“Queen Anne in January”
Review of Queen Anne Hotel

Queen Anne Hotel
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 14 January 2014

My adult children and I vacationed in San Francisco in January, 2014. I selected this hotel for three reasons: safety, location, and price. I wasn't disappointed. The area feels safe. It's nice they close the hotel at 11pm and you have to ring a bell for access. The atmosphere is very homey. My daughter commented it was the only hotel that she felt comfortable and "at home". It is easy to access all transportation lines. The breakfast is adequate. Nice place. We would stay here again.
My only complaint is the bed and pillow. I think both came with the hotel from the 1800's.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank RuthAnn W
QueenAnneHotel, Director of Sales at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We are very honoured to receive your review RuthAnn...
Even though every detail was not perfect you still felt we should
have 5 stars/circles! That means a lot to us. Thank you.
New pillows are routinely coming in so we'll check on that and
the beds too. The mattresses are new but the 'antique' head boards
in some rooms might create the feeling that they are older. We wish
to know that you slept in comfort as a main concern. Hope to host
your stay again when you return to San Francisco.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

What a great place to celebrate Christmas! Not far from Union Square we found this genuine place that matches a good Christmas. As far away from your ordinary American motell as possible. Extra plus for complimentary sherry and cookies every afternoon.

Room Tip: If you are more then two people, try their family suite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna B

Thank you Anna, We love to hear that our guests enjoy that we are
a unique accommodation... Far from cookie cutter chain hotel style!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Selected this hotel based on the proximity to places we wanted to see. Beware--distances are deceiving and mostly vertical. Room was comfy. Breakfast was good, but after 5 of them we'd have appreciated more variety. Staff very friendly. Wife complained of odors that I never detected. They have promoted a ghost story, but it is of the Caspar nonthreatening variety and was not in evidence. Our breakfast partners were overwhelmingly German which was fine. Suggests that is where their marketing is focused. One older couple formerly from the area told us they come to the Queen Anne quarterly for weekend stays and that it is the best and most reasonable in the area. I would certainly come back.

Room Tip: avoid the clunky old elevator by staying on lower floors
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tony M
Reviewed 16 December 2013

So many differing reviews. Stayed here two nights. The location (for what I needed ) was excellent. Easy to make reservations. Great staff, especially Matt. Old Victorian hotel, and I am not a Victorian fan. But saw the pics and thought I would give it a try and am glad I did. Got an early flight and got in before check in (3:00). They helped and made sure I got a freshly cleaned room and got in early. Checked out all the decorations, near Christmas and Victorian is always over the top. This is an older hotel, great creaky elevator, loads of character. My room had a huge comfy bed, ornately carved. Lots of decorative pillows, great view to Lafayette Park out of my 4th floor room. Immaculate bathroom, looked brand new. Comfy sheets and pillows. Coffee maker and fridge (neither of which I used). There is a computer in the lobby that was available for guests, I printed out my boarding passes there. Matt was VERY accommodating, helped me reserve my shuttle back to SFO ($16 as opposed to a $50 cab ride..I even got to the airport on time even with all the pick ups). I can't find anything negative to say other than the clock read out in army time which I guess is no big deal with cell phones, and the windows could be left open but no screens, but I didn't need to have them open during this time of year. Matt offered a wake up call (not needed, again used my cell phone). The complimentary breakfast was excellent...waffle maker, fruit, bagels and muffins, juices, cereals, sausages. More than enough to get you started for the day. They have sherry & cookies in the early evening as well but I was out during these times. Also left at 5:15 a,m. and whomever was at the desk was helpful as well. No amenities to speak of (gyms or pools) but the staff was great! The price was ok, comparable for any room in San Francisco which are all expensive. I have NO COMPLAINTS at all with this hotel and will book there again on my next SF visit.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor, looking out towards Lafayette Park. Fun street to look out over...pigeons co...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank laurel d
QueenAnneHotel, Director of Sales at Queen Anne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you Laurel. We hope to see you back again soon and will make sure Matt knows he's appreciated.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

