Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast
US$195
US$155
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$298
US$215
  • Room Service
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
US$243
US$195
ComfortInn
  • Breakfast included
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$222
  • Restaurant
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$273
US$251
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$397
US$261
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$296
Travelocity
US$454
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsalamo squarepainted ladiesb benrico carusowine and cheeseother guestsbasement suitesteiner streetprivate entrancebeautiful antiquesvictorian mansionthere is free wi fisliding bathroom doorclipper cardevery afternoonclaw foot tubthird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in the Jack London room for 3 nights by myself with a bathroom that I shared with one other room. The room was very clean, no funky smells of any kind which I was frankly surprised about for such an old property. It's quaint with a wonderful genuine San Francisco feel. Loved the wooden floors and the rugs - the fact that it's painted white was a bonus for me too. The outlook is to trees and beautiful houses. I never made it to breakfast due to jetlag but I was impressed with the speedy wifi and the offer of free cheese and wine in the afternoon. The Jack London is on the top floor but I found it well worth the hike up the stairs with the luggage. It was at the end of the corridor and I heard no other guests at all. In the morning, I had a fan going in the tower area which blocked out the traffic noise and blew some coolness into the bedroom area. I didn't even notice that there was no TV until the 3rd day.
The shared bathroom was neat and I never bumped into the other guests that I was sharing it with.
I would definitely come back. Great value for money, friendly staff. Loved every moment in that light filled tower!

Room Tip: Top floor = more light in the rooms. Worth the hike up the stairs
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank gavagai18
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in ChateauTivoli last week for one night. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The décor is definitely posh and stuffed with antiques from various eras. We stayed in the Langtry Suite which was spacious and conveniently accessible from the street. I highly recommend this suite if you want easy in/out access for luggage without stairs. It is on the first floor corner however and there is some street noise.

All in all we were very pleased with our experience. Other reviewers have described the place as "shabby chic" and we would agree. We'd advise the owners to be careful about the "shabby" part however and maybe make some investments in some refresh of paint and carpets.

We would recommend Chatau Tivoli to any traveler who prefers the bed and breakfast accommodations to a standard hotel. It's a good and enjoyable value.

Room Tip: See main review. Some rooms are up multiple stairs. 1st floor corner room is very convenient but street noise can be a bit high.
1  Thank ZihuaMitch
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The genuine article, painted better than the group of painted ladies up the hill at Alamo square. Fantastic refurbishment to true Victorian standards of elegance. Breakfast that is very good, sociable and sets you up for the day (until the cheese and wine, early evening to soak up the atmosphere in the drawing room). Just remember Victorians didn't have teas mades or televisions so if you want modern this may not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Isadora Duncan room was great even with private bathroom across the hall, Large bay window and very high and highly decorative ceiling.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very nice room (Mark Twain Suite) and location and the staff was very friendly. Meredith and Nick were helpful with dining suggestions and reservations as well as an impromptu breakfast in bed because of a large breakfast crowd during the America's Cup. Very nice B&B in a great city.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed in the Tetrazzini Suite. The staff is very nice and helpful with getting settled and giving assistance on tourist sites, restaurants, and public transportation. The bathroom was clean. On the other hand, the suite had many issues where items were not maintained. The wood furniture had broken pieces, the carpeting did not lay flat, some of the windows did not open, nor the one to the fire escape which was so heavy it would have been impossible to hold open while trying to get out. Also, much of the upholstery did not appear clean and many of the springs in the seating pieces were broken. The heavy brocade canopy, over the bed, was torn and unsightly, with stuffing exposed from the quilting. From the good reviews it seemed the upkeep on the antiques would have been expected. But on these points we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ChicoNan
Joshua L, Manager at Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear ChicoNan,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We always appreciate hearing about our guests’ experiences, especially when it doesn’t meet their expectations.

We just performed a re-evaluation of the Luisa Tetrazzini Suite. Although the fire escape window does open, we are investigating options to make it open more easily. We are also evaluating changing the carpeting and maintenance options for the furnishings.

If you would be so kind as to contact us directly at (415) 776-5462 or mail@chateautivoli.com, we would love the opportunity to speak with you directly about your stay. We hope to see you again, and we appreciate your feedback,

Best regards,