“Sadly, not the best :(.”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #76 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The positives about this property is that the staff was very nice and that it is nicely located if you want to be in Japan town. Aside from that, there is no much else to say. It was sort of clean but not well kept (the facilities need a to be maintained. The closet celling was falling apart and the bathroom had some “areas of opportunity”). It looks like it was a very nice property in the past but it is clear that new management is not taking care of the property. The room was a bit old and felt dirty. The location made it hard to find taxis and public transportation.
I won’t return to this hotel mainly because the room felt “dirty” and run-down but also because the room shared a balcony with a neighbor room which can be uncomfortable specially when traveling alone. I didn't feel comfortable sharing a balcony and had to close the window treatment which made the room dark. The AC was also not working properly. These details were definitely a detriment to my stay.
I would say that, from some rooms, you can get a glance of the Golden Gate which was kind of neat and the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: If you do stay there. Go to the Japanese market down the road. I had amazing Japanese food there for...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

While we're glad to have welcomed you, we're sorry that your respective accommodations missed the mark. We have many exciting improvements underway and ongoing renovations to our many rooms, and it would be an absolute pleasure to be able to host you again and to showcase others that are bound to surpass your expectations. We hope that you'll reach out to the team the next time you're in town and afford us the opportunity. All our best until then, and many thanks for being our guest.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our past stays at Hotel Kabuki have been very pleasant, and we even gave a getaway there as a wedding gift once.
On the plus side, we like the neighborhood, and parking at the Japantown garage is convenient & fairly affordable. There are great views of the city from rooms on the higher floors. The soaking tubs are a nice treat.
However, on our recent visit, things went sour from the moment we arrived. We pulled into the circular drive just long enough to check in since we were on our way to dinner & not ready to park for the night yet. Immediately a valet started shouting at me to move the car. No greeting, no "welcome to the hotel -- if you are checking in you can park temporarily over there." When I went to the registration counter to get keys, again there was no greeting, no "welcome to the hotel." Just, "I need to see a photo ID and a credit card." Charming hospitality.

The room had some missing items - hand towels, water glasses, and only one bathrobe. I had to return to the lobby to request them because the room phone didn't work. Room decor showed signs of wear & lack of maintenance. Sink backslpash was chipped and the toilet lid was cracked.

Some of these issues are forgiveable, but the seemingly prevalent attitude of staff that guests are an inconvenience is not.

5  Thank zinlover
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

We're thankful to have a loyal guest in you, and we apologize for those service shortcomings of your recent visit. This is atypical of our more common hospitality, and we'll be sure to share your concerns to prevent recurrence. We encourage you to reach out to our management team with those lingering concerns you have, as your satisfaction is our primary concern. Thanks for your continued attention, and our best wishes until we're able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely lobby and garden but as others have said, a bit tired upstairs. We were jetlagged on arrival so our corner room on the 7th floor was just perfect.
Plenty of transport and a n interesting neighbourhood to explore.Excellent breakfast for our tastes and pleasant bar with a popular happy hour and small plates (open tues to Sat).

• Stayed: June 2014

We're so glad to have created a memorable and relaxing visit for you, and we appreciate your time in extending us this review. We'd love the chance to welcome you back and to showcase some of the other rooms on site that are bound to surpass expectations, and we hope that you'll reach out again soon!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I did an overnight here while in SF for business. I always wanted to check out this hotel. I know nothing as good as the "real thing" (having been to Japan) but, I like Japantown. I stayed on a Monday, by myself, in the cheapest room they have. Lobby is lovely and staff was nice enough. Valet parking is $40 or you can go and pack yourself for $20 a day in the garage next door. No in and out if you do that.

My room was next to an elevator (which I usually request not to be near, but I forgot as it was a last minute booking). This elevator was used by staff, and was often noisy throughout the morning. It was really annoying. This room was 712.

The room has nice decor, however, things are a bit chipped and rough around the edges. The bathroom is quite strange, with two showers and a soaking tub. The toilet and fixtures were very outdated and had rust issues. The bathroom really needs an update. I felt like it hadn't been touched since 1972.

The bed was very comfortable. Noise from the street wasn't bad. My view is of the neighborhood. There was a really nasty (and probably still is) cigarette butt on the little patio. I was so grossed out by it I kept the windows closed the rest of the trip until when I left.

One of the outlets in my room didn't work, and I didn't realize until the morning. A shame, I plugged my laptop into it and it didn't charge overnight.

The restaurant is closed on Sunday and Monday evenings. Really disappointing, as I'm not a Korean food fan and the sushi I have had in the neighborhood after 9 PM is not very good. I arrived at the hotel starving and ready for a nightcap, and had to suffer through not so fresh sushi at a place nearby full of Facebook brogrammers.

While I wanted to love this place, I probably would not stay here again unless I booked a larger, bigger, more expensive room.

Room Tip: No 12's - don't stay by the staff elevator. It's annoying in the morning that is for sur...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah S
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

We're glad to have welcomed you to our site Sarah and appreciative of your time in lending us this thoughtful feedback. As you likely noticed, our property has and is continuing to undergo upgrades across rooms and common areas, and while we're glad you enjoyed the later, we're sorry that elements of your room missed the mark. We will surely address this, and we hope that you'll join us again to experience some of the many others on site that are bound to impress. We'd love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed here for two days. The location was good and very easy to get to food and groceries. It is kind of out of the way to downtown but you can take the Geary 38. I stayed at the Traditional Japanese Suite which no longer has a futon but has a business styled bed ( for those who couldn't handle a futon; be glad you aren't in Asia sleeping on a bamboo mat and hard bed. )

Room Tip: Suite face the street so noisy. Room 2301.
1  Thank Joe T
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thanks for visiting and for reaching out with this kind review, Joe. We're so happy to hear that your experience was an enjoyable one, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in San Francisco. Please be sure to reach out to the team with any of your future booking needs; we're looking forward to hearing more from you!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Kabuki is a few blocks from the Kaiser heart hospital, so.......if you have one of those early morning apts Kabuki is perfect. The fact that we have stayed here before and now stayed here again indicates our satisfaction with this hotel. This time we had a Garden room which was redone and perfect for our stay ($149+ all the taxes).......inside and fairly quiet (for a city hotel). I was disapointed that their bar and restrurant was closed (Sunday and Monday)....but......the desk suggested a nearby place, we went and enjoyed the family atmosphere. When you reserve ask for a Garden room or a corner room or an upper floor....from our experience these rooms are not affected by the city traffic. We recommend the Kabuki for location, price and the very friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It's such a pleasure to welcome you back and to hear that you're continuing to enjoy our site and the dedicated services of our team. They'll be happy to hear this, and we look forward to welcoming you back again and to showcasing even more of the site and services you've come to know of our Hotel Kabuki. Many thanks for your visit and this thoughtful review.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Nothing blew us away but everything was fairly good. Service is casual but not bad.
Great location in Japan Town just a few minutes walk away from Fillmore street with plenty of great restaurants and cafés.. I would recommend this place for the location and value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014
KabukiHotelManager, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

It's such a pleasure to have shared our site and services with you, and we appreciate your time in reviewing the visit. We hope that you also had a chance to experience our Izakaya Lounge, and we hope that you'll join us again to share in even more of our site and offerings. All our best until then.