“Great value”
Review of Music City Hotel

Music City Hotel
Ranked #116 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Central location, clean rooms and great price. Sure the management was a little stoned and bathrooms are shared, but the ambiance was really fun, and the price was very reasonable. One of the best parts was the fact that there are practice spaces for bands underneath the rooms and an extremely random French library and art gallery next door. Union square is an easy 10 minute walk away. The wifi was good, reasonably fast. One annoying thing was that even though we had scheduled check in for 12:00 midday, the rooms weren’t cleaned and ready for us until around 1:30. They held our baggage for us, but it was still a little awkward to be waiting around the place for our room, so we went food shopping. There is a whole foods basically around the corner. The hotel also allows guests access to a computer, which helped when the ipad we were travelling with broke. The room had only one bed, but it was pretty comfortable, and the area wasn’t too loud. Basically this is a great bang for your buck, especially if you are young, travelling with friends, and plan on spending a large percentage of your time semi-sloshed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shona A

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The rooms were clean, the staff were helpful. There is a water cooler and apples set out for guests to help themselves. And wifi! The only thing I didn't like was that there was no common lounge area. If you want to meet new people while traveling this may not be the best option.

Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Sarapool
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Booked through hostelworld.com, we paid a deposit and was told to pay in the remainder in local currency upon arrival and that check in was at 13:00. When we arrived at 13:00 we were told that check in was at 14:00 and that payment had to be made on a credit card if not we couldn't stay, that soon got changed when we advised them we didn't bring any credit cards with us and that we wouldn't be staying then it was a case of a $250 deposit, they were absolutely no help and after 36 hours traveling on you want to do is crash, I will update if we eventually stay

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed here in January with 3 other friends. We had our own bathroom and kitchen. The room came with two double beds and a TV. It was old and a little run down but it was clean and right in the heart of the city. I had no major problems with the hotel, the only downside is that there is no elevator. So bringing up a very heavy bag up a few flights of stairs was exhausting (the stair case was incredibly narrow).

Room Tip: Get a private room! You do not want to share a bathroom!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We only stayed here one night and didnt have any issues but it wasn't a memorable hotel out of the many places we stayed on this trip. We had to lug our cases up two flights of stairs (which is not mentioned on their website) and found the staff not overly friendly. The room was accommodating for what we needed (practically just a place to rest our heads) and location was okay but didn't feel the safest walking back around 9pm at night. only recommend if you are on a budget.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed in the Encore Express for one week in May 2013. The hotel was clean, the bed was confortable, the staff was courteous, and my room was cleaned daily. My room was small but adequate. My room had a closet, a sink and a TV. Clean restrooms (some with showers) were in the hall nearby. I had no difficulty finding a vacant restroom whenever I needed one.

All rooms are on the second and third floors. As I had an inside room, I did not hear any street noise. However, each evening, from about 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., loud music from a commercial band practice room on the ground floor filled the hallways and my room, which was on the second floor. During the weekend, there was not much music, but on weekdays the music was constant.

The third floor may be quieter. However, no rooms were available on that floor, even though I had requested a third floor room when I made my reservations a month earlier.

This is a nice hotel located near several bus routes, but bring earplugs if your room is on the second floor and you plan to be in the hotel before 11:00 p.m. on weekdays.

When making reservations, ask for an inside room on the top floor that is not adjacent to a rest room. Phone the hotel to assure that you will have such a room before it is too late to cancel your reservation.

Room Tip: Inside rooms on the top floor that are not adjacent to a restroom are quietest. You will hear consta...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Occasional_traveler1
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I have read many reviews of different hotels including this one. Finally, I chose to stay here during my visitting SF. I can't say this place can beat the 4-5 stars hotels, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money just to get a place to sleep at night, then this is the one. Also, this place is very good for any single traveller because you can mingle with other roommate, and you might find a good partner for your trip at SF. Not but not least, the location is wonderful. Just 4-5 blocks away from Japan Town and Union Square.
However, the cons of this place are:
- no elevator
- the restroom is kinda smelly, and sometime the toilet is stuck. ( that's horrible experience for me after just waking up)
- parking is a big problem!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo