“It was just...OK”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #75 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I did an overnight here while in SF for business. I always wanted to check out this hotel. I know nothing as good as the "real thing" (having been to Japan) but, I like Japantown. I stayed on a Monday, by myself, in the cheapest room they have. Lobby is lovely and staff was nice enough. Valet parking is $40 or you can go and pack yourself for $20 a day in the garage next door. No in and out if you do that.

My room was next to an elevator (which I usually request not to be near, but I forgot as it was a last minute booking). This elevator was used by staff, and was often noisy throughout the morning. It was really annoying. This room was 712.

The room has nice decor, however, things are a bit chipped and rough around the edges. The bathroom is quite strange, with two showers and a soaking tub. The toilet and fixtures were very outdated and had rust issues. The bathroom really needs an update. I felt like it hadn't been touched since 1972.

The bed was very comfortable. Noise from the street wasn't bad. My view is of the neighborhood. There was a really nasty (and probably still is) cigarette butt on the little patio. I was so grossed out by it I kept the windows closed the rest of the trip until when I left.

One of the outlets in my room didn't work, and I didn't realize until the morning. A shame, I plugged my laptop into it and it didn't charge overnight.

The restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday evenings. Really disappointing, as I'm not a Korean food fan and the sushi I have had in the neighborhood after 9 PM is not very good. I arrived at the hotel starving and ready for a nightcap, and had to suffer through not so fresh sushi at a place nearby full of Facebook brogrammers.

While I wanted to love this place, I probably would not stay here again unless I booked a larger, bigger, more expensive room.

Room Tip: No 12's - don't stay by the staff elevator. It's annoying in the morning that is for sur...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah S
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

We're glad to have welcomed you to our site Sarah and appreciative of your time in lending us this thoughtful feedback. As you likely noticed, our property has and is continuing to undergo upgrades across rooms and common areas, and while we're glad you enjoyed the later, we're sorry that elements of your room missed the mark. We will surely address this, and we hope that you'll join us again to experience some of the many others on site that are bound to impress. We'd love to welcome you back!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for two days. The location was good and very easy to get to food and groceries. It is kind of out of the way to downtown but you can take the Geary 38. I stayed at the Traditional Japanese Suite which no longer has a futon but has a business styled bed ( for those who couldn't handle a futon; be glad you aren't in Asia sleeping on a bamboo mat and hard bed. )

Room Tip: Suite face the street so noisy. Room 2301.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe T
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thanks for visiting and for reaching out with this kind review, Joe. We're so happy to hear that your experience was an enjoyable one, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in San Francisco. Please be sure to reach out to the team with any of your future booking needs; we're looking forward to hearing more from you!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Kabuki is a few blocks from the Kaiser heart hospital, so.......if you have one of those early morning apts Kabuki is perfect. The fact that we have stayed here before and now stayed here again indicates our satisfaction with this hotel. This time we had a Garden room which was redone and perfect for our stay ($149+ all the taxes).......inside and fairly quiet (for a city hotel). I was disapointed that their bar and restrurant was closed (Sunday and Monday)....but......the desk suggested a nearby place, we went and enjoyed the family atmosphere. When you reserve ask for a Garden room or a corner room or an upper floor....from our experience these rooms are not affected by the city traffic. We recommend the Kabuki for location, price and the very friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It's such a pleasure to welcome you back and to hear that you're continuing to enjoy our site and the dedicated services of our team. They'll be happy to hear this, and we look forward to welcoming you back again and to showcasing even more of the site and services you've come to know of our Hotel Kabuki. Many thanks for your visit and this thoughtful review.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Nothing blew us away but everything was fairly good. Service is casual but not bad.
Great location in Japan Town just a few minutes walk away from Fillmore street with plenty of great restaurants and cafés.. I would recommend this place for the location and value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

It's such a pleasure to have shared our site and services with you, and we appreciate your time in reviewing the visit. We hope that you also had a chance to experience our Izakaya Lounge, and we hope that you'll join us again to share in even more of our site and offerings. All our best until then.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Even though everything wasn't perfect it is a beautiful place to stay. The "garden" area was beautiful and well maintained. The lobby was really nice. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We did not eat in the restaurant because it was expensive. The hotel rooms are expensive but I was there for a conference and they had a block of rooms set aside for us at a discounted rate. All in all it was a good experience and if it wasn't so expensive(at the normal rate) I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for best room available. We were on the 6th floor so a room on a higher floor might be quieter...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you during this business trip, and we hope that you'll join us again to experience much more of our site and city. Our dedicated team would love to share our expert knowledge of them both with you, and to help you to take advantage of some of the many efficient ways for experiencing each. Please be sure to reach out the next time you're in San Francisco; we'd love to host you again!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We flew into SF and decided to stay over a night to go out to dinner and see a little of the city on our way to Camel. It was Memorial Day weekend so a lot of other hotels did not have availability. Hotel Kabuki was a pleasant surprise, the rooms were fairly spacious for SF, and the room was clean and fairly quiet. The soaking tub was great and the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. Underground parking is available with direct access to the hotel - much less expensive than valet parking, $10 versus $50 for valet. It is not a luxury hotel and is showing some signs of age (like a lot of SF hotels) but is definitely a good value overall. The lobby décor was serene and inviting with a fountain and Japanese garden.

Room Tip: We were on the 15th or 16th floor and it was fairly quiet. You may want to avoid rooms near the fre...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you during this holiday weekend, Deborah, and we thank you for reaching out with such a thoughtful review. We're so happy that you enjoyed the relaxing comforts of our property, and we look forward to welcoming you back and to showcasing even more of our special hospitality. Please be sure to reach out again the next time you're in San Francisco!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My good friend was getting married in San Francisco close to Hayes Valley and I wanted to stay close by in a decent hotel. I did my google search and came upin this little gem. It was a cute little boutique Japanese- themed hotel that had all the bells and whistles of luxury. We booked a King Corner Room which is the best one for my opinion for privacy. It gave us a private corner balcony to walk about and enjoy the sweeping sights of the city. It was a bit more in price but my boyfriend treated me since it was my birthday weekend also. The bathroom was something else. It had a deep japanese style soaking tub that allowed me to relax in the eucalyptus bath salts that were provided that gave me pure bliss from all the day-to -day walking around. There was a nearby mall next door that had a Daiso. I love Daiso. Its a cheap little 99 cents store but with asians being asians,(I can say this because I am) prices hike up to $1.50 for everything in the store. It helped me afford random items I wanted like a belt, bottled water and lint remover for my coat. The location was a few blocks away from the wedding destination but I really enjoyed my stay here. Comfortable and clean. Would stay here again. Only thing we didnt do is take advantage of the Kabuki Springs Day Spa around the corner and the movie theatre. Theres always room for next time.

• Stayed: March 2014
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We're so happy to have been able to share in this birthday weekend with you, and we appreciate you time and attention in lending us this fantastic review. We're thrilled to hear that our site and services exceeded the mark and that our offerings lent comfort and convenience to tis celebratory occasion. We'd certainly love the chance to welcome you back and to help build future memories alongside you, and we hope that you'll reach out and afford us the opportunity.