“This quaint B&B was simply excellent”

Washington Square Inn
Ranked #21 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 June 2008

We stayed 3 nights at this B&B with another couple, for a weekend "getaway". My wife and I opted for the larger room 7 ("junior suite"), with a great sitting area and view of the park and cathedral. Our friends were in room 16, smaller, but very quiet and looking into a tiny courtyard. Both rooms were very comfortable and well-appointed. Everything we had read on the hotel website was accurate, and without exagerration.

All staff we encountered during our stay were unfailingly polite and helpful - really the best I've encountered in all my travels (although I usually stay in business hotels; if this level of service is typical of B&Bs, I'll need to keep this in mind).

We had breakfast at the large table in the lounge each morning, and afternoons at 5:30 wine and snacks are served. Both occasions were excellent opportunities to meet other guests and exchane tips on great sights and restaurants.

The location was superb, with an easy walk to Fisherman's Wharf, a couple blocks to Coit Tower, and a huge selection of great restaurants in the area.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lojoec

Reviewed 2 June 2008

I knew coming in that the rooms were small in this B & B. I was not prepared for the noise from the street. We stayed during the record heat and since we did not have air conditioning, we had to leave the window open. The noise was bad, especially in the morning. I was also disappointed in the breakfast. With the price of the B&B, I expected more than just cereal and oatmeal. They had no cooked breakfast and we stayed 4 nights. Ended going out one day for breakfast because I was sick of cereal! I also expected them to know our name since we did stay 4 nights, but never did get recognized. Also they want you to say when you are going to eat breakfast, and I hate to stick to a time schedule when I'm on vacation!
But the location was great, everything was easy walking distance from there. It was in the Italian section of town and the resturants were amazing around it!
I am a travel agent and I have to say that I would not recommend this B & B to my clients unless they specifically wanted in the North Beach section.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank GeorgiaTravelchick
washsquare, owners at Washington Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2008

We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us but are surprised that you being a travel agent, you would have done a bit more research ahead of time realizing this property was not what you desired. We have a lot of information on our website and we are available and can be reached at anytime. There is someone here 24/7 and happy to explain any questions you might have about the Inn. Our breakfast menu ( not just cereal); we have fresh baked items every day, fresh fruits, yogurts, bagels and lox (on weekends) and yes, cereals & homemade granolas, fresh juices etc. & most of our guests find this to be a preferable breakfast and for those who want something more- we have many neighborhood restaurants all around us that offer bacon and egg type breakfasts. As far as choosing a time for your breakfast – it is just a guide line for us. Some of our guests need to leave very early in the morning, so when we get in at 6:00am, we can look over all the cards and make sure we have everything ready for them when they want it. Also because our breakfast table only seats eight at a time, the more heads up we have beforehand the better we are at accommodating when people want to eat. We have never been strict with the time guests put on their cards; if they put down 7:00am, but don’t show up until 8:30 – we always accommodate them as best we can, and by having guests put down a time helps us accommodate them quicker and more efficiently. There are all types of bed and breakfasts- some do serve a full breakfast, especially country Inns, but for a busy city inn, our expanded continental works the best for the majority of our guests and for us. Along with providing breakfast, we also provide evening wine and hors d’oeuvres, both included in the price of your room. On our web site also mention that we have ceiling fans in all the rooms, not air conditioning. Unfortunately, your stay with us was during an unusual heat wave. Rarely do we get temperatures warmer than somewhere in the 70’s in San Francisco.
Some of our rooms are very small, typical of an older building such as ours, here in the city. Unfortunately like other older buildings; we have nowhere to expand to, and given that this is San Francisco, our rates are still considered a good value for the amenities and service we provide.

Reviewed 28 May 2008

The Washington Square Inn has a great location - and there are several wonderful restaurants nearby. But from the moment we arrived, the desk personnel were surly and unfriendly. And our room was tiny with a window directly on a busy street. So we won't be returning.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FlorenceSkankycat
washsquare, owners at Washington Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2008

We are truly disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us but are somewhat perplexed that one of our staff was not friendly and as you can see from the other reviews; we get many compliments on the friendliness of our staff. We are here seven days a week and have never witnessed any of our staff members not being friendly or offering to help our guests. As far as being disappointed with the room size and street noise, we do offer much larger rooms than the one you stayed in, we are an urban inn in the middle of a large city so we are not going to be as quiet as a country inn even though we are located on relatively quiet corner of North Beach, but still in the city.

Reviewed 24 May 2008

The Washington Square Inn in San Francisco was a great base for our week's stay in San Francisco. The location in North Beach is good for seeing the sights. The small, European style inn is very comfortable with a responsive staff. Morning breakfasts and afternoon wine and cheese were much appreciated. We would definitely recommend the Inn to travelers headed to the Bay area.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Retrievers
Reviewed 22 May 2008

My husband & I recently stayed at the WSI; we loved our room (#16) which an associate helped me choose although I actually booked it on the website. I called beforehand to ask which rooms would be quieter, inner courtyard facing rooms & were located on an upper level. Although rooms 7 & 8 have the gorgeous views, we were very pleased with our room. No opportunity to use the fireplace, but it would have been great in cooler weather. We were there right before the heatwave (5/10-5/13), but having the windows open & ceiling fan on provided good air circulation. The bed was super comfortable, flat screen TV could be viewed either from bed or from sitting area with table/chairs. The bathroom was great with a shower/bath combination & a panel type of shower massage spray.
We chose to have breakfast in the dining area 1 day & in our room 2 days & it was more than adequate. I was up VERY early due to east coast time & really enjoyed going down for coffee/tea & some early morning quiet time where I was able to meet the night shift person working the desk (hello to Jamal & Frederick!) & borrow a laptop to check my e-mail.
Evening time wine/appetizer time was really great to meet other travelers. We had some very nice conversations with Lynn & Guy from Louisiana & Doug & Vicki from London.
Other staff members were equally helpful & warm - Joti, & especially Shabir (? spelling) & Alexander. The owners, Dan & Maria, were really wonderful as well, & gave us a great dining recommendation, Ideale.
We stayed at 2 other locations on our visit to the SF/Carmel area & I have to say that overall, the staff at the WSI was the most warm & inviting we met; we will definitely return on subsequent visits & will highly recommend to family & friends (wish we were back there now!).

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank mouseRD
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My wife and I just stayed at the The Washington Square Inn (WSI) for our 20th anniversary. We enjoyed our stay in "The City" in spite of record high temps for the week.
The WSI staff was very helpful and friendly, and the Inn was well kept.
Our only disappointment was that the Inn's website does not make mention of the location of the rooms. Unbeknownst to us, we booked a room that was on the first floor (street level) with a window to the sidewalk. This was listed as a Superior room (room#1) with views of the park and cathedral.
It was however noisy because of being at street level, and next to the lobby. Also, because of the high temperatures (and no AC in the room), we had to keep the window open at night which didn't help with the noise (it was also noisy with the window closed-but less so). We did ask at check-in if another room was available, but were informed that they were fully booked.
So be aware of the room locations when booking, their website makes no mention of which floor they are on (hint: the "teen" numbered rooms are on the 2nd floor).

The continental breakfast was about a 7+ on a 10 scale.

We would stay again, but now know which rooms to choose.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coastalbg
washsquare, owner at Washington Square Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2008

We do apologize that you were not aware that room 1 is located on the lobby floor and thank you for informing us that this was not mentioned on our website. We have now added this to room 1 information and thank you for your review, it really does help us to have our guests inform us of details we might have overlooked. We are always striving to improve all aspects of our Inn and without our guests input this would not be as easily accomplished.

Reviewed 29 April 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights as a stopover on our way to New Zealand - because it was an American city we both wanted to visit.
The hotel is quaint, individual, and the service was second to none. The hotel room itself was a tinsey bit more shabby than I'd expected from the website, but my husband hadn't seen the website and was more than satisfied with it. The bed was the most comfortable of our 3 week trip!
In the evening, there is complimentary wine, cheese and biscuits. Breakfast-wise, you chose the night before from a printed list pushed under the bedroom door, and you chose whether to eat communally at the large table in the hall or it could be delivered to your room.
One of the guide books in the room recommended a day's itinerary that actually started in Washington Square, and we were so very pleased that we followed it. I will post this itinerary separately, but you are welcome to contact me.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ardent_traveller_7