“Stay marred by lost handbag”
Review of White Swan Inn

White Swan Inn
Ranked #8 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Perth, Australia
“Stay marred by lost handbag”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Whilst our room was charming there was a very unpleasant damp smell in corridor.
I unfortunately left my handbag on a chair at breakfast and was back in my room for 15 mins before realising. When I went back to the dining room it had gone and staff had not seen it. I went to reception and manager disinterested apart from taking my room no. After searching our room again my husband went down to the dining room but was told it had not been seen. He too spoke to reception and concurred that the manager was unhelpful. On a third visit a porter went to the dining room with us and both searched and asked staff. I also searched outside in the courtyard. Several other guests joined in the search.
On returning to our room we tried calling the mobile phone which we realised was in my handbag. On using this method in the dining room I located the bag in a bottom shelf of a desk outside the kitchen. This seemed very strange as someone had obviously put it there, and as guests would not go into that area it would likely be a staff member. This made us very suspicious and put a bad taste in our mouth.
I was so relieved to find the bag as it contained my passport and brand new iPhone. However I found staff both unconcerned and fairly unhelpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

As a solo traveller, the White Swan Inn was the perfect cosy comfort. The deluxe room I had was huge! I loved the fireplace and space. Everything was very clean. Complimentary bottles of water are provided, which was an added bonus and handy for a day out! Breakfast was delicious and generous. Wine hour was of particular enjoyment, being able to meet other guests, all of which were extremely friendly. The location is central to union square and Chinatown and not too far to Fisherman's Wharf. (1/2 walk) The room I had was street facing and a little noisy but no more then what I'd expect on a min street. It didn't stop me sleeping but may for others. (Ask for a rear room or earplugs provided)

The only issue I had was with my fireplace breaking and not being fixed during my stay despite notifying the front desk. This was not a deal breaker for me because I enjoyed the fire amongst the comfort of wine and other guests. However, it was a bit of a disappointment not to enjoy this in my room. When I checked out and informed them they were apologetic.

I would highly recommend staying here. I really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If sensitive to noise, request a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lizalang1
Aurora
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Really enjoyed our spacious room, especially the fireplace and comfortable bed. A bit noisy from the street, but we were provided with earplugs and they did the trick. Delicious breakfast and appetizers.

Ashland
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The room was clean and beautiful; bathroom worked great, sink, tub, shower, all great, plenty of hot water. Breakfast was EXCELLENT, and all the staff were so friendly, we thought maybe they were actors!

Scotia, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The inn is in a great location, has nice size rooms (many with a fireplace), a helpful and friendly staff and a decent wine service with nice snacks in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the breakfast service in the morning was a little sparse, the water for showering could have been hotter, and the car retrieval could have been quicker. Overall, though, we'd give them another try.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Montgomery
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We originally booked for Petite Auberge, but there was an over booking so we were asked to stay at the sister property, White Swan . The place was delightful! The ambiance, breakfast and amenities, along with the staff were just perfect. We would definitely stay there again. Room was nice size, there were complimentary sodas/water in the room, plenty of hot water for showering, and the wine hour and cookies were a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Love the old elevator, the antiques, the large well furnished rooms. Very warm and hospitable atmosphere. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Excellent value. Great location - close to Union Square.