“Delightful Hotel”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I visited SanFran a few weeks ago for the first time. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The decor is beautiful, the beds were firm and comfortable, the bathroom was especially nice -- large soaking tub (with shower) and another separate shower area. The price was very reasonable (compared to many "main stream" hotels in SanFran). We were very happy!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear Maggie T,

It was great to read how happy you and your husband were at the Hotel Kabuki. It's really nice to know that your experience was exactly what we strive for. From the decor to the Japanese soaking tubs, we try to create an unique experience for all our guests. We hope to see you again soon. Until then, I am at your service.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is really the perfect stay in SF Japantown. Lovely and modern Japanese-style rooms. Very clean. Friendly and helpful staff. Great location near restaurants, Japanese mall, and movie theater.

My only issue, and it is minor, was that the pricey breakfast buffet was only so-so (and not Japanese!). Although I should note the room service had some delicious-looking Japanese selections.

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear scottobot,

Thank you for sharing about your perfect stay at our hotel. I am happy to read that the staff was friendly, the rooms were lovely, and the location was great. I am sorry about the breakfast not meeting your expectations. I am suprised that the server did not mention our Japanese bento box breakfast with broiled salmon and miso soup; it really compliments the Hotel Kabuki experience. When you return, please contact me, and I will make sure to show you our Japanese breakfast.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Japanese style hotel in the heart of Japan town in san francisco, of good quality and good value.
The rooms were always cleaned daily, of good size, with a bath and shower.
Free wifi access in lobby and rooms which was very helpful. We found it's location great to see concerts at the Filmore, with a cinema near by and many shops. It is also walking distance ( about 20 mins) or a short taxi ride into central san francisco to union square park and the many shops and Westfield shopping centre.
There's a restaurant at the hotel serving good food, we tried that one morning but there was so many places near by that we often preferred to explore other places.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Lara_M1,

It was really great to read your review. It is always nice when a guest really experiences the hotel and the neighborhood. Japantown has so much to offer, and we do our best to help, but it seems you are an expert in your own right. Please feel free to contact me if you need anything; we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were disappointed to see the lack of service at Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco. When we arrived, the bellman started screamig at us that we couldn't park the car in front of the hotel, then when we explained we had to unload our suitcases he didn't even help us with them. He gave us wrong directions to the parking lot, at all times in a super bad mood. The reception staff was flawless, but the first impression was already destroyed. Next day, cleaning ladies woke us up knocking at the door at 8AM to do room-cleaning.....We loved Japantown though, which was one of the highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Juliewolf

Dear Juliewolf,

We are so sorry for the service that you received, It was deplorable, and I am disheartened. Please know that I directly manage the bellmen and have spoken to all of them. The importance of the first impression is critical, and your feedback has been extremely helpful in correcting us. I hope you will give us a chance to regain your confidence; please call me at anytime to further discuss this matter.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

First the hotel is clean and very nice..the staff was great and very professional . A great value ..Beautiful japanese gardens and super cool 60/70 architecture .. I'd totally stay there again. It's central location in Japan town was great.. There's a ton of good restraunts , mall, and a grocery store with in a short walk from the hotel..plus added bonus of having a wonderful spa also a short walk from there.. I highly recommend it..

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jasonburk
Imran J, Front Office Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Dear Jasonburk,

Thank you for the kind words and high recommendations. We are so pleased that you had the ability to take advantage of every amenity the Hotel Kabuki has to offer. We hope to see you again soon. Until then, please let me know if I can be of service in any way.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My Husband and I stayed at the Hotel Kabuki again recently, and my experience reminded me of the line from Memoirs of a Geisha, "Everything about her, not just her home, was less than before."

We reserved a corner king room and asked for a room with a view of the Japan Center. When we checked in, I again requested a room with a view of the Japan Center. The room we were given was on the 2nd floor with the huge building air conditioning units outside blocking the window. We called down to the front desk and they gave us a different room right away, with the requested view, but it got things off to a bad start.

The rooms had not changed at all, and ours was starting to look a bit worn. San Francisco had had terrible storms the night before and the carpet in front of our sliding glass door was wet; I don't really think I could fault them for that, as everyone we spoke to started out by mentioning the storm. There still is no place to unpack your clothes, so our suitcases (again) stayed open on the floor for the entire trip. There were fewer and less nice bath amenities. They still had the nice scrubbing soap, but gone were the bath salts and orange eye de-puffs. Our toilet closet had a mysterious stain on the back of the door. The water pressure was still really high - my Hubby commented he should have brought his car so it could have a pressure wash in the shower.

Gone is the complimentary hot tea when you check in. Gone are the free breakfast coupons. Also gone are the free wine and sake happy hours. I didn't think it was possible, but the valet parking was more of a mess than it had been before, even though their one valet was a very nice man.

Overall, we were happy to have come back, but I'm not sure that I would want to stay here the next time that we come.

Room Tip: Go for a corner king room on an upper floor. The highest rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MsMarg0

Dear MsMarg0,

Thank you for your review and candid feedback. I really do apologize that your experience did not meet your expecations. I understand all your frustrations and would like to speak with you further. Please note we have updated our amenties to all Lather products including bath salts. We hope you will return and allow us to serve you better.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My boyfriend and i got a corner room for a good price like $120. it is pet friendly which in the city is rare. a private balcony on our corner room and the coolest bathroom ever! We have stayed here twice. Oh and just recently we found a great restaurant called Tommy's Joynt that is walking distance from Kabuki. We will def. stay here again!

Room Tip: get a corner room it is the best value!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear timmi420,

Thank you so much for the kind words. We hope to see you again soon and to keep delivering a great expericence. In the interim, we are all at your service.