“Great hidden gem...”

Ranked #9 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great hidden gem...”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Relocated to this B&B after hotel I was staying in Oakland overbooked and didn't have opening. Great location, JoJo and Mike are awesome hosts, clean, fun, fresh, convenient. Most definitely will return again for longer stay next time around!

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in May, and we found it the perfect base for a short trip to San Francisco. We were arriving really late, so I'd emailed with Mike in advance and he gave me very detailed instructions on how to access the Inn, our room, and where to park (the Inn has limited parking spaces that must be pre-booked, but if you are passing through and you do need a place to park, the parking lot is very conveniently located).

After driving for a full day prior to arriving in San Francisco, we were super tired, and thus very grateful for the buffet-style breakfast that was available until the late morning.

I've never stayed in a B&B with a shared bathroom before, so I was a little worried that it would be awkward, but any worries I had were quickly eased - on our floor were two toilet rooms and two showers, all with private locks. We were only there for a short amount of time but neither my husband or I had any instance where we couldn't use the facilities because someone else was in there. We also had a sink in our room, which was helpful for night-time teeth brushing without having to venture into the hallway in pyjamas.

The decor was pretty old-fashioned and the bed wasn't super comfortable, which is why I'm giving The Willows Inn 4 stars instead of 5, but I shopped around a LOT before booking this place, and found it very difficult to find anything else that wasn't $200+ per night. So overall we were very pleased with The Willows Inn and would definitely recommend it as a budget accommodation in a vibrant location of the city - perfect for exploring!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joey M
California City, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My friend and I only stayed one night at The Willows Bed and Breakfast Inn,we were meeting out of town guest for dinner at R and G Lounge located in China Town, (Excellent family style Chinese food). Upon arriving we were unable to find parking on the street, no worries though because we had requested parking. At $15.00 per night, it's a real bargain. I lived in S.F. for 8 years and my friend is a S.F. Native. We are in our fifty's now and had no desire to search the neighborhood for parking.

Long story short, I will say we enjoyed our stay. We wanted to try something other than a traditional hotel stay. I give The Willows a four dot rating of "Very Good" because the water closets, and showers were well maintained and clean. The rooms were also clean, the sink inside your room is a wonderful amenity. The small in room refrigerator is convenient, especially with Safeway located on the opposite corner. The kitchen on the top floor where breakfast is served was clean. The offerings for breakfast were plentiful and great for starting your day.

We stayed in room 32, which is on the top floor facing the street. Although the room was very clean, the street odor was noticeably coming through the front windows. We were not afraid of the street noise, we actually welcomed it. But the stench from the street was not welcomed at all. Thankfully, it either rained or it was low fog that night that helped wash away some of the stench. Perhaps washing down the side walk in front of the property would help this issue in the future. ( I know the Inn has little control over what happens on the street, due to the large homeless population in S.F.) This is just a suggestion.

Lastly I am not a morning person, therefore, I don't expect anyone to be overly chipper in the morning. However, I do believe in being courteous. I believe in returning a good morning or greeting someone with an appropriate salutation, whether it be a guest or staff. I believe that staff should endeavor to do the same. I don't want to mention names...everyone has an off day. Just mentioning it as a heads up for staff. Other than the issues mentioned above, I would definitely recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by the smells and sounds of S.F. a street facing room will not be for you!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed there for 3 nights in June. The Willows is conveniently located around the corner from the Church MUNI station and the Market St streetcars that take you downtown. The place is very clean and well maintained. The fridge has a supply of juices and yogurt and the breakfast was very good for a continental breakfast although the space is a little cramped. If you sleep with the windows open you'll no doubt here fire sirens and ppl on the streets so bring earplugs. I never had to wait for a shower/toilet. Having a sink basin in the room is very handy. I stayed in the smallest room which was small but more than fine for one person. I interacted with Mark mostly and he was very friendly. I highly recommend the Willows and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. The Inn is very clean and tidy with lovely breakfast. The streetcar is just across the street to get into the city for $2. Lots of nice eating places around. A very safe area. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The Suite is great and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jo-Anne L
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great location - walking distance to the Castro (if you don't mind the undulating terrain of San Francisco!) and the MUNI station is just around the corner from the hotel. The staff were friendly, breakfast was lovely and my room was clean and well maintained. Despite the shared bathroom thing I didn't have to wait at all to use the shower in the morning. Very nice all round.

The only criticism I have (and this is perhaps a criticism of San Francisco in general, not just The Willows) is beware any hidden charges! Everywhere I went and bought something or paid for a service in SF, I was charged for some hidden extra without being told about it first, and the Willows was no exception to this. On my bill, a $45 charge for parking had been added, despite this never being mentioned on the website, on my booking, or when I had a conversation with the inn keeper about parking at the hotel. I don't think it's an unreasonable price for 3 days' parking, don't get me wrong, but not being told really annoyed me, especially after 3 days of this happening everywhere I went.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Adele H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived late and the room is readily available for us. It's cosy and clean. The breakfast spread is the same every morning but it's good enough to fill the stomach. It's very quiet throughout our 2 nights stay though we understood that all rooms in the inn was actually occupied. There's no problem with sharing the common bath and toilet. There's a supermart nearby and a nice burger fast food outlet. There's a Vietnamese Pho restaurant just below the inn. The subway metro is just a few steps away. Will stay here again if we even wanted to be at ard Castro area.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends