“Nice little property”

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #81 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“Nice little property”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I didn't realize that I wasn't booking a full-service hotel, but with all of the restaurants in the area & delivery options, that wasn't really a problem. It's a half-block from Union Square, so there's plenty of food, shopping & entertainment around. The rooms are a bit larger than I'm accustomed to for historic hotels in this area which was nice, and the furnishings are a nice mix of modern and antique. The free wifi works great in the lobby & in the rooms. They have a doorman, but I'm not quite certain what he does. My entire three-night stay, he was always in the lobby when I arrived & departed and was quite friendly, but he didn't hold the door for me once. He was very interested in helping me with the wifi in the lobby upon arrival as I waited for my room to be ready (I was extremely early). They serve complimentary sherry and tea in the evenings, as well as hot chocolate when it's cold. There are cold beverages, including OJ, at a central location on each floor in the morning. One evening they had a pianist in the lobby who played quite well, but stopped and started songs midway through as she saw fit, as though aware that her playing was just part of the background and no one was really paying close attention. However, it was disconcerting for a music lover. My king bed was extremely comfortable, and the linens were nice - plenty of extra pillows. I had a great view of Nob Hill, and lots of natural light in the room. They have radiator heat, which didn't quite do the trick to warm up the room upon checking in with 50 degree weather outside. I had them bring up a space heater, which heated the room quickly, and I didn't need to use it again after that first evening (thankfully, the handyman/porter who brought it to me was extremely concerned that I would dry my skin out using it, and reminded me of this every time I saw him during my stay - nice fellow). Everything was in good repair, clean, and all of the amenities I needed were present. I really appreciated the closet, drawer & cabinet space in the room as I always fully unpack, and it's nice to have everything put away neatly. My only complaint is that they need to add mini-bars in the room. Overall, I thought it was an amazing value for this location at about $250/night. I'm only not rating it five stars because it's not quite what I would consider plush. There's just a little bit of "finish" that's lacking to get that last star. It's a quirky old hotel with quirky staff, and I like it & would definitely return. After this stay, I'd like to try the other properties in the Personality Hotels portfolio.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lizalot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orangevale, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great location, 1/2 block off Union Square, very helpful and pleasant staff, nice room, even economical overnight valet parking. Surprisingly quiet in a fifth floor room facing the street. Looking forward to a reason to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night on the end of a business trip due to it being cheaper than the work hotel!
I checked in on 6th December for a Friday night stay. I arrived at 3pm and was told my reception that I had to wait for 5 minutes before I could check in because they were in the middle of a system upgrade. The offered me free tea from the tea table in the lobby area. I waited 10 minutes which wasn't great as I was tired and wanted to dump my suitcase and backpack somewhere and relax!
Once they were able to check me in, it was a quick process and I was shown to the elavators which took me to my room on the 8th floor. The lifts were really slow. So when I had locked my key in my room later on in the day, it was a painful journey to go back down to the lobby and back up to the room.
I took my luggage to my room myself and found the room easily. The room had a TV, a chair (handy for dumping bags on or putting on boots!), a wardrobe with suitcase holder and complimentary water. There was no safe. The bathroom was an ok-size containing toiletries, hair dryer and bath/shower. The sink was a little small and didn't have room for me to put out my toiletries or make up but there wasn't really enough room in the bathroom to have a large sink. The bed was more than big enough for myself and had no problems sleeping at all. It was quiet and peaceful.
Location was great for shopping. A short walk to the Westfield Shopping centre and tram stop on Market Street. It's right off Union Square too which has Macy's, Tiffany's and Saks. As it's Christmas time, the square was hosting an ice rink and a huge Christmas tree so it was very festive. As I left on Saturday evening though, it was very very busy and the roads around the square were full of vehicles making traffic a nightmare.
Upon checking out, it was done smoothly enough and they asked for feedback. I mentioned the delay in checking in due to their system upgrade and they blamed it on people switching over shifts. Check in starts at 3pm, they should be doing things like that at a different time!
A member of staff helped me order a taxi later on in the day which charged me a set fee and despite the huge congestion occurring in the Square, he managed to get me to the airport within 30 minutes.
Overall, the stay was pleasant. Good value for money & there is more that the hotel offered than I took up. There is a theatre and a cafe area on two other floors. I would recommend this place for location.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MissAmyYa
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 in a room with 2 double beds. It was cosy but comfortable enough. The location could not really be any better, just around the corner from Union Square, across the road from the Westin. We stayed on the 9th floor which was fairly quiet. The views however were over roofs of other buildings, but since we didn't spend spend much time in the room, it did not bother us much. The room was average, the bathroom small. The beds were clean and reasonably comfortable. The lighting in the room was poor. The hotel is fairly old but charming. The service was good from the desk staff and concierge. Breakfast available a few doors up the street, nil in the hotel. Stops for hop on hop off buses just across the road , which was handy. Cable car also close by. The business centre allowed us to print boarding passes easily and for free. Very pleasant stay overall.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Travelbug21stC
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

First the plus points, the location is great for visiting the city as a tourist, right on union square, plenty of character, the beds were nice and comfy and the staff good.
On the down side, our room wasn't available when we checked in and when we returned the bathroom in the room we were given had a very strong nasty smell coming from it. My wife informed reception that she though it had just been sprayed for bugs, they immediately offered us another room which we accepted. The second room was fine, bathroom like the other one was probably due a refurb but clean. I was surprised to find there was no aircon, probably mentioned somewhere when I booked but I never noticed and being November not really a problem. More of a problem was the noise, we were on somewhere around 11th floor facing the street and even with the windows shut it was very noisy. Had it been summer with the windows open I really wouldn't have been happy.
Not a bad hotel but I'd probably opt for somewhere more modern next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rob_and_Sharon
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Above average small hotel. Nice rooms and a friendly staff. As in any city watch out for the noise if your room faces the street and you like to have the window open. Price was right but would also consider other places (Westin, Hilton, etc). Art of Shaving set was nice!

Room Tip: Face the back on a higher floor. Don't expect to watch TV.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hail2Pitt87
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days at the end of October beginning of November.
It is very central to Union Square being 50 yards away. The hotel room was light and airy and cleaned every day, Beware which room you get as it can be very noisy, the cable car starts at 6 am and goes on till late. We had a room on the 10 th floor at the back and we could still hear some of the noise. The view from the room made for a great photograph. Hotel staff were very helpful, especially when we asked about the whale watching trip. If you go on the trip the hotel can organise it. Wear plenty of warm clothes and expect to get wet. We were lucky to see a humpback whale breach the water no more than 100 yards away, fantastic.
We ate at Sears, great food, but you should book beforehand as it gets very busy. Plenty of other restaurants around to suit all tastes
The hotel is very central to all the main shops and Westfield Mall and the cable car. If you want to use all the methods of public travel buy a 3 day passport which you can get from the office by the cable car, it is much cheaper.
We would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the upper floors at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple