“Central location, clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn

The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #9 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
California City, California
“Central location, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My friend and I only stayed one night at The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn,we were meeting out of town guest for dinner at R and G Lounge located in China Town, (Excellent family style Chinese food). Upon arriving we were unable to find parking on the street, no worries though because we had requested parking. At $15.00 per night, it's a real bargain. I lived in S.F. for 8 years and my friend is a S.F. Native. We are in our fifty's now and had no desire to search the neighborhood for parking.

Long story short, I will say we enjoyed our stay. We wanted to try something other than a traditional hotel stay. I give The Willows a four dot rating of "Very Good" because the water closets, and showers were well maintained and clean. The rooms were also clean, the sink inside your room is a wonderful amenity. The small in room refrigerator is convenient, especially with Safeway located on the opposite corner. The kitchen on the top floor where breakfast is served was clean. The offerings for breakfast were plentiful and great for starting your day.

We stayed in room 32, which is on the top floor facing the street. Although the room was very clean, the street odor was noticeably coming through the front windows. We were not afraid of the street noise, we actually welcomed it. But the stench from the street was not welcomed at all. Thankfully, it either rained or it was low fog that night that helped wash away some of the stench. Perhaps washing down the side walk in front of the property would help this issue in the future. ( I know the Inn has little control over what happens on the street, due to the large homeless population in S.F.) This is just a suggestion.

Lastly I am not a morning person, therefore, I don't expect anyone to be overly chipper in the morning. However, I do believe in being courteous. I believe in returning a good morning or greeting someone with an appropriate salutation, whether it be a guest or staff. I believe that staff should endeavor to do the same. I don't want to mention names...everyone has an off day. Just mentioning it as a heads up for staff. Other than the issues mentioned above, I would definitely recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by the smells and sounds of S.F. a street facing room will not be for you!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights in June. The Willows is conveniently located around the corner from the Church MUNI station and the Market St streetcars that take you downtown. The place is very clean and well maintained. The fridge has a supply of juices and yogurt and the breakfast was very good for a continental breakfast although the space is a little cramped. If you sleep with the windows open you'll no doubt here fire sirens and ppl on the streets so bring earplugs. I never had to wait for a shower/toilet. Having a sink basin in the room is very handy. I stayed in the smallest room which was small but more than fine for one person. I interacted with Mark mostly and he was very friendly. I highly recommend the Willows and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. The Inn is very clean and tidy with lovely breakfast. The streetcar is just across the street to get into the city for $2. Lots of nice eating places around. A very safe area. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The Suite is great and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jo-Anne L
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great location - walking distance to the Castro (if you don't mind the undulating terrain of San Francisco!) and the MUNI station is just around the corner from the hotel. The staff were friendly, breakfast was lovely and my room was clean and well maintained. Despite the shared bathroom thing I didn't have to wait at all to use the shower in the morning. Very nice all round.

The only criticism I have (and this is perhaps a criticism of San Francisco in general, not just The Willows) is beware any hidden charges! Everywhere I went and bought something or paid for a service in SF, I was charged for some hidden extra without being told about it first, and the Willows was no exception to this. On my bill, a $45 charge for parking had been added, despite this never being mentioned on the website, on my booking, or when I had a conversation with the inn keeper about parking at the hotel. I don't think it's an unreasonable price for 3 days' parking, don't get me wrong, but not being told really annoyed me, especially after 3 days of this happening everywhere I went.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Adele H
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived late and the room is readily available for us. It's cosy and clean. The breakfast spread is the same every morning but it's good enough to fill the stomach. It's very quiet throughout our 2 nights stay though we understood that all rooms in the inn was actually occupied. There's no problem with sharing the common bath and toilet. There's a supermart nearby and a nice burger fast food outlet. There's a Vietnamese Pho restaurant just below the inn. The subway metro is just a few steps away. Will stay here again if we even wanted to be at ard Castro area.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alex C
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were stuck in San Francisco on Saturday 12/7 so at the last minute we booked the Willows Inn. We were first impressed with the accommodating and friendly last minute reservation we made. They actually were concerned that we were stuck in San Fran and were glad to have a room ready within the hour.

Upon arrival we were quickly greeted and taken to our room. He then showed us around the Inn pointing out where breakfast would be at and where the social hour would take place. Everything was very clean and well taken care of.

Our room was at the front of the Inn overlooking Market Street. We had a queen size bed, dresser, antique closet refrigerator, sink, and a small table with two chars. While the room looked old it was very clean and nice. A personal note with our names was on the night stand which was a very nice touch.

You have 2 Water Closets on each floor (Water closet is the toilet). And you have 2 shower rooms on each floor as well. The toilets and showers are shared with a sink in each bedroom. They provide nice robes for each room.

The location is excellent right on the MUNI line, and several grocery stores and resultants within just a few blocks.

Even our invoice that was left under the door had our names and thanked us for the business.
We talked to several staff members who were always friendly and welcoming. I felt like this was my own home and everyone was great to be around. We can’t wait to stay at the Willows Inn when we come back to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MJRLdal
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Willows B&B is located in the Castro neighborhood. If you are unfamiliar with SF, this is primary residential. The 101 "Central Freeway" terminates just around the corner so getting there and outa there is easy. This is a top-notch B&B, so if you frequent them, you know what that means. Baths/Showers are located centrally on each floor and are very clean and secure. In general rooms have running water, refrigerator, TV/VCR, phones, radio/alarm clock, desk, chair, roomy closet space, bureau, adequate electrical outlets, and extra blankets etc.
Good: on Mission street, public transportation, Safeway, Trader Joes, Starbucks, all kinds of shopping, food (groceries or take out), alcohol, all necessities in a block or so from the door.
Not so Great: Unfortunatelybar below on the street-side (don't take a room on street-side), no secure feeling taking a strool in the neighborhood in the evening, must book well in advance (month is a good idea), park on the street is OK but otherwise you pay $15/night and that is good in SF but still no easy parking for a residential neighborhood
Great: Healthy breakfast and plenty of it!, great hosts and not pretentious, walking distance to nice parks (20 minutes away from two) Corona Heights with one incredible panoramic view (watch out for dog poop), and Buena Vista has great trails for a flat ground run, and if you want to experience Haight/Ashbury, it is still there, but not what you would have seen in the 60's or 70's and Ben&Jerry's and others kinda made it seem a bit commercial (probably just not what we expected as naiive, nostalgic travellers.)
My wife and I are straight, but that did not make a difference. If you are phobic, you really don't deserve all SF has and it is one of the great cities of the world, and we have been travelling a lot.

Room Tip: Stay back from the street side, young people frequent the bar below and have hearing problems. All o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple