“Great historicity, location, value, and innkeeper!”

Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
St. Louis, MO
“Great historicity, location, value, and innkeeper!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Because our youngest son was with us for two of our three night stay at Chateau Tivoli, we chose the Lola Montez "basement economy suite." It was a superb choice: The suite was spacious, comfortable, and quite affordable. Because of its private entrance, the basement suite was well-suited for our bicycles, our primary means of travel while in "The Cool Gray City of Love." My sole criticism of the "basement economy suite" is that the lovely original woodwork could use a fresh coat of paint!

Meredith, the innkeeper, is the very model of professionalism, competence, and friendliness. She also prepares and serves outstanding breakfasts (the recent review complaining about the quality of the weekday breakfast leaves me baffled!).

Chateau Tivoli's location was ideal for our two-wheeled exploration of the remarkable neighborhoods and architecture in what is surely one of the two or three most iconic of all American cities--a place quite easy "to leave your heart in" and one to which we hope to return again in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Harold K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I spent three nights here in February and base my high rating on the ideal location and history of the property. I found it convenient for walking and taking the bus to get to good restaurants and tourist sites. It is quite close to Golden Gate Park. The wine hour is a saving grace with opportunity to meet people and try various CA wines.
The house is advertised as "opulent" but that is an overstatement. I noticed a smell on the first floor and some of the furnishings are begging for repair and refreshing. The lighting is very poor. Most disappointing for me was the lackluster breakfasts...with fantastic bakeries in the immediate neighborhood, we got grocery store bread, bagels and croissants! There was some touting of how great the cooked champagne breakfasts are in the weekends but if you are not going to be there it does you no favor to hear about it! Staff were nice - and helpful within their limits. For example, I could not receive outside phone calls in my room because apparently there was no way to transfer the calls.
Overall impression is that it it is a property that is "coasting" - getting by with a rehab of 20 +yrs ago - probably putting all money into maintaining plumbing, etc.

Room Tip: I stayed in a shared bath (cheaper) room on third floor. All rooms that I saw are quite large and a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancerina
ChateauTivoliManager, Manager at Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Nancerina,

We appreciate your thoughtful and detailed review. One of the best parts of being a small business is hearing directly from our well-traveled guests. We have already adjusted our lighting and are carefully reviewing your other suggestions.

We hope to see you again,

Best regards,
Meredith, Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I spent four nights here last week and, from the champagne breakfast to the wine & cheese happy hour it exceeded our wildest expectations. The hosts and guests couldn't have been nicer. The neighbourhood is charming (take the walking tour) and convenient to where you want to be by prompt taxi service. If a "painted lady" is your cup of tea this place is a must.

Room Tip: The Jack London room was good enough for us, shared bath and all.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
gold coast, australia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband, 8 year old son and I spent 3 nights here, in the Isadora Duncan room. Such character, so glad we stayed here and not in a hotel. We loved everything about it. We enjoyed chatting to fellow travellers around the dining table at breakfast and in the afternoon when wine and cheese was served in the parlour. The hospitality was very generous, we were made to feel so welcome as soon as we arrived. We wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
seattle
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I loved this place. An incredible Victorian in a neighborhood full of them. Don't stop at Alamo Square and the Painted Ladies, but keep walking and you will find yourself in the splendor of typical San Francisco right outside the Tivoli's door.

I've stayed here twice now, both times in the Jack London room, at the top of the turret, sharing a bathroom, which presented no problems whatsoever. I joined the wine and cheese hour from 4-6 everyday after walking everywhere, and enjoyed a fine breakfast every morning to get started. You're three miles from downtown, 4 from the Pacific Ocean; you can walk to either and see so much along the way, or take one of three buses that stop within blocks of the Tivoli. The Divisadero/Fillmore neighborhood is complete with great restaurants and cafes, people to meet and places to see.

And don't forget to have a wonderful conversation with the staff! She is so nice to talk to and has much information to share....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seattlecaroline
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The place is very quirky and not like any of the main stream hotels ... We needed a 2 bedroom suite and the basement room was ideal. It even has its own entrance ... Only found that out after we had struggled with cases up stairs through the dinning room and kitchen then down the narrowest flight of stairs in the world. The room was also cold in the night.
The only disappointing fact was that a group of very noisy guests in the other basement room decided to have a party with other hotel guests... Which went on to the early morning ... No management on site so could not complain at the time.
Food really good and staff very helpful ... No need for a car as the transport links were excellent and very cheap.
Yes i would stay again

Room Tip: Our basement room has its own bathroom and entrance ... A real advantage
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nic-bentley
ChateauTivoliManager, Manager at Chateau Tivoli Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Nic_bentley,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Since our reception office closes in the evening, as you mentioned, we encourage all guests to call the manager at the mobile number provided at check-in with any concerns. The manager is within walking distance, and will gladly resolve any nighttime issues. Our guests' comfort - at any hour of their stay - is our top priority.

If you stay with us again, I would love the chance to speak with you directly. Thank you again for your review, and we wish you Happy Holidays,

Best regards,
Meredith, Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in the Jack London room for 3 nights by myself with a bathroom that I shared with one other room. The room was very clean, no funky smells of any kind which I was frankly surprised about for such an old property. It's quaint with a wonderful genuine San Francisco feel. Loved the wooden floors and the rugs - the fact that it's painted white was a bonus for me too. The outlook is to trees and beautiful houses. I never made it to breakfast due to jetlag but I was impressed with the speedy wifi and the offer of free cheese and wine in the afternoon. The Jack London is on the top floor but I found it well worth the hike up the stairs with the luggage. It was at the end of the corridor and I heard no other guests at all. In the morning, I had a fan going in the tower area which blocked out the traffic noise and blew some coolness into the bedroom area. I didn't even notice that there was no TV until the 3rd day.
The shared bathroom was neat and I never bumped into the other guests that I was sharing it with.
I would definitely come back. Great value for money, friendly staff. Loved every moment in that light filled tower!

Room Tip: Top floor = more light in the rooms. Worth the hike up the stairs
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo