“A new respect for the B&B”

Washington Square Inn
Ranked #17 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
chicago,il
“A new respect for the B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

We've just returned from SanFrancisco to visit my sister for a few days and I must say that I have changed my idea of the B&B forever ! My husband and I stayed at the Washington Square Inn, in the heart of the North Beach area,perfect neighborhood-feel, with a park accross the street and a million restaurants within walking distance...the rooms are as beautiful as they looked on line and the staff is the nicest and most helpful that I have ever met. BUT the BEST thing about the Inn is that you have the choice of eating breakfast in the dinning area downstairs OR Philip will bring a tray to your room !!! Each night you fill out a breakfast-card with your choices and the time you would like to eat and where...I absolutely loved it...I cannot wait to go back...I will never stay anywhere else in San Francisco again !

• Liked — eating-in-your-room-option and the location
  • Disliked — I wish I would have had a bath bub instead of just a shower
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kathygreen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

Though I live in the city, my husband & I decided to stay at the Washington Square Inn while we had family visiting and staying at our home. I had heard a lot about the Inn, and so decided to give it a try. I am so glad we did. Everything was fabulous, The room was gorgeous, with views of St's Peter & Paul Church, Coit Tower and of course Washington Square Park. The breakfast was fresh and good, wine hour was fun. We got to meet a lot of interesting people. The staff was very attentive and freindly. They helped us with our bags, made dinner reservations for us and our visiting friends.We are so happy we took the chance to stay there. We would highly recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank artsytraveller
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

I've used tripadvisor for years, and have found the first-hand advice found here very helpful. I've stayed at so many wonderful places as a result! It's unfortunately a bad experience that has finally prompted me to register and post.

I did not stay at the Washington Square Inn, so my post only reflects the very negative interaction I encountered in making -- and canceling -- a reservation. (This might only the the result of one bad egg, so to speak.)

In the early stages of planning a trip to SF, and after reading the reviews here, I called to book a room directly with the hotel. (I had looked at availability on the website.) After making the reservation with the front desk, I received an email confirmation within minutes; I was surprised to see that the full room charge had already been charged to my credit card, but decided that it didn't warrant another call. But looking back, I realize that this was only the first thing I wasn't told.

Because my plans were not settled, and did indeed change a few days later, I sent and email to the hotel canceling, and received a response stating that they had refunded all but a $25 reservation fee. I was surprised (and upset) since I had received no warning of this when I called (I never would have booked so early in my planning). The emails from the "front desk" were officious and unfriendly, with the final email accusing me of lying about my knowledge of the policy.

There's no question that the policy was indeed stated in the reservation confirmation I received by email (but not on the phone). I had not read it carefully enough: the pertinent information came at the end of a long paragraph that on first glance seems only to state that reservations must be cancelled 3 days in advance (and in fact if they are able to rebook the room the penalty for late cancelation will only be $25). It was my mistake not to have read through to the end. However, the hotel's response to my questioning of the charge was so nasty that it made me wonder about the hospitality provided here! I had planned to rebook when my plans were settled, but I now feel like I dodged a bullet.

• Stayed March 2008
5 Thank BAHTU
washsquare, owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2008
We are responding to this because of the principle, not the 25.00 cancellation fee. We feel we should not have to change our policies when they are made clear, nor should we have to succumb to crediting back a fee that has been charged because of a threat of being given a bad review. No one was ever rude to this person. The correspondence was made by emails and we simply went over our policies, copying from our web site and what was sent to her on the confirmation letter.
We have many cases in which we have not charged someone in an event of personal or a serious emergency and we try to accommodate guests in special situations. But this was not the case with this reservation. She simply wanted to cancel and not have to pay the $25.00.
All our policies are clearly detailed in writing on our website, our reservation page and the confirmations sent out minutes after making a reservation. They are also outlined on the phone; though we realize when people are sometimes making reservations they often have too much on their minds to pay proper attention to this. That’s why we always send out the confirmations right away in writing. The policies are printed directly under the charges and are in BOLD, underlined print so they will be seen. They are NOT in fine print.
We are a small independently owned and operated inn. We are not affiliated with large hotel groups. When someone cancels – the room is not always able to be rebooked. This hurts a small property like us. We cannot absorb the credit cards fees for cancelled reservations as well.
Had she properly read her confirmation and given us a call to cancel within 24 hours, we could have voided out the deposit without a charge and we could have placed the room on hold until she was sure of the reservation, but she did not mention her uncertainty at the time, which meant we went ahead and charged her card, subjecting ourselves to fees from the credit card company. In cancelling her reservation; we again incur more fees from the credit card company. Most Inn’s (we are not talking about hotels & motels) across the country charge these fees, as well as airlines and now also many restaurants.
We go to great lengths to insure anyone looking to book a room here is aware of our cancellation and other policies as well. The last thing we want is to deceive our potential or returning guests. We have a SEVEN day cancellation policy (not a three – as she has stated) and we always take a one nights deposit on all individually booked rooms at the time of booking.
We care about our guests very much – not only the ones that come to visit us over and over again, but also the potential ones that we would like to have the chance to turn into a repeat.
All of our staff feels this way and go out of their way at times in order to fill a specific need, or just make someone feel comfortable and at home. The bottom line is we do need to enforce are policies to be able to stay in business in one of the most expensive cities in the country.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2008

In February 2008 my husband and I were given a gift certificate to the Washington Square Inn, San Francisco. It was one of the most surprisingly pleasurable experiences we have ever had in our travels. The room and bathroom was not only immaculate it was completely comfortable, filled with antique accent furniture and very quiet. Washington Square Park was just outside the door with a lovely Church and wonderful little restaurants and coffee shops in walking distance of the Inn. Each afternoon wine, cheese and delightful homemade cookies were served and could be enjoyed with other guests in front of a lovely fireplace. Tea and coffee were also available and the hotel staff were friendly, courteous and very helpful. We toured the city all day and loved coming back to our homey room for a rest and to relax a little and watch T.V. We then changed enjoyed our wine cheese and cookies and went out to some wonderful local restaurants suggested by owners of the Inn.
Probably our favorite part of the day was the delicious continental breakfast delivered to our room at the time requested. Breakfast can also be ordered to have at a beauitiful table in the lobby of the Inn with other guests. It was a treat in every sense of the word and we can't wait to go back!
Jeanette and James Gilhooly