After reading reviews online the 5 star glowing reviews and the 1 star review it caused me to choose the Queen Anne out of all the choices there are in San Francisco . It was fun , colorful , over the top Victorian . The guests all seemed to be enjoying themselves . We greeted each other on the emmense staircase. The staff WAS friendly and helpful . I called after my flight was very delayed . " No problem" !! When I arrived at midnight a lovely man showed my to the teas and coffee and offered me a snack . My room was large . I had a suite but with an online coupon it was less than the single room . This is not a fancy new hotel . Its a fun lovely old hotel . Yes there may be a stain here or there on the rug but the important stuff like clean bedding and fluffy towels were 5 star .The bathroom was spotless and there seemed to be someone always quietly dusting all the antique furniture . I appreciated the fact that floors werent being vacuumed at 8 am outside my door. I have traveled many places . This hotel ( even tho Mr 1 Star said it was haunted) made me feel safe and at home . Ill admit I went from my fourth floor room down the huge staircases to the first floor in my sock feet to get a cup of herbel tea. I felt safe . My only tiny wish ....more choices for breakfast or more healthier .... Stay . Have fun . Giggle at the over the top red drapes !!! Maybe listen for the famous Ghost . She knew I needed my rest so all was quiet.

Room Tip: Look for deals on line for suites ! Fourth floor was very quiet but you can hear the soft cooing of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Nosnowbird185

Thank you Solo Traveler. Glad you enjoyed yourself and also noticed that our guests are very happy and enjoying themselves. For a small hotel we really have a very spacious and ornate Parlor and Salon. Plus our Library is a lovely place to sit by a fireplace.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I'm sure this hotel has its fans but I wasn't one of them. Probably my error for not doing more research; it is close to nothing and the decor wasn't what I was looking for, tired and overdone. Staff friendly enough but I chose poorly. If there was AC in the room then I couldn't find it. Sitting room/parlor might be nice for some but not for me.

Room Tip: Can't say, we didn't get a good room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SCDevsFan

Sorry the Queen Anne was not your cup of tea! Victorians would put just about anything of value or artistic beauty in their homes. If they obtained a shrunken head... you guessed it... they would put it in there! Since, to date, we have no shrunken heads, we must take issue with you that the Queen Anne's decor is overdone.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This place is a joke. I stayed for 5 nights in November and found it one of the worst 'hotel' stays I can remember. First, the room rate varied per night, and for 3 nights I was charged $469 per night! A total rip off for a second rate B&B. Terrible value for money. I tried to cancel the hotel as well, and they told me there was a 18 day, 3 night cancellation policy and they could not waive it. I only booked this hotel less than a week in advance!

The rooms were large, but not very clean. The furniture was scratched everywhere, the minibar was empty, there was dust everywhere (you could see a layer of dust on the floor under the bed), there was mould in the shower, and the heater/AC was primitive and made tons of noise when turned on. Also the sheets were old, now somewhat grey, and well worn. I felt like I was sleeping in a hostel bed.

Speaking of noise, I asked for a quiet room and was put in a room that was facing the street. There was constant noise of cars and buses stopping and going from the 4 way stop outside and people on the street. Surprised they thought that was quiet.

In addition there were 'Ghost Tours' that happened nearly every night around 8pm in the hotel. This is 20-30 people walking through the hotel with devices that help them track ghosts. Interesting, but the hotel has to make money somehow.

The main lobby, lounge area is decent, but also very tacky and overloaded with furniture and Xmas decorations. I thought it was a nice area until I saw a mouse running past!!!! Yes, it's true. Again something to be said about the cleanliness, or lack of.

The breakfast was very basic and generally low quality. They do put out good cookies and tea in the afternoon for guests.

Generally, I would NOT recommend this place if you are looking for value for money or a nice hotel/B&B in San Francisco. With so many other places to stay, I think you best off choosing one of them.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank GlobetrotterGK

Thank you for staying the two additional nights (after 3 night ninimum) for which you were not obligated. We hope you will come back and stay with us again when the rates are not sky high due to convention supply and demand and see what you think. We truly aim to please in honoring guests requests and in providing safe, clean, and comfortable accommodations. We spoke with our montly Terminex service tecnician and he assures us not a creature is stirring, not even a mouse!