“A home in San Francisco”

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #9 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A home in San Francisco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I just returned from a perfect week in San Francisco. I was so happy staying at Willows from the moment I registered with Mark and he showed me around until Mike arranged for my ride to the airport and signed me out. JoJo knew I was an early riser and made sure to have the coffee ready extra early. Jesse was quitely there in the shadows. The staff encouraged me to feel at home and I did. There were opportunities to meet other very nice guests during breakfast and the evening cocktail hour. Great way to relax before an evening out. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. There are plenty of separate toilets and showers, so it was never a problem finding one available. A nice thick bathrobe was provided to make it easy to get around. The location was so great. There were lots of nice restaurants, a bakery, and laundries all within a block or two. Across the street is a major streetcar stop and subway station. A walk to Castro was maybe 10 minutes. It was the most perfect place for me to base my stay. It became the neighborhood I would most want to live in San Francisco if I lived in San Francisco. My room was charming. It was helpful having the sink with good lighting. I felt very at home in my new city thanks to The Willows. I only wish I had selected a back room. My room faced the street with a nice view, but it was too hot during a couple of unseasonably warm days and the noise from the streetcars bothered me. Luckily, they stopped at 12:30am. Next time I'll ask for a room in the back.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I reserved a front room with a charming bay window and view. Unfortunately, it can g...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gkny10011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Recently stayed for 4 nights with my friend. This is a very nice bnb located in the heart of the Castro. The building is typical of its era and retains the charm and quaintness that the area is known for. We stayed in the upper level in their smallest room which was not a problem. As most bnbs in the area the bathrooms are located in the hall. Not my preference but not a big impact on the experience. The rooms are very clean and all towels etc are replaced daily. The breakfast was fine but the meal area is very small. The location is awesome with the trams located right outside. The evening guest get togethers are great and the hosts offering a nice drink and nibbles. Very nice touch.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem fine. Would recommend a first level room just to avoid the steep stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darren M
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here this past Saturday and Sunday and simply loved it. It was a great price for a great location. We were most impressed by the breakfast spread. Nothing out of the ordinary, but exactly what you needed/wanted. Also, they had Soy Milk for the coffee which is always a plus.

Will be staying here every time I go to San Fran.

Altoona, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My travel buddy and I stayed at here for two weeks. This jewel of a Bed-n-Breakfast is perfectly located for anyone that wants to explore the city, less than a block away from major public transportation. The staff is fantastic, going above and beyond in taking care of our needs from check in to check out. Due to the length of our stay, we were required to change rooms twice. Mike, Mark, JoJo, and Jesse, however, made sure that our moves were quick and easy. The rooms and all of the common areas were spotlessly clean and there always seemed to be a fresh breeze flowing through the hallways and stairways. The 'continental' breakfasts were more than adequate with a variety of breads, spreads, cerials, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, and juices. The afternoon cocktail social provided an excellent opportunity to mingle with the other guests as well as a nice break between the days activities and getting ready our evenings out. The staff is a wealth of information on the area and were able to give advise and directions to most ever place we asked about. I would not only stay at The Willows on future trips, but I highly recommend it as a home away from home.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quiet but have weak WiFi. However routers are available
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Richard W
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The place is simple and clean. Shared bathroom and restroom . Weak Wifi access in the room. Refrigerator . No hair dryer ; no air conditioner . The place provides guests with bathrobes. It is within easy walking distance from grocery store and coffee place.

1 Thank Malwina5
Rochechouart, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

They really were - perfect, that is. Hauling my heavy suitcase up the stairs, being genial and friendly at the evening drinks hour, giving me endless directions and recommendations. I loved staying here, was in a room away from the street and no noise at all, slept very well.
First time in San Francisco from the UK and was a wee bit dazed when I arrived, but felt immediately at home. Excellent transport options just outside and a good choice of restaurants really close by.
Breakfast was brilliant, so much choice and all healthy too. And you could pop along to the kitchen/breakfast room at any time for a drink and a snack.
All very clean and never had to wait for a loo or shower, although it was August and pretty busy.
Would definitely return there if I were in SF again - so much nicer than the boring city centre options.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the road after reading reviews on here and slept perfectly - no noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Ittre, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

It's hard to think of anything original to say. We stayed at the back of the inn for a week (room 36) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mike and JoJo couldn't have been more helpful. Everything was spotlessly clean. Never any issue with the shared facilities. Varied breakfast available from about 7:30 until 11:00. Tea, juice and light snacks in the kitchen any time, day or night. The room was spacious and sensibly designed and furnished - lots of room for storing "stuff". Fridge in the room. The t.v. was old but had multiple channels and was adequate: anyway who wants to watch t.v. when visiting San Fran.! We can confirm that the extractor fan from the Jasmine Garden was noisy and did keep running until the wee hours of the morning. We soon got used to it. Perhaps the shower heads could be upgraded to get a better and more efficient flow of water but it was certainly adequate. Would we stay again? Absolutely!

1 Thank David B