“Excellent Stay”

White Swan Inn
Ranked #7 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 January 2014

More like a B&B! We enjoyed the decor thru out. Evening wine and appetizers were awesome. Breakfast and sitting area were very welcoming and a great place to mingle with other guest.

Bedroom had a fireplace and flat screen TV, Plenty of closet space and very roomy sitting area with nice and cozy bed. Complementary soda's, water and coffee in the room was a nice extra touch.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,767)

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I chose to stay at the White Swan on my return to the city for a variety of reasons. I had previously chosen your hotel while I attended a conference at the Ritz. At the time it seemed a bargain: rates half that of the Ritz, quiet rooms, easy walking distance, with fireplaces, great staff, breakfast and wine receptions, and dated but wonderfully-so features. I can’t overstress how memorable was my stay: I often dreamed of that bathroom—the fixtures, while dated and worn, actually worked, and what looked like “an old, worn-out bathroom” was, in fact, a bathroom complete with 1930s-era fixtures AND water pressure. Taking a shower reminded me of what it was like when I was a kid. I looked forward to the time I could return.

Unfortunately, my recent stay was not nearly as memorable:

1) while the room I got was lovely, on this stay I got one that overlooked Bush, which was a bit noisy even for this former Chicagoan.

2) the bath, while having that memorable water pressure I so enjoyed before (and I can’t stress how great that was, and was actually one of the key drivers in my return), now had a flow-restricting showerhead. Before, it was vintage, now, just tired. I understand about the present situation in California, but it was heart-breaking nonetheless.

3) the wifi access, quite simply, stunk. I’m now taking online classes, and I just did not have the bandwidth I needed to do any of my coursework (which really doesn’t require a lot, to be honest).

4) even my TV stunk. For some reason, ESPN kept clicking out every few seconds, which was extremely frustrating in the morning.

5) All this, for twice the cost of the last time I’d been there, near the same rate the conference had worked out at the Ritz.

I think I’m a pretty relaxed guest in general. I need very little: a clean bed, a warm shower, and (nowadays) a decent internet connection in a calm spot. I picked this hotel for my return specifically because I remembered it being a quiet place with surprisingly lovely facilities. But what I got was a clean bed (check), a flow-restricted shower, a noisy setting, and a lousy internet connection. With a bad TV. Of the four key elements, you failed on three, and didn’t even have the bonus of cable.

I regret to say I will likely not be returning. The one bright spot is your staff, which are almost all wonderfully personable people, but it’s just not enough to make up for poor physical plant.

3  Thank PDXpop
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I chose to stay to stay here and next door at the Petite for 7 straight months when I could have chosen any place in San Francisco.

Enough Said?

A chance to meet people from all over the world. My wife visited once and felt the same way.

Very good breakfast.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We loved the size and spaciousness of our room, especially liked the fireplace. Breakfast and evening wine and snacks were both excellent. Everyone on the staff was terrific. The bed was very comfortable too. Location is convenient to Union Square shopping and convention meetings. One constructive comment I would make is the bathroom could use some updating.

1  Thank PamL325
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Stayed in same room last year. Everything was exactly the same. Room looks really tired. Bed skirts had holes this year. However, room was clean. Faucets leaked. Tub needs to be resurfaced. Will not return next year. I stayed in larger room with 2 single beds. My roommate said the room looked like it was decorated by grannies.

2  Thank PATRICE Y
Rebecca L, General Manager at White Swan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear Patrice Y,
Thank you very much for your candid review of your recent stay at the White Swan Inn. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. I am glad to hear that you found the accommodations to be clean and greatly appreciate your comments about aspects of the room that need updating. It is a pleasure to announce that we will be implementing many of these upgrades to the property within the next couple months, including new mattresses, bed skirts, window treatments, carpeting, in-room accessories, and much more! In taking great care of our charming hotel, our main priority is to be able to offer a very well-maintained and comfortable atmosphere. I hope that I can convince you change your mind about another visit to the White Swan. Please reach out to me directly if you would be willing to give us a chance to turn your experience around. It would be such a pleasure to personally welcome you back to the new and improved White Swan Inn!

With much appreciation,
Rebecca

Reviewed 16 January 2014

When we checked into the hotel, we were greeted by hot cider and cookies in the lobby and each morning we started our day with a phenomenal breakfast spread. The wine and cheese receptions were a nice way to end our afternoons. We wanted to stay out of the tourist area, but within walking distance of restaurants, movie theaters, and other attractions, and the location of the inn fit that bill. The White Swan became our home away from home. The staff were very helpful in recommending restaurants and giving us directions. We enjoyed the feel of a small, Victorian hotel. The age of the hotel was part of its charm. The inn was just what we wanted.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The best spot for long or short stay in this beautiful city. Everything is walkable, or ride the cable car or bus to transport you to the destination of choice. Staff are more than helpful. Accommodations have an olde English flair with working fireplaces in each room. The trip from Portland OR was to see the David Hockney "The Bigger Exhibition" at the deYoung Museum and bask in some clear skies and sunshine. No disappointment.....no sad gravy!!! Thank you, Rebecca Levy, General Manager for all the chats and especially the smiles and laughs.

Room Tip: The room faced Bush Street and had three nice big windows for day light. If street noises are a conc...