped. Even though the outside temperature was in the 80s throughout our stay, the lack of A/C didn't really seem to be a problem. It was a bit noisy with the windows open though. All in all, I would suggest this hotel because of the good prices, comfortable rooms, great staff, and location.

• Liked — great staff
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Keyport, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

This hotel was nothing special, but it was romantic. The ceiling fan had a low profile light which gave a nice glow over the bed. The bathroom had the same feature allowing for a relaxing bath. There was more noise then I would have hoped for, but it wasn't unbearable. The location was great, only a block away from the cable cars.

• Liked — Low profile light / location
  • Disliked — Noisy room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dothedew
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2008

My partner and I stayed here with 2 friends for 4 nights. The rooms were well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. We arrived early on Saturday evening having had a long drive over from Yosemite. The welcome we received was great and they even brought a complimentary bottle of great red wine to each of our rooms.

The Hotel is old , so there are a few creaks and groans from the plumbing but nothing major. Our room had a coffee making machine which made great coffee and there was also free coffee upstairs if you wanted it. The bathroom was well appointed and everything worked fine.

The location is really convenient for getting around on the public transport and we felt safe most of the time although some of the streets around Union Square are plagued by beggars and vagrants. We just ignored them and they didn't cause us any problems.

We were never around for the afternoon tea/sherry mixer - maybe next time!

All-in-all, the KPH is great value for a hotel in this part of town and I would certainly recommend it.

• Liked — Warm welcome and very helpful staff, great location for seeing San Francisco
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank HeatherFLondon
Dahlgren, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

My wife and I got married in Michigan on May 30th and wanted to go to San Francisco on our honeymoon, so I planned a week long trip to the city. The first hotel we stayed at (saturday-tuesday) was the Kensington Park, and it was by far the most impressive hotel with the best experience. The front desk help was extremely helpful, going so far as to print out menus to 5 different romantic restaurants for us when we requested a suggestion for dinner, calling one of the restaurants and making a reservation for us (making sure to tell them that we were on our honeymoon and to give us a really good table), and then walked outside and hailed a cab for us. When we got back that evening there was a bottle of red wine with two wine glasses in our room with a note congratulating us on our marriage.

There are love seats in the elevators. Enough said.

We were on the 12 (top) floor in room 96, a queen room with a view. We could hear traffic, but we didn't mind it at all. It reminded us we were in a bustling living city, but it wasn't nearly so loud as to wake us or have us raise our voices to talk over it.

Overall, this was an amazing start to our honeymoon and i was bummed that we stayed somewhere else the last half of our trip. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. Great honeymoon hotel, especially room 96!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Animaldrummer04
City Gal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights, so I think I have a pretty good idea of whether it's a good hotel or not. I will break it down into pros and cons, since there are quite a few of each:
Pros: great location for catching buses, streetcars and cable cars; great location for late night dining; the beds were super comfortable; they had the room ready for us when we checked in at 9 a.m.

Cons: the woman on the phone told me there was no way that they would have the room ready that early and was quite rude. Housekeeping would call us to ask if we wanted our room cleaned, even if we had a "do not disturb" sign on the door - what if we were taking a nap? It was because housekeeping leaves at 4 everyday so you can't get anything after that time. There was a pink stain on my comforter when we got there. We used the same sheets for 4 nights, then I left the "please wash these sheets" sign on the bed so they would change the sheets (clean them). The pink stain was still there when we got home and our sheets had been "cleaned", which means they don't change the sheets when you are there or in between guests. This, to me, was a very, very big CON. Gross! The room was really noisy because the hotel is old, so you could hear other guests taking showers, etc. They claim they will have tea and coffee in the morning, but they never had hot water for tea. There is no minibar so you can never take food back to your hotel to put in a fridge. Our toilet didn't flush right (it kept flushing for about 20 minutes).

All in all, if this hotel was $70 a night, I would be raving, but for over $200, it's absolutely insane. We even had a "Royal Court" room, which is more expensive, because they give you one-dollar slippers and a busted up coffee machine. I heard the Donatello was really nice and it's just down the street....

