“Terrific location! Helpful staff, Meh room....”

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #79 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Toronto, Canada
“Terrific location! Helpful staff, Meh room....”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Kensington Park is an older hotel, and it's clean but dated. The beds and linens are comfortable and the windows open. We were there for New Years, so the lack of air conditioning wasn't a problem. It is a non-smoking building, but the building houses the Elks lodge (which is a private club), and apparently they can still smoke in there; so at times you can smell a faint amount of smoke from the shared ventilation. There is no in room safe, and the bathroom is pretty dated.

The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful, and there is tea and sherry in the lobby every evening, with some live music which is nice. It was our anniversary and they really tried to make it nice for us, and they even dropped off a complementary bottle of wine.

The Location is amazing, right at Union Square, across from Macys, and surrounded by other amazing hotels and high end shopping. If you are going to go for a walk just don't go south of Market street, as it can get pretty sketchy.

It is right next door to the Farallon Restaurant if you like seafood. Checkout their $6 Happyhour!

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a city view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JodyToronto2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in December during a business convention. Overall completely satisfied. The location cannot be beat for the price (although prices were jacked up for the convention week, as they were at every hotel in the city). I had a corner room looking North and East and could see the ice skaters on Union Square from my window. Extremely comfortable bed - and bathrobes! I paid a few dollars more to upgrade to a higher floor and I highly recommend this. The bathroom IS old and smaller than in the average business hotel; this is an old historic building, so I'm not sure what they could do about that. The smaller bathroom was offset by excellent, complimentary Internet and the extremely good morning coffee (and orange juice) stations set up on a couple of the floors.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank hollyberry57
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear hollyberry57,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed seeing Union Square from your window. It is an amazing view, especially during Christmas season.
I can certainly agree that our hotel is in a very convenient location.

We are thrilled to hear that you felt our beds were extremely comfortable. Our coffee it’s extremely good and I am happy you agree with us.

This building is an old historic building and we appreciate your feedback and we will most certainly be taking into consideration with future developments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,
Angels Camp, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We had a great time at the Kensington park hotel just after New Years celebrating my wife's Birthday. The hotel gave a bottle of wine, we ate at Farallon (top notch), and saw the play "Storefront Church" all in the same general building. Excellent

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert S
Personality H, General Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Greetings

Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Park Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again during your future visits to San Francisco. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Warm Regards
los angeles
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have stayed here for three visits to San Francisco in the past year. The location is wonderful--close to Union Square and its attractions. The rooms bring you back to an earlier era in old San Francisco. Yet, they have the needed comforts of a modern room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelmom01958
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear travelmom01958,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are always pleased to hear from our loyal guests. We want to personally thank you for making us your home away from home.

We are thrilled to hear our room has the comfort of a modern room but, yet it takes you to an earlier era. I couldn’t say it any better.

We are glad you enjoyed our location and I can certainly agree that our location is convenient to restaurants, theaters, and shopping.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Best regards,
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We loved this hotel, from day one they exceeded our expectations. We stayed for 10 nights and loved the location. We were on the 9th floor and went out each morning to complimentary coffee an orange juice. A folding bed was supplied for our daughter who works in San Fran, but would some nights have had a long trip to her apartment. We loved the complimentary sherry & tea each evening in the foyer. It felt cosy and friendly rather than corporate. All in all we would stay there again without hesitation. Location, perfect.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rjmabbett
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I didn't realize that I wasn't booking a full-service hotel, but with all of the restaurants in the area & delivery options, that wasn't really a problem. It's a half-block from Union Square, so there's plenty of food, shopping & entertainment around. The rooms are a bit larger than I'm accustomed to for historic hotels in this area which was nice, and the furnishings are a nice mix of modern and antique. The free wifi works great in the lobby & in the rooms. They have a doorman, but I'm not quite certain what he does. My entire three-night stay, he was always in the lobby when I arrived & departed and was quite friendly, but he didn't hold the door for me once. He was very interested in helping me with the wifi in the lobby upon arrival as I waited for my room to be ready (I was extremely early). They serve complimentary sherry and tea in the evenings, as well as hot chocolate when it's cold. There are cold beverages, including OJ, at a central location on each floor in the morning. One evening they had a pianist in the lobby who played quite well, but stopped and started songs midway through as she saw fit, as though aware that her playing was just part of the background and no one was really paying close attention. However, it was disconcerting for a music lover. My king bed was extremely comfortable, and the linens were nice - plenty of extra pillows. I had a great view of Nob Hill, and lots of natural light in the room. They have radiator heat, which didn't quite do the trick to warm up the room upon checking in with 50 degree weather outside. I had them bring up a space heater, which heated the room quickly, and I didn't need to use it again after that first evening (thankfully, the handyman/porter who brought it to me was extremely concerned that I would dry my skin out using it, and reminded me of this every time I saw him during my stay - nice fellow). Everything was in good repair, clean, and all of the amenities I needed were present. I really appreciated the closet, drawer & cabinet space in the room as I always fully unpack, and it's nice to have everything put away neatly. My only complaint is that they need to add mini-bars in the room. Overall, I thought it was an amazing value for this location at about $250/night. I'm only not rating it five stars because it's not quite what I would consider plush. There's just a little bit of "finish" that's lacking to get that last star. It's a quirky old hotel with quirky staff, and I like it & would definitely return. After this stay, I'd like to try the other properties in the Personality Hotels portfolio.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lizalot
Orangevale, California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great location, 1/2 block off Union Square, very helpful and pleasant staff, nice room, even economical overnight valet parking. Surprisingly quiet in a fifth floor room facing the street. Looking forward to a reason to return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple