“Simply the BEST”

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #80 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I have been going to San Francisco every year for the past 25 years. I ran across Kensington Place on the Internet and thought I would try it.

I have stayed in plenty of premium hotels, but I would rate the Kensington Place as good as the best and a lot better pricing and nicer staff. I don't think that you can beat it. I have found my new place to stay from now on.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Kensington Park Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at the Kensington Park on two different occasions, two weeks apart. We found the rooms generously sized with actual walk in closets. The beds are very comfortable with nice comforters. We appreaciated the two chairs and the wealth of restaurant literature in the room. Our first room was 51, on the 9th floor. It had a great view of Nob Hill, a very nice bathroom with a shower instead of a tub. The complimentary morning coffee service was directly across from our door, incredibly convenient, and not at all noisy. We had a complimentary newspaper in the morning, and a complimentary afternoon tea and sherry in the Lobby. The staff were quite pleasant and very helpful.
After a less than satisfactory stay the next weekend at another close by major hotel, we switched back to the smaller, more intimate Kensington Park for our final night in San Francisco. Our room was lower, with no view, but the closet and bath were still large and the room spacious. It was the same level of comfort and security that we had experienced two weeks before. It was relief to return to the Kensington Park.
The Lobby is gorgeous, and there is a theatre and function rooms in the KP along with an Elks Lodge. The KP's location is close to buses, cable cars, and subway. Terrific restaurants, that always had a table available, are close by along with jazz and night clubs. Chinatown is a close walk, and you are in shopping central, Union Square is just 1/2 block away. There is a Hertz rental location around the corner.
The KP is vintage, so you get a few quirks, but nothing that interferes with your comfort. You don't get that stuffy feeling of the old 5 star hotels that have had the vintage stripped out of them. The KP has been updated to modern sensibilities without losing its original charm. The rooms and baths are superior to that un-named hotel, with the fancy dressed doorman, around the corner. The staff and service at the KP are so much better as well.
We would highly recommend the Kensington Park as a lovely place to stay while you're in San Francisco. Be sure to ask for a rear room with a view. When we return to San Francisco, we'll be staying at the Kensington Park, and asking for Room 51 again. I cannot praise Kensington Park enough - its a well run, well designed place that will make you feel at home.

Reviewed 1 July 2008

The location is great, the front desk staff were more than helpful, and the room was comfortable. Some reviews had suggested that the room was too small but it I didn't think it was uncomfortably small. There was no counter space in the bathroom but that really wasn't a problem either. The water pressure in the shower was amazing. The beds were very comfortable. One concern that I did have prior to our stay was the fact that this hotel is not air conditioned. The only way I discovered that they did not have A/C was through an AAA travel guide I got a week before our trip. Being from the south I was very worried about this. Initially I did find it slightly stuffy but the ceiling fans in the room and opening up the windows helped. Even though the outside temperature was in the 80s throughout our stay, the lack of A/C didn't really seem to be a problem. It was a bit noisy with the windows open though. All in all, I would suggest this hotel because of the good prices, comfortable rooms, great staff, and location.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2008

This hotel was nothing special, but it was romantic. The ceiling fan had a low profile light which gave a nice glow over the bed. The bathroom had the same feature allowing for a relaxing bath. There was more noise then I would have hoped for, but it wasn't unbearable. The location was great, only a block away from the cable cars.

1  Thank Dothedew
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My partner and I stayed here with 2 friends for 4 nights. The rooms were well appointed and the bed was very comfortable. We arrived early on Saturday evening having had a long drive over from Yosemite. The welcome we received was great and they even brought a complimentary bottle of great red wine to each of our rooms.

The Hotel is old , so there are a few creaks and groans from the plumbing but nothing major. Our room had a coffee making machine which made great coffee and there was also free coffee upstairs if you wanted it. The bathroom was well appointed and everything worked fine.

The location is really convenient for getting around on the public transport and we felt safe most of the time although some of the streets around Union Square are plagued by beggars and vagrants. We just ignored them and they didn't cause us any problems.

We were never around for the afternoon tea/sherry mixer - maybe next time!

All-in-all, the KPH is great value for a hotel in this part of town and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank HeatherFLondon
Reviewed 11 June 2008

My wife and I got married in Michigan on May 30th and wanted to go to San Francisco on our honeymoon, so I planned a week long trip to the city. The first hotel we stayed at (saturday-tuesday) was the Kensington Park, and it was by far the most impressive hotel with the best experience. The front desk help was extremely helpful, going so far as to print out menus to 5 different romantic restaurants for us when we requested a suggestion for dinner, calling one of the restaurants and making a reservation for us (making sure to tell them that we were on our honeymoon and to give us a really good table), and then walked outside and hailed a cab for us. When we got back that evening there was a bottle of red wine with two wine glasses in our room with a note congratulating us on our marriage.

There are love seats in the elevators. Enough said.

We were on the 12 (top) floor in room 96, a queen room with a view. We could hear traffic, but we didn't mind it at all. It reminded us we were in a bustling living city, but it wasn't nearly so loud as to wake us or have us raise our voices to talk over it.

Overall, this was an amazing start to our honeymoon and i was bummed that we stayed somewhere else the last half of our trip. I would DEFINITELY stay here again. Great honeymoon hotel, especially room 96!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Animaldrummer04
Reviewed 24 May 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights, so I think I have a pretty good idea of whether it's a good hotel or not. I will break it down into pros and cons, since there are quite a few of each:
Pros: great location for catching buses, streetcars and cable cars; great location for late night dining; the beds were super comfortable; they had the room ready for us when we checked in at 9 a.m.

Cons: the woman on the phone told me there was no way that they would have the room ready that early and was quite rude. Housekeeping would call us to ask if we wanted our room cleaned, even if we had a "do not disturb" sign on the door - what if we were taking a nap? It was because housekeeping leaves at 4 everyday so you can't get anything after that time. There was a pink stain on my comforter when we got there. We used the same sheets for 4 nights, then I left the "please wash these sheets" sign on the bed so they would change the sheets (clean them). The pink stain was still there when we got home and our sheets had been "cleaned", which means they don't change the sheets when you are there or in between guests. This, to me, was a very, very big CON. Gross! The room was really noisy because the hotel is old, so you could hear other guests taking showers, etc. They claim they will have tea and coffee in the morning, but they never had hot water for tea. There is no minibar so you can never take food back to your hotel to put in a fridge. Our toilet didn't flush right (it kept flushing for about 20 minutes).

All in all, if this hotel was $70 a night, I would be raving, but for over $200, it's absolutely insane. We even had a "Royal Court" room, which is more expensive, because they give you one-dollar slippers and a busted up coffee machine. I heard the Donatello was really nice and it's just down the street....

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple