“Great location”

Ranked #77 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
London
“Great location”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the end of a business trip due to it being cheaper than the work hotel!
I checked in on 6th December for a Friday night stay. I arrived at 3pm and was told my reception that I had to wait for 5 minutes before I could check in because they were in the middle of a system upgrade. The offered me free tea from the tea table in the lobby area. I waited 10 minutes which wasn't great as I was tired and wanted to dump my suitcase and backpack somewhere and relax!
Once they were able to check me in, it was a quick process and I was shown to the elavators which took me to my room on the 8th floor. The lifts were really slow. So when I had locked my key in my room later on in the day, it was a painful journey to go back down to the lobby and back up to the room.
I took my luggage to my room myself and found the room easily. The room had a TV, a chair (handy for dumping bags on or putting on boots!), a wardrobe with suitcase holder and complimentary water. There was no safe. The bathroom was an ok-size containing toiletries, hair dryer and bath/shower. The sink was a little small and didn't have room for me to put out my toiletries or make up but there wasn't really enough room in the bathroom to have a large sink. The bed was more than big enough for myself and had no problems sleeping at all. It was quiet and peaceful.
Location was great for shopping. A short walk to the Westfield Shopping centre and tram stop on Market Street. It's right off Union Square too which has Macy's, Tiffany's and Saks. As it's Christmas time, the square was hosting an ice rink and a huge Christmas tree so it was very festive. As I left on Saturday evening though, it was very very busy and the roads around the square were full of vehicles making traffic a nightmare.
Upon checking out, it was done smoothly enough and they asked for feedback. I mentioned the delay in checking in due to their system upgrade and they blamed it on people switching over shifts. Check in starts at 3pm, they should be doing things like that at a different time!
A member of staff helped me order a taxi later on in the day which charged me a set fee and despite the huge congestion occurring in the Square, he managed to get me to the airport within 30 minutes.
Overall, the stay was pleasant. Good value for money & there is more that the hotel offered than I took up. There is a theatre and a cafe area on two other floors. I would recommend this place for location.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MissAmyYa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 in a room with 2 double beds. It was cosy but comfortable enough. The location could not really be any better, just around the corner from Union Square, across the road from the Westin. We stayed on the 9th floor which was fairly quiet. The views however were over roofs of other buildings, but since we didn't spend spend much time in the room, it did not bother us much. The room was average, the bathroom small. The beds were clean and reasonably comfortable. The lighting in the room was poor. The hotel is fairly old but charming. The service was good from the desk staff and concierge. Breakfast available a few doors up the street, nil in the hotel. Stops for hop on hop off buses just across the road , which was handy. Cable car also close by. The business centre allowed us to print boarding passes easily and for free. Very pleasant stay overall.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
2 Thank Travelbug21stC
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

First the plus points, the location is great for visiting the city as a tourist, right on union square, plenty of character, the beds were nice and comfy and the staff good.
On the down side, our room wasn't available when we checked in and when we returned the bathroom in the room we were given had a very strong nasty smell coming from it. My wife informed reception that she though it had just been sprayed for bugs, they immediately offered us another room which we accepted. The second room was fine, bathroom like the other one was probably due a refurb but clean. I was surprised to find there was no aircon, probably mentioned somewhere when I booked but I never noticed and being November not really a problem. More of a problem was the noise, we were on somewhere around 11th floor facing the street and even with the windows shut it was very noisy. Had it been summer with the windows open I really wouldn't have been happy.
Not a bad hotel but I'd probably opt for somewhere more modern next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rob_and_Sharon
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Above average small hotel. Nice rooms and a friendly staff. As in any city watch out for the noise if your room faces the street and you like to have the window open. Price was right but would also consider other places (Westin, Hilton, etc). Art of Shaving set was nice!

Room Tip: Face the back on a higher floor. Don't expect to watch TV.
1 Thank Hail2Pitt87
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days at the end of October beginning of November.
It is very central to Union Square being 50 yards away. The hotel room was light and airy and cleaned every day, Beware which room you get as it can be very noisy, the cable car starts at 6 am and goes on till late. We had a room on the 10 th floor at the back and we could still hear some of the noise. The view from the room made for a great photograph. Hotel staff were very helpful, especially when we asked about the whale watching trip. If you go on the trip the hotel can organise it. Wear plenty of warm clothes and expect to get wet. We were lucky to see a humpback whale breach the water no more than 100 yards away, fantastic.
We ate at Sears, great food, but you should book beforehand as it gets very busy. Plenty of other restaurants around to suit all tastes
The hotel is very central to all the main shops and Westfield Mall and the cable car. If you want to use all the methods of public travel buy a 3 day passport which you can get from the office by the cable car, it is much cheaper.
We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhillHolyoake
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I travel for a work a lot. I've stayed at three of the four Personality Hotels in SF, but Kensington Park is my favorite. The location is perfect, even though it's a 15-minute walk to work I'd rather walk because it gives me option in my (limited) free time. Right there in the heart of Union Square. The staff at Kensington are incredible, the best in the business. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. They aren't the biggest rooms but they're pretty standard for SF. Great location, great staff, great value and nice accommodations. You can't beat that.

Room Tip: You need a room that doesn't face 'the view' because Union Square is loud. I believe th...
1 Thank Laura M
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to host you during your stay at Kensington Park.
We are humbled to have received such thoughtful comments, for there is no greater satisfaction than receiving kind words.

We appreciate your comments for our well-appointed guests room and amenities.

When the occasion arises please contact me and I will personally assists you with your reservation to visit the 4th Personality Hotels.

Your business is much appreciated and we will do our very best to continue to meet your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Lilia Calvario
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 13 November 2013

A very nice styled hotel in a traditional way. They serve Sherry and Tea / coffee during afternoons.
Great location at Union Square just 5-10mins walk to nearest BART Station. 45min walk to Fisherman´s Warf. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diskOS
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear diskOS,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear that overall, you enjoyed the hotel, location, and amenities.

Thank you for highly recommending Kensington Park, as there is no greater compliment.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,