“Edwardian Charm in City Center”
Review of The Nob Hill Inn

The Nob Hill Inn
Ranked #14 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Thank you Trip Advisor for making me discover this oasis of refinement in the heart of San Francisco. After living in France for many years, I felt at home in this recently restored Inn. In addition to the period decor, I found a pleasant staff and management, The bathroom, bedding and linen were impeccable. Sophisticated Nob Hill, Pacific Heights, Chinatown and North Beach were walkable. The Inn is very close to the California Cable car line and all major trolley and bus lines. Even if you are not too religious, do not miss sunday chorale mass and tour at the Grace Cathedral just up the hill on Taylor street.

Room Tip: The junior suite on floor 3 is a little more expensive, but quite spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FPWhitePlains
There are newer reviews for The Nob Hill Inn

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Yes, times change, but staying in this lovely, old-fashioned place makes it seem as if time has stood still. The rooms are furnished with period pieces and the beds are very comfortable; I've had the best sleeps there in spite of the fact that noise CAN be a problem, depending on the room. Some have had have had the windows upgraded, which reduces the traffic sound considerably, but summer conditions might make that an issue. Plus the Huntington is closed for reno's, which reduced the clatter sanitation trucks make VERY early in the morning. There is a lovely breakfast nook downstairs which offers a nice Continental start to the day--choice of 3 different cereals or toast, tea/coffee, yoghurt and a glass of OJ or grapefruit juice. It used to be free but now there is an additional charge. The staff are great but they are VERY strict about having visitors above the reception area, which is actually a good thing. We have now stayed there 3 times and I am certain we will continue to use this facility in the future. The location and proximity to the rest of the City is wonderful--every place you want to go is either a short, inexpensive cab or transit trip away.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't front one of the busier streets if noise is an issue for you or bring e...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terri C
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great appearance from the outside & reception but rooms dark & dismal. One of our rooms didn't even have a window. This should have never been let. Staff were very friendly & helpful on where to & not to go in the city. Sorry but I won't be recommending you to any of our friends. :((

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bigsweat
Reviewed 27 September 2013

we stayed here 7 days as an exchange with our timeshare. this was our 5th visit over 17 years, and as we choose to stay in boutique hotels or timeshares, we know the rooms will be small. this inn was a previous private residence built in 1908 that is now a 21 room inn. their web site says it was renovated in 1998 and again recently. the theme is Victorian. there is an old European type elevator that took us to our room on the top floor, the 4th, which was light and airy, with the windows open, which one needs to do as there is no air conditioning. there is free coffee in the mornings and they made us decaf. I tried the $8.50/person continental breakfast once and it was not to my liking so we went elsewhere. they offer sherry and tea in the afternoons in the sitting room, which a number of people attended. our only complaint was that we could not access wifi in our rooms, only in the sitting rooms downstairs and even there, we went 2 days without it. the staff just shrugs about it. we were unable to print tickets from their computer however the staff did direct us to a place downtown where we could get that done. the place was very clean. there is daily housekeeping which we really appreciated due to the smallness of our room. great location as 1 block from the California trolley line. we easily walked into the downtown area from the inn. many restaurants and cafes around the area. a comfortable bed, so important. it can be noisy however, it is the city and I just used my earplugs!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jarmwr40
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My family stayed here in a two bedroom/two bathroom suite. It was very comfortable and the decor is a throwback to days gone by. The front bedroom does have noise from the cars going by at all hours. My son needed ear plugs in able to sleep.

The unit had a partial kitchen which was nice to be able to eat breakfast in the room and have cold drinks available. We never cooked dinner in the unit since we had all of SF to choose from. The location is good but there are some pretty steep hills to get to many locations. Chinatown, the pier and downtown were all in easy walking distance. There is a convenience store across the street and another market not too far away. We would definitely recommend this inn. The staff was all very helpful and nice.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ColeenRN
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My husband and I booked our time at Nob Hill for my birthday but we were only able to stay 4 days not the entire week.:( I had contacted the resort since I had a few questions, I spoke with Tali who was friendly and helpful. As suggested we did not rent a car but booked a shuttle for pick up and return to the airport. The company we booked with was American Airporter Shuttle. Our flight was cancelled only to have a later flight. I call the shuttle company to let them know. Then calling to talk to Tali again we figured my husband I and would not have time to take the shuttle and make our dinner reservations. I canceled the shuttle and they were very understanding. We used Uber. Great service. The room was perfect, clean and I loved the claw bath tub and the fact I've wanted to stay here for many years and finally did. It's charming with the old elevator and the tea and sherry in the afternoon and giving your room key when you go out is cool. We enjoyed our stay, we stayed in the room someone else said was noise. It was kind of but you can hear the city alive and felt like your home. There is no A/C but in 1902 was there any? We took a walking tour, Foodie Adventures, eat at great restaurants, Seven Hills, Hakkasan, Kokkari and Hunan Home's and my birthday extended weekend was wonderful. See my other review for more information. The location is good, close to cable car and walking distance to other areas. It was great! Thanks to all of the staff who were helpful. Live in the moment and you'll enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: We liked our room they brought us a fan since it was warm, we had the windows opened and could hear...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cassiefelix
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Really nice place. Staff are charming, warm, and very helpful with local restaurant suggestions. Rooms are very nice. Great location. Extremely noisy, though. Side street has noise most of the night and early in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple