“Super location, good value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kensington Park Hotel

The Kensington Park Hotel
Ranked #77 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Danville, California
“Super location, good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights during a conference. Rate was $179/night and it is 1 block from Union Square. Cannot beat the location. Very friendly staff. Small, clean rooms. A bit warm - and no a/c - but we did not open the window (I believe that it opened). A European feel. They host sherry at the end of the day in the lobby, and tea throughout the day in the lobby. Would recommend this hotel. The parking is poor .... supposidly they have valet parking. I parked in a no park zone with my blinkers on and asked the front desk for Valet. They said that they had to call the valet (they are from the actual parking lot). Waited 15 minutes and then gave up. I parked myself 1.5 blocks away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

As with many of my hotels, I got the Kensington Park Hotel from Hotel Tonight. It was one of the less expensive properties on the day's list, and after reading many glowing reviews, I picked it. One of the main reasons, aside from the price, was the effusive praise of the beds. People were saying these were the best beds they had ever slept on. I have fibromyalgia, so a comfortable night's sleep is critical.
When we arrived, the hotel staff were really friendly, and in a completely real and sincere way. I liked the lobby and, although I was wary of the elevators because of some reviews I had read, I had no problem with either of them. Our room was at the top of a flight of stairs, but it was not an issue at all, nor was the fact that we face a main street. The room was still fairly quiet, even on a Saturday night. We did have noisy neighbors, but I think that was less the fault of thin walls than of the loud talking man in the next room. Apparently some other guest complained because I heard him say, "They want me to talk quieter? Well, f&*^! this hotel!" I guess they checked out because we didn't hear him again. I could barely hear his female companion, so it was definitely him.
So why the three stars? The mattress was super hard, to the point where my hips felt bruised in the morning and my back was aching. When I asked if they had any extra pillowtop pads or similar softening items for the second night, the lady at the desk wrote a note and said she would check. We spent the day out at a Giants game. When we returned, I didn't have a message or a note or anything -- nor did I have a softer night's sleep. I would have accepted the fact that they didn't have anything that might help, but if you say you'll check on something, get back to people. We'd generally like to be disappointed than left in the dark. At least I would.
My only other minor quibble was the Neuro Sleep water that was given out free. It was a cool concept, but people should be aware that the Magnesium in it is a laxative. Just saying...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dimitar S, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear UglyDollOX,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, As you have mentioned in your review we do receive positive comments about our beds and I apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies about the front desk agent not following up on your request. I can assure you that the issue has been addressed accordingly.

We have forwarded your comments, about the Neuro Sleep Water, to our partners and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

I hope that you will give Kensington Park Hotel another chance in near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me and I will personally assist you with your reservation.

Best,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Upon check in we were upgraded to a suite on the top floor. The room was absolutely beautiful along with the hotel. Unfortunately, the fan in our room didn't work and there were a few other glitches (like getting our car from the lot. Things were backed up for a little over an hour). Nothing too terrible. We told the front desk on our way out to dinner and they said they would have it fixed when we got back but were not able to so the management gave us a discount on our already upgraded room and were so sweet about it. She went out of her way to make it right. I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again! This is how every hotel should operate. And it was such a beautifully old fashioned hotel with so much character!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Personality H, General Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Greetings 1travelover

Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Park Hotel. We are very happy to hear that you had a great experience and enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again during your future visits to San Francisco. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Warm Regards
New jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a great place. You can walk to the train, the trolley, the bus and yes is so closed to the shopping district. The hotel staff were very pleasant. The hotel was clean and the room was well kept. My only suggestion to people booking here is if they stay in room #51 on the 9th floor at 550 am they put out coffee and tea right across from the room. So u have some not a lot of noise from the person setting it up and people serving themselves. Also there is a small water dripping sound coming from behind a wall it. The noise comes occasionally is not loud enough but you can hear it. I'm also hoping that in the near future they have a bar inside the hotel. I will definitely recommend this hotel and I will definitely come back but will stay in another room :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ronie e
Personality H, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Ronie e,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience with other travelers. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next trip to San Francisco, in order to choose the perfect room for you.

Looking forward to see you again in the near future,
Best Regards
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it is in a good location. The rooms are very tatty and in need of decorating. I stayed on the top floor and the direct view from my window was all the various bits of rubbish left on other roofs. I have stayed in San Francisco several times and this is the worst hotel I have stayed at.

Now to add to that I have noticed bed bug bites which must have come from there. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank elparaisogolf
Dimitar S, Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear elparaisogolf,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear your stay was not as pleasant as you would have expected. Please accept my apology. Kensington Park Hotel undergoes a regular thorough inspection to ensure the property is free from any insects. We always encourage our guests to express their concerns during their stay so we can very well accommodate them.

I hope you will give Kensington Park Hotel another chance and consider staying with us on your next trip to San Francisco.

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I had to switch hotels from The Orchard to The Kensington Park as the rate in the Orchard went to high for the second week of my trip. Quite a gothic reception area and the rooms were pleasant and the usual size for the Union Square district. One major issue was the lack of aircon but I knew that before I booked - the ceiling fan did cool the room down a lot especially with the window open. Unfortunately, the housekeeper kept turning off the fan leaving the room really warm when returning in the evening.

All in all, a pleasant hotel in a great location 50 yards from Union Square and with a great rate. However the lifts were comically unreliable. When I arrived, one lift was out of service. As I went down to reception two hours later to meet my colleague, I heard someone stuck in the other lift. As my colleague had a room on a 6th floor, we decided to get a drink whilst the lift was repaired to save having to carry cases up lots of stairs.

Later in the week we returned to the hotel late in the evening and found lots of Fire Trucks arriving. Fortunately the hotel wasn't on fire but it was yet another lift kidnapping.

So enjoy the Kensington Park, it is a great place, but beware if you are of limited mobility. It is however great exercise for all the hills in San Francisco :)

Room Tip: Go high. The lowest rooms are still a fair few floors up so getting low doesn't mean you can avo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LolTM
Dear LolTM,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the elevator issues you have experienced during your stay. Please allow me to explain the elevator challenges that we were facing during your stay. Due to a major update to the door equipment, required by the state of California, we had to place one elevator out of order at a time in February and early March. One of the elevators was out of services, when you first arrived, due to the repairs. The trapped passenger had overloaded the elevator with equipment that he was picking up after an event in one of the banquet rooms in the building, despite the fact that the weight limit is clearly posted in the elevator car.
The overloading of the elevator had an impact on the new equipment; therefore the elevator got stuck later on in the week. The elevator mechanic arrived 30 minutes after he was dispatched, however the trapped passenger had called the fire department.

I can assure you that the issues, described above, have been addressed accordingly. An elevator mechanic is inspecting both elevators on a daily basis to ensure that the new equipment is functioning properly. Both elevators are running and we have not experienced any further issues.

I truly hope that you will give the Kensington Park Hotel another chance in future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will assist you with your reservation.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Beautiful and historic hotel. Beautiful rooms, excellent staff and perfect location. We had a party of 11 people in rooms and everyone thought it was a great hotel....the sherry served is actually good stuff.....location location location

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper stay on the back of the hotel.......front rooms if you open the window ca...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank henry2209
lcalvario, Guest Relations Manager at The Kensington Park Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Dear henry2209,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I agree with you our building and rooms are beautiful. I am thrilled that you discover one of our best assets and it’s our location.

We are delighted to hear that you and your party had a pleasant stay. We appreciate the recognition of our staff efforts to provide quality and friendly service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lilia Calvario