“Solace in San Fran”

Ranked #8 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Orlando
“Solace in San Fran”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The White Swann Inn delivered a great experience for my wife and I. With staff always willing to help (and provide insightful information), we were able to get around quickly and efficiently while in San Fran. The rooms were great and clean...breakfast was delicious...and the location in the heart of SF was perfect. We walked everywhere, and when we couldn't, there were plenty of bus lines and the BART was a 10 min walk. HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Kamala, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

A charming little hotel in a great location for easy access to all San Francisco has to offer. Our room was large but cozy with a gas fire and cute flowery wallpaper. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and there are some great restaurants close by. Valet parking was very expensive though. Breakfast was also great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Small hotel centrally located close to Chinatown and cable cars provided easy access to local tourist attractions and restaurants. Hotel staff were very polite and knowledgeble of things to do and see in the city. Buffet breakfasts were fantastic and coffee and cookies available all day. At 5PM wine and snacks were served with a great way to meet fellow guests. Rooms very spacious and very clean with small bar fridge provided. We would highly recommend this hotel. Steve and Heather Canada.

Room Tip: We stayed a week on the 5th floor away from Bush Street which was very quiet and good for sleeping.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

The room was of a v good size and all the staff were there to help you with any question. Breakfast very good and the drinks at the end of the day enabled you to meet people and share stories and experiences.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Lititz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We chose the White Swan based on numerous TA reviews and it was really quite nice. This is an older hotel and very similar to some we have stayed in while traveling Europe. It even has the old manually operated elevator!! Everyone on the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Our room had recently been renovated and was very comfortable and the bed was wonderful. I would echo some sentiments from earlier reviewers that the morning breakfast buffet was a bit sparse later in the morning. For the evening wine and snacks there were 4 bottles of wine available and some nice cheeses and hors d'oeuvres. It was great visiting with other guests from various parts of the world. Everyone seemed to enjoy visiting and the wine disappeared pretty quickly. I would point out a couple of things that were inconvenient but not a problem. Parking is expensive ($34) and it takes a while to get your car, typically 30 minutes. There is no air conditioning and even though the SF evenings are cool, you will have to open your windows which does become a bit noisy. We were awakened around 2:00AM by a noisy crowd most likely from a nearby bar. The location is convenient and a short walk to the cable car and there are several decent restaurants within walking distance. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Whilst our room was charming there was a very unpleasant damp smell in corridor.
I unfortunately left my handbag on a chair at breakfast and was back in my room for 15 mins before realising. When I went back to the dining room it had gone and staff had not seen it. I went to reception and manager disinterested apart from taking my room no. After searching our room again my husband went down to the dining room but was told it had not been seen. He too spoke to reception and concurred that the manager was unhelpful. On a third visit a porter went to the dining room with us and both searched and asked staff. I also searched outside in the courtyard. Several other guests joined in the search.
On returning to our room we tried calling the mobile phone which we realised was in my handbag. On using this method in the dining room I located the bag in a bottom shelf of a desk outside the kitchen. This seemed very strange as someone had obviously put it there, and as guests would not go into that area it would likely be a staff member. This made us very suspicious and put a bad taste in our mouth.
I was so relieved to find the bag as it contained my passport and brand new iPhone. However I found staff both unconcerned and fairly unhelpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

As a solo traveller, the White Swan Inn was the perfect cosy comfort. The deluxe room I had was huge! I loved the fireplace and space. Everything was very clean. Complimentary bottles of water are provided, which was an added bonus and handy for a day out! Breakfast was delicious and generous. Wine hour was of particular enjoyment, being able to meet other guests, all of which were extremely friendly. The location is central to union square and Chinatown and not too far to Fisherman's Wharf. (1/2 walk) The room I had was street facing and a little noisy but no more then what I'd expect on a min street. It didn't stop me sleeping but may for others. (Ask for a rear room or earplugs provided)

The only issue I had was with my fireplace breaking and not being fixed during my stay despite notifying the front desk. This was not a deal breaker for me because I enjoyed the fire amongst the comfort of wine and other guests. However, it was a bit of a disappointment not to enjoy this in my room. When I checked out and informed them they were apologetic.

I would highly recommend staying here. I really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: If sensitive to noise, request a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo