“A great, renovated hotel in a good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Griffon

Hotel Griffon
Ranked #28 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salem
“A great, renovated hotel in a good location”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We stayed for a weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone said "HI" to us and answered all of our questions. The rooms are typically very small, as this is a downtown property that is quite old. Our room on the 4th floor had everything we needed. All of the modern things, but the charm of the hotel was well preserved. Our room (403) was unique, as the floor was sloped a few inches from the door "up" to the bed. It was not a problem for us, but it was interesting to see the closet door bottom cut on a slight angle to accomodate the slope. It made the room even more charming and special.
No street parking, so valet is the only thing available. A block from the Ferry Terminal and lots of restaurants in the area. The hotel restaurant was very good, too.
We would go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I had a two night stay at Hotel Griffon for a business trip. The room was comfortable, but a bit small. Sink was outside the bathroom facing the bed. I had to hunt for the light switch that controlled the sink light -- it was on the side of the vanity, not on the wall. To save on space, the flat screen television was mounted on the wall above the sink -- great for watching in bed, but impossible from anywhere else in the room. The 10 foot high ceilings allowed the TV to mounted above the sink, but this made for awkward viewing angles. The elevator is small and slow. I ended up taking the stairs a few times which was fine. Staff was helpful in arranging taxi rides. My room faced the finance district, so not much of a view. The bar/restaurant was always busy at night. Fitness center is two doors down the street.

The hotel was nice, clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the bay.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveler2011068
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Hey Julio & Marco - I just wanted to send you a quick note thanking you for making my brief visit to SF much more enjoyable. Your flexibility and latitude in meeting my crazy interview schedule and personal requests was SO appreciated. It's practically unheard of to find your kind of congenial service these days. You're a credit to your profession and most certainly to The Hotel Griffon. Looking forward to seeing you on my next visit.

1 Thank Gnaws
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 21 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this lovely, historic hotel after deciding to pass on the awful property that Priceline booked us into on a "bid" (read - $1.00 less than published rate). I found the Griffon on a Boutique Hotel search of San Francisco and was able to get a great internet rate. We opted for the lowest available rate, which I am sure translated into an "inside room" (no view). In the reservation request I noted that we were celebrating my Husband's birthday and would appreciate any consideration ....when we arrived they had already upgraded us to phenomenal Bay View room with a dead on view of the Bay Bridge and Treasure Island. In addition, there was a split of a reputable French champagne producer on ice as well as 2 flutes and a note congratulation my husband on the occassion of his Birthday. All this and parking was free as we drive a hybrid. The room was lovely with all the appointments you could wish for (MP3 player - plush robes - flatscreen, etc.) but it was their amazing staff that really made our weekend! I would recommend this hotel to nearly everyone (maybe not for small children)! Great location, great view, great staff and great rate - what more could you ask for! Hotel Griffon rocks!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Santacruzergal
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Guest,

You rock! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy to hear that you and your husband had an enjoyable birthday getaway at the Hotel Griffon. It is our pleasure to provide exceptional service and we are flattered by your compliments.

We hope you are able to return soon!

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Hotel Griffon Management and Staff
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Good hotel with very central location for business user such myself. intersting episode in reception while trying to make conversation with recepcionist from Russia. she took offense with my comment about how difficult it is for people from east europe to drop the accent due to the way the country schools teach english (i'm european as well). anyway just a warning, don't mention the accent to the receptionist. overall very good hotel indeed.

Room Tip: ask for room not facing brick wall
San Francisco
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My parents visit from the east coast each year and usually stay on our boat at South Beach Harbor. This was the first year in over ten years that they decided to stay in a hotel in San Francisco. Finding the perfect hotel was really important! I wanted a classic SF boutique hotel in an awesome location. Hotel Griffon was that and much, much more! First I did my internet research and made a call to check on rooms and rates. Matt, was so incredibly nice and helpful that I decided to stop by and check the place out. The warm and inviting atmosphere of the lobby and adjoining bar and restaurant are hard to describe. You just get a really friendly and inviting feeling upon entering the hotel. Each staff member we met was just as wonderful as Matt. The location on the Embarcadero across from the Ferry Building is ideal! There are plenty of restaurants close by, it's centrally located for walking and there is a YMCA two doors down. Perry's Restaurant, on the ground floor of the hotel, is fantastic. They offer a full menu of really reasonably priced entrees, something for everyone. We ended up having two dinners and one breakfast at Perry's; it's really convenient! I highly recommend the Bay View Suite; it's very spacious with a great layout of a bedroom area and separate living room space with killer views of the Bay, Bay Bridge and Ferry Building. The standard rooms offer the same view and would be fantastic if you don't plan on too much hanging out in the room. We chose the suite which worked out perfectly for the two of us and my parents to have a drink and hang out before dinners. I will definitely book a room for my parent's next annual visit as well as recommend this gem of a boutique hotel to other friends and family!

To recap:
* Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff (Matt was great!).
* Classic SF boutique hotel; a gem.
* Perfect location; convenient, safe, great area to walk and explore, plenty of restaurants.
* Convenient restaurant and bar in hotel.
* Bay View suite is really spacious, great layout, killer views.

Hotel Griffon and the staff are wonderful!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank galenaonthebay
Belmont, MA
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Great room at a great price
I left my Ipad in the room at checkout and the staff watched over it for me all day!

I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
MGRhotelGriffon, General Manager at Hotel Griffon, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hotel Griffon. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were also able to take advantage of our relationship with the local YMCA. Our staff strives to provide exceptional service and appreciate your acknowledgment of them. It is our pleasure to watch over any forgotten items, such as your IPad as we understand how stressful it can be leaving valuables behind.

We look forward to your return.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,