“ Comfortable - Excellent Service ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #73 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Park City, Utah
“ Comfortable - Excellent Service ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had an enjoyable long weekend at the Kabuki and were impressed with the service and liked the location. We were on the 16th floor during the earthquake and everything shook but no damage. San Francisco was not really hit but I was happy we were staying at the Kabuki. Front desk and Manager Ben run a first class operation. The rooms are nice, restaurant is ok and bar is good ambiance.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
We're thrilled to have been able to share this visit with you and to hear that it was an enjoyable one, in spite of the city's rumblings. Our team works hard to make every experience both comfortable and memorable, and we're glad to have accomplished this so successfully for you. We look forward to sharing this feedback with Ben and the others, and we hope to welcome you back to even more of our acclaimed hospitality the next time you're in the area. Safe travels until then, and many thanks for this visit and feedback!

Craig Waterman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Wailuku, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at Hotel Kabuki for a weekend in December 2013. We paid for a higher rate to get some bonus Hawaiian Miles. I received no miles at all, much less no bonus miles. I emailed (with my Hawaiian Miles number, and the original reservation) the manager of the hotel twice in May and July 2014, as well as the Joie de Vivre chain. No response. I contacted Hawaiian Airlines, and they told me to contact the hotel directly. Very frustrated. Should not have to go to this much trouble, time, and energy to get frequent flyer miles. I wish the hotel management would respond.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DrDaveMaui
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
While we're glad to have welcomed you, we're certainly sorry to hear of these frustrations, and we'd love the opportunity to speak with you further and to correct this where we can. Please feel free to reach out to Scott Bolton, our Front Office Manager, at your next earliest convenience: sbolton@jdvhotels.com or 415-614-5440. We're looking forward to talking through your concerns and to finding a satisfying conclusion. Best wishes until then, and many for bringing this to our attention.
Moreno Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

I lucked into a pretty last-minute reservations for the Hotel Kabuki in Japantown in San Francisco in mid-August. Only $229/nite on AAA.com, plus parking. I had a reservation for 2 nights and wanted to add another (at the same rate, of course), and the hotel reservations agent was able to do that for me after first saying the third night would be $419. A friend who had lived in SF recommended the hotel to me. It was quite nice. All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. I liked the Japanese touches; I found it different and tried to let a little serenity sweep over me! The bathroom was lovely with a great shower and plenty of room for toiletries. We liked the panels over the sliding door and the little balcony to step out on. The only oddity was how you had to turn on the TV. When I checked in, the front desk clerk explained to me that the key card had to go into a little slot by the door to turn on the lights. He said it was an energy saving measure. I didn't get how it was, but ok. So, that night my husband tried to turn on the TV and couldn't. He called the front desk and was told that the key had to be in that little slot for the TV to work. Yep, that's what had to happen. When we went to bed, my husband went over and removed the key, and, in just about the time it took to walk back to bed, the entry light and the TV both turned off. No other way to turn either of them on or off. Weird.

But the breakfast buffet was good. Expensive, but it's a big hotel in SF. It's to be expected. Very cheerful service. Unlike another reviewer, we found the location somewhat inconvenient. We couldn't walk that many places we wanted to go. Even Mapquest told me that it was too far to walk to Union Square! But the room and the hotel were scrupulously clean and nice and safe. A taxi was almost always sitting on the street in front of the hotel. If we liked Japanese food, we would have had more eating options, but we did find places to eat.

I recommend that there be a little card in the room, maybe on the TV, explaining how to work it. Also, while there was a room service menu, a menu for the hotel restaurant would also have been helpful. But we got a GREAT deal on the room, and the nice hotel helped add to our fabulous trip!

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view, and we got the 14th floor. That was nice. We slept with the patio...
Green Features: There was a little note saying they wouldn't change our sheets unless we asked them to, but they were changed each day even tho we didn't indicate for them to. Also, some towels were changed that were hanging up and not on the floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Grammatik0s
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
We're glad to have welcomed you and happy that you found our inviting hospitality so memorable. We'll most certainly share this with the team, along with those thoughts you've offered that might enhance the guest experience. In our commitment to being green, we must also consistently ensure to clearly communicate the functionality of our tools. Thank you for bringing this to our attention; we'll be sure address and refresh this to ensure an optimal experience for our guests. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, and we hope that you'll think of us again the next time travels return you this way.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was there on a business trip. This hotel has a Japanese twist. I liked it. Here is my experience:

(1) Lots of space in rooms - bed is reasonable. You can enjoy the view on one of the city's landmark (Japanese monument).
(2) I like to walk, I don't mind it. If you are reasonably healthy, you can easily walk to the stores downtown, you can walk to the Ghirardelli place (more demanding walk), and you can walk to Haight and Ashbury (I did).
(3) Neighborhood is safe. A couple of restaurants around. Mostly good Asian food.
(4) Hotel breakfast are not always a good deal. This one is rather good, offers many options and not too expensive. I recommend it.
(5) Taxis parked right in front of the door. A limo service can be hired at a very good price. Very practical for airport commute or to go to your meeting.
(6) gym room is minimalist, but there are still good equipments for your cardio.

I would consider returning.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan P
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you to our Hotel Kabuki, Jonathan, and to hear that you enjoyed the experience so fully. As you've noted, we strive to provide our guests with the perfect balance of engagement with the city or escape from it. Whether you're looking to relax in our comforts or to explore the many offerings of our region, our site is perfect for both, and we hope to welcome you back the next time travels return you this way.

Roseland, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Even though it is located away from the typical tourist attraction sites, it is still within walking distance. Loved the room decor and the separation of toilet from the shower and deep soaking tub and plenty of space to hold toiletry. The neighborhood is safe with so many places to eat. We loved it

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ellen Z
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for being our guest and for the kind thoughtfulness of this feedback, Ellen. It's a pleasure to have been able to share our site, hospitality, and regional connectedness with you, and we're so glad that you enjoyed the experience. Please be sure to reach out with anything that might make your return even more enjoyable!

Tsuyama, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in Hotel Kabuki only because closest to California Pacific Medical Center.
Window in my room was decorated in Japanese style but nothing to talk about.
We had two rooms, single room is fair but twin bed room is not large enough for two beds.
Each room had Keurig coffee maker but coffee pack, condiments were not high quality.
Basic WiFi is very, very slow, hi-speed WiFi costs $11.95 for 24 hours.
Desk is wide enough but not enough for laptop to work comfortably.
Small American breakfast was $16.00, typical Japanese breakfast $20.00.

This hotel is far from most of attractions in San Francisco and not for tourists, I think.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shigeru1
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We're glad to have had the opportunity to host you, and we appreciate the time and thoughtfulness of your review. We're sorry that elements of you respective room missed the mark, and with variety available across our property, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to one that's better suited to your preferences. We hope that you'll afford us the opportunity and that you'll reach out again the next time you're headed this way.

Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Every 4-6 months I come in from out of town for medical tests at CPMC. I have stayed at the Hotel Kabuki several times during these trips. They offer nice patient rate and are a shuttle stop for CPMC. This makes it very convenient for those needing to go back and forth to the hospital. Every time I have stayed at the Hotel Kabuki, I was welcomed by a very friendly desk attendant. The check in process is easy and efficient (as is the check out procedure). It is true that the hotel is starting to show a bit of its age but it is still a very nice place to stay. They rooms are clean and well appointed. Additionally, the beds are very comfy! The location is convenient; in the center of Japantown with lots of great food options, a quick bus ride to The Wharf and close to a food store and additional shopping option. A few people mentioned that the TV's are small. In comparison to the larger hotel rooms, yes they are. I also like that the hotel offers Free in room Wi-Fi since I often need to get work done while staying at the hotel.
I have eaten in the restaurant a few times as well. The food is always very good but pricey for what your are getting.
But all in all, I need to say that I am usually pleased with the rate I pay for the experience I receive. I will always stay here when I am traveling to San Francisco as a CPMC patient.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Tonya33
CWatermanGM, Manager at Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
We're thrilled to welcome you back and to hear that you continue to enjoy the many many offerings of our Hotel Kabuki. We strive to afford you with a visit to rival each one before, and we hope that you'll reach out to our management team with any thoughts that might make your return even more comfortable. Whatever we can offer would be an absolute pleasure!