• Liked — comfy beds
  • Disliked — poor housekeeping
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2008

Booked the hotel on the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews. As I had left the booking until the last minute, I was lucky to get the room. On check-in there were some guests who decided that they didn't want to stay in the hotel any longer because a friend had told them that the are was too dangerous. The hotel is right off Union Sq which I thought was a great location: central and near the public transport system and certainly not dangerous (although it's a busy part of town).

Hotel room was fine. Free wi-fi, no mini-bar, no restaurant so no breakfast either. Free coffee every morning and there were some evening mixers (but I wasn't able to attend). Nice big TV in my room too. Terrible views from my window though. It was a completely serviceable hotel and I have no real complaints except not having any food facilities there. I was in San Francisco for business and it seemed more of a tourist hotel. On holiday, the lack of restaurant facilities etc isn't a problem but when you're travelling for work, busy and jet-lagged, sometimes you need convenience.

Anyway, overall, favourable hotel. Clean and relatively cheap. The staff were incredibly helpful and polite too. For a vacation the location was hard to beat.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No restaurant or bar.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2008

My girlfriend and I decided to go to San Francisco, and after some investigation into the matter, we settled upon the Kensington Park. We tend to stay at hotels that are fairly priced for their location, such as Bill's in Vegas. I'm not a fan of super splurging on hotels, but then again, I'm not going to save a few bucks if it puts us in a rather unpleasant area. After our stay, I have to say it is 99.9% positive with only a few minor issues.

Located just off the main intersection of Powell and Post, Kensington Park is in a great location. If you're a fan of The Cheesecake Factory, as my girlfriend is, you will absolutely adore this area of town, as the restaurant is on top of a Macy's building no more than 5 minutes walk away. There are many other restaurants within that area, and there is little doubt that if you do not find anything within the immediate area, you can find something just a few blocks away.

The hotel is also a few minutes walk from many posh boutiques, Chinatown, the Financial District, as well as the famous Cable Cars. Public transit is also very accessible from this location, with Geary and Market St within walking distance as well, and was a very good base of operations for the time we spent in San Francisco, as we were mainly focusing on the Northern areas of the city (Bay/Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, Chinatown, Japantown, Legion of Honor, Fisherman's Wharf, and Alcatraz).

Getting to the hotel was a breeze. We simply (well, simply after finding the station) hopped on the BART, got off at Powell, and headed North to Post St. Due to the popularity of the area however, actually navigating Powell and making it up the hill with luggage in tow can be a bit of a challenge. I can't even begin to imagine the difficulties one would encounter should they have children along with them as well. It should also be noted that there are several homeless people along this route. However, they do not do anything that would cause a nuisance or disturb the peace.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a very luxurious, old school classy, dark coloured lobby, completed with a piano, and several comfortable couches. Once check in was completed, we went to our room which was furnished with your typical hotel items, minus a fridge and cooking implements. Most important of all, the room was clean, which is something that is of importance to most people. In terms of the bed, it's difficult to quantify the level of comfort, as this is a person to person thing. I will say that the bed is a bit on the soft side, which may or may not be to your liking.

Naturally, being in such a great city, we didn't spend much time in the hotel room, other than to sleep at night. Each time we came back, the rooms were tidied professionally, with any minor messes we made taken care of. The front desk staff were equally friendly and approachable, and were accommodating to the strange requests that I made of them.

One final item of note is that light sleepers may want a room away from Post St, or perhaps consider a hotel not in this area at all. As luck would have it, Post is a one-way street, and just up the street is a San Francisco Fire Department depot, and because of our room, we could hear/see the trucks whiz by every single night. Despite being 7 floors up, there is still quite a lot of noise. Similarly, I'm guessing there is a Police Department or something in the area, as we heard those noises every night as well.

All this boils down to the bottom line: would I stay here again?

If the rating didn't quite spell it out for you, the answer is yes, assuming I'm doing stuff in this part of town, and I don't want to rent a car. Given the prices of all the other hotels in this area, Kensington Park offers one of the best combinations of location and price around.

• Liked — Location, location, location.
  • Disliked — Noise, noise, noise.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple