“I really liked tis place”

Hotel Kabuki, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #74 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
bend oregon
“I really liked tis place”
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I wish I would have stayed here my whole trip to SF. This place is a quiet cute place. Everyone was nice and polite. For sure not a high end luxury hotel, but a clean, quality hotel. Breakfast was nice, expensive but room service always is. I had just stayed at the Hilton Union square and this room service was much nicer. My room was on the small side. I wish my tub would have been scrubbed a bit better. I really liked all the Japanese shops and food. This is a great place for kids, its so mellow.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
london
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Nothing to rave about but nice hotel. Nice surroundings. Parking was $16 a day which you need to factor in. Breakfast too expensive so we ate out. Walk 2 blocks away to Filmore street area. Great shops and bars. Also Pacific Heights area is nice. Didnt think much to downtown San Fran ...too busy and quite a few down and outs. Alcatraz worth a visit if you are there. SEa lions at Pier 39. Had great Indian Buffet in Filmore street! Very inexpensive.Enjoyed our stay in San Fran.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference. When I got to my room after the events on the first night, I found the bathroom had not been cleaned since the last guest stayed, and cleaning materials were left on the bed. The second room they gave at least had clean towels, but there were used tissues from the last guest lying around! Disgusting.

Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank formertbi
California
Reviewed 30 November 2010

There are only a few things that you can do to seriously upset me. One way is to wake me up by pounding on the door before 9:00 a.m. to ask when I will be leaving. On the first morning she harassed the children to tell her when she could make up the room. When I asked the boys to tell her "when we left for the day" she demanded the boys give her a specific time. Not once, but twice did she send the boys back to tell me that I must tell her "when" we would leave the room. Was the maid afraid that someone would steal her tip? I have no idea. I did tell her that we would be staying over two nights. This gentle nudge did not deter her in waking us up on the following two mornings. I have to admit that I am still upset about this as my partner has such a difficult time with insomnia. He was away from home and work stresses sleeping soundly when she pounded, then unlocked and came in to see if we were there on the third morning. Talk about intrusive. The time was 8:45 a.m.
The breakfast that is served in the lounge was $19.00 per person for a buffet that was scant, bacon sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes, little pancakes and cold 5 minute oatmeal. So, with a 90 lb 14 year old, a 9 year old, myself, and my friend the tab was $79.00. For this pre-made buffet breakfast the price is absolutely unacceptable.
The shower had mold in the tile grout. There were two distinct varieties; pink and black.
The door opened striking the toilet. This made for a bruise just above the knee "ouch".
The tatami mats were filthy and falling apart.
The closet door had fallen off the track.
The cold water faucet was loose and slid around on the countertop.
The shower nozzle was turned so that the water felt like needles and I couldn't adjust the pressure.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Gypsytraveler09
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Spacious comfortable room in this Japanese themed hotel.

Will use them again, they used to be the Miyako Hotel when I first stayed here.

Bit of a walk to/from downtown, however San Francisco is one of the few places in the US where the car isn't king, it's a nice walk down the hill, or theres a good bus service stopping just up the road.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 25 November 2010

When I booked the Hotel Kabuki, I requested a Deluxe View King Room. I was given the option at the end of the reservation process to request an eStandby Upgrade. Instead of having to ask for an upgrade at check in, if it is available, you automatically get it for an extra fee, but at a reduced rate. I did this. For an extra $9/nt, I was upgraded to a Corner King Room. This room had a private balcony with sliders on two sides. It was also a large room.
Everyone I came in contact with at the Hotel Kabuki was pleasant, and there was always someone around to help when I needed them.
The room had pots and cups to make coffee and tea. The bathroom was large and had a soaking tub w/ shower head as well as a separate shower. The chaise lounge in the room was perfect to rest and watch TV on and there were many stations available - both local and cable.
I can't think of anything bad to say about my stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Mailgirl
autieG
Reviewed 10 November 2010

We found Hotel Kabuki to be a very nice choice for the price. The corner king seemed a bit larger than the regular king room and had two sliding doors with narrow decks. The west view was beautiful especially at sunset. My husband is a stickler for cleanliness and this room almost met his standards (there were a few finger prints on the mirror in the bathroom and shower doors). I found the room to be very clean. The bed was super comfortable and we had a late check out of 1pm. We ordered the chicken ramen noddle soup from room service but it was a bit bland. The food arrived promptly and the service was fine. The parking was very easy in the underground garage at Benihana's and was only $16. The valet parking is $40. We didn't explore the area much but it was clean and safe. We will definitely use this hotel again when we come to the city if the price is right.